Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 9, 2006
Of all things, I was in the passenger seat of a car and sat my iPad 3 on the dashboard to answer a phone call, and it slid off and fell edge down on the floor mat - maybe a 3 foot fall onto carpet. Didn't seem like a bad fall and I didn't even bother looking at it right away. Went to use it tonight and the entire screen is shattered. Damn. I was going to wait for the iPad 5 to come out before replacing it, but now I'm either faced with paying the $299 for a new screen or just biting the bullet and buying a 4. Of course I have a 64 gig with cellular so it would be substantially more for the 4. Ugh. I have it in an Incipio Smart Feather case so I guess whatever I do I will be getting a case with more protection.

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
... "and it slid off and fell edge down on the floor mat - maybe a 3 foot fall onto carpet."

you must have a tall car for the iPad to fall 3 feet to from the dash to the carpet. gezzz... :eek:

richpjr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 9, 2006
... "and it slid off and fell edge down on the floor mat - maybe a 3 foot fall onto carpet."

you must have a tall car for the iPad to fall 3 feet to from the dash to the carpet. gezzz... :eek:

LOL - okay, maybe 1 1/2 to 2 feet.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Oh man, that really sucks OP. At this point, I'd probably pay Apple for a replacement and wait for the newer model later this year.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 9, 2006
Oh man, that really sucks OP. At this point, I'd probably pay Apple for a replacement and wait for the newer model later this year.

That's what I'm leaning towards, but I'm tempted to try out the base model mini and and tether through my iPhone 5 until the iPad 5 comes out.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
That's what I'm leaning towards, but I'm tempted to try out the base model mini and and tether through my iPhone 5 until the iPad 5 comes out.

If you can do without i'd wait to see if the March-April rumors are true for the iPad.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
Apple can fix shattered iPhone screens, so it's worth checking if it can be fixed (depending on what's actually broken it might be less)

richpjr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 9, 2006
So I went to an Apple store and paid the $299 to replace it - ugh. I worked on the guy for a while but he wouldn't go for giving me a free replacement.

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
So I went to an Apple store and paid the $299 to replace it - ugh. I worked on the guy for a while but he wouldn't go for giving me a free replacement.

You should let your wife/girlfriend/friend-that-is-female go in. There is a much higher percentage of getting a free replacement due to gender.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 9, 2006
You should let your wife/girlfriend/friend-that-is-female go in. There is a much higher percentage of getting a free replacement due to gender.

I thought about that, but I really needed to get it swapped out today and it just didn't work out for any shameless exploitation on short notice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.