Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adamb10

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
My 2012 MBA is experiencing an odd problem where it refuses to charge and I have to reset the SMC chip. It seems like I'm having to do this a couple times a week now. Is there a way this can be fixed so I'm not having to constantly reset the chip?

Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My 2012 MBA is experiencing an odd problem where it refuses to charge and I have to reset the SMC chip. It seems like I'm having to do this a couple times a week now. Is there a way this can be fixed so I'm not having to constantly reset the chip?
You absolutely shouldn't need to reset the SMC frequently. I'd take it to Apple and let them diagnose the problem, which could lie with the battery, the MagSafe adapter or your logic board.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

greendragonflyz

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
I have a brand new MacBook Pro and I have to reset the SMC at least once a week. What a defective piece of crap. Any suggestions? Should I just return it to Apple? Help!

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
I have a brand new MacBook Pro and I have to reset the SMC at least once a week. What a defective piece of crap. Any suggestions? Should I just return it to Apple? Help!
Take it back Apple if you can but the question is WHY are you resetting the SMC? Have you called Applecare and gone through there procedures?

Left4DeadBoy

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
hi You can buy a new Mac seeing that yours is the twenty twelve model . Although every Mac model faces problems that doesnt mean the recent one can .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.