Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Long story short, I have a five weeks old white Galaxy Note 2, selling on CL, for a new iPhone 5. I bought my Note 2 direct from AT&T last month, full retail, in excellent condition. I have been with Android for three years now, but getting bored, looking for a change, and with the Jailbreak out now for the iPhone 5, willing to try it out again.

Anyways, my best deal is a guy with a 3 week old white iPhone 5, with receipt and box etc.. His is an AT&T iPhone 5, still on 6.1. His iPhone 5 is NOT jailbreaked, and NOT unlocked. UPDATE; just found out he's on 6.1.2 :(

I am running Straight Talk ATT, been on that for over a year and loving the service for the low price, I know no LTE but that's ok. My question is, can I just pop in my micro SIM card into the iPhone 5, and it will work ? Or do I need to have it officially unlocked to work ? And will my micro SIM card even fit in the iPhone 5 ?

I hope do not have to unlock, because I have read, by unlocking it will automatically update to the latest 6.1.2 iOS, thus, no jailbreak out for that.

My AT&T Note 2 I did not unlock, I just popped in my Straight Talk ATT SIM right out of the box, turned on phone, and it worked first time, no unlock needed. Yes I had to change some APN settings to get it to work perfectly, but that took 30 seconds, and it was working perfectly, still never unlocked.

Is there a jailbreak for 6.1.2 ?

Last edited:

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Doesn't ST sell nano SIMs now? (I haven't looked, TBH) I figure they do since they sell the iPhone 5.

Anyhow, my wife uses an AT&T-locked iPhone 4 with ST - it does NOT have to be an unlocked phone.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Am I crazy for thinking of trading my new Galaxy Note 2 for an iPhone 5 ? been with Android three years now, I love Jellybean and all, but just getting bored now, want to try something different. Plus, I have to admit this Note 2 is just too large for me.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
I'm gonna say crazy. I would rather have the Note 2.

Even with a jailbreak iPhone 5 is that not cool fun and different, compared to the Note 2 ? My main beef with the Note 2, after one month, just not comfortable with the size still, is too large for my liking. I know the iPhone 5 is the complete opposite in size, might be too small for me, but I am ready for something different.

I have been with Android for three + years now, I do like it a lot, but getting bored. Some friends have jailbroken iPhone's, and it does seem fresh nice. Good thing with an iPhone 5 is the resale value, say I hate it, can sell it again very quick for good money, and by another new Android phone this Spring, if not happy with the iPhone 5 after a couple of months.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
You won't have access to the APN settings directly from the iPhone because it will default to the AT&T settings when it detects the AT&T Straight Talk SIM. You'll want to go to straighttalksim.com from the iPhone and select DATA/APN SETTING to download the profile file that will set the APN for you.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Doesn't ST sell nano SIMs now? (I haven't looked, TBH) I figure they do since they sell the iPhone 5.

Anyhow, my wife uses an AT&T-locked iPhone 4 with ST - it does NOT have to be an unlocked phone.

Just checked and no they don't. Actually, they had an option for iPhone for type of phone and now they don't. They just sell the Tmobile regular SIM now (online at least). I guess they want you to get the iPhone directly through them now.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Am I crazy for thinking of trading my new Galaxy Note 2 for an iPhone 5 ? been with Android three years now, I love Jellybean and all, but just getting bored now, want to try something different. Plus, I have to admit this Note 2 is just too large for me.

Nope they have about the same used value right now.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Just checked and no they don't. Actually, they had an option for iPhone for type of phone and now they don't. They just sell the Tmobile regular SIM now (online at least). I guess they want you to get the iPhone directly through them now.

Based on a change that they just announced for Net10, it appears that they've temporarily stopped selling the AT&T Straight Talk SIMs to transition the plan from "unlimited" data to 1.5GB. The SIMs are still for sale on Walmart.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.