Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Madwitch

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
North Yorkshire, UK
Please can someone help? I have a template document which contains an address on the front page. That same address is repeated in the footer on each of the following pages. Is there a way (in idiot speak!) that I can just enter the address on the front page and it will then pick up in all the footers? I've got various sections, but the footer is the same in all of them. Thanks in advance.

Madwitch

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
North Yorkshire, UK
Hi. Sorry to confuse you! It's a survey template with a header and footer on every page except the first. OK so far. On the first page, the details include the address of the property. This address then appears in the header (not footer as I said before) on each of the following pages. The document is divided into sections and at the moment I have to keep typing the address into the header of the first page of each new section (hope you are still with me!). I'm basically lazy and wanted only to type the address on the front page and then for the rest of the document to pick it up automatically. (Really this template would be better off done in Illustrator or Photoshop but my client doesn't have these programs so it's got to be on Word). Thanks!

Madwitch

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
North Yorkshire, UK
Thanks - I've got the headers linking together throughout the document. What I want to do is to link the address which appears in the main part of the text on the Front Page to the centre section of the header on the following pages.

Eg:

Front page says:

20 Feb 2013
Survey for
Mr & Mrs Bloggs
23 Anytown Street
Anytown

On the following pages it says:

Briggs & Co ( ) Page 1

I want it to say is:

Briggs & Co 23 Anytown Street Page 1

At the moment I have to type the address in the header of each new section (there are nine). I need a macro or something which will pick up the address on the front page and automatically insert it in the centre section of the header.

Any ideas?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Now I get it!

Since I presume this is the "matter" of the document, I suggest you do this.

File -> Properties -> Custom Tab -> Matter -> "23 Anytown Street"

Like so:
Screen Shot 2013-02-24 at 7.17.29 AM.png

Then in the header use Insert -> Field -> DocProperty -> DOCPROPERTY "Matter"
Screen Shot 2013-02-24 at 7.19.00 AM.png

B

Madwitch

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
North Yorkshire, UK
Wow Thanks! Got this more or less working - but - each time the template is used the address changes. Will I need to change this in the first stage each time? Thanks ever so for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.