Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwp333

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2006
Maybe the 2012 iMac is the worst rollout ever for Apple? It's almost March and there's still a 3 to 4 week delay on shipping? I'm a 2007 iMac owner and was in the market. On top of the fact that I'm not blown away by the new features, this delay is really making me lose interest. Sorry for the negativity, but just felt the need to vent frustration.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Maybe the 2012 iMac is the worst rollout ever for Apple? It's almost March and there's still a 3 to 4 week delay on shipping? I'm a 2007 iMac owner and was in the market. On top of the fact that I'm not blown away by the new features, this delay is really making me lose interest. Sorry for the negativity, but just felt the need to vent frustration.

Well, I suppose the only way Apple could have addressed your complaint would have been to wait until enough products were in supply then release the iMac. Of course, the flip side would have been those who were whining about not having a new iMac available to order would have been whining louder.

I look at this way, just be happy that the iMac is available and you will get yours soon.

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
Well, I suppose the only way Apple could have addressed your complaint would have been to wait until enough products were in supply then release the iMac. Of course, the flip side would have been those who were whining about not having a new iMac available to order would have been whining louder.

I look at this way, just be happy that the iMac is available and you will get yours soon.

Agreed, and I think it's definitely worth the wait. I love these new machines: powerful and stunning.

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2011
Well, I suppose the only way Apple could have addressed your complaint would have been to wait until enough products were in supply then release the iMac.

No.

Apple has all the money in the world to build new factories and hire more people to produce their products faster, but they choose not to, because they are greedy.

This is also a strategy, that hurts their customers, but gives their products the "hard to get = very valuable product" image. It´s called scarcity strategy.

http://www.celebritybrandingagency.com/blog/what-can-apple-teach-us-about-branding.php

1) Scarcity = value. Have you ever wondered why Apple always seems to run out of products after a new release? Surely the company that revolutionized the smartphone can figure out how many iPhones are expected to sell in their opening weekend—and can handle the logistics required to ensure that their stores won’t run out of stock. You’re right, of course. Apple could easily overstock their stores to ensure that everyone who wants a product can get one. But by deliberately running out of stock, Apple is able to create a perception of scarcity and value.

PavelT

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
i do honestly think this is the worst imac release apple has ever made. I am totally fine with the delay. it took me about 5 weeks to get mine. that is fine. I understand. but the string of problems i have encountered is not fine. i have had 3 previous imacs, and NEVER had any problems with them, strait out the box. nothing whatsoever. yes i love the build of this machine, being lighter and all, usb3, etc. but i have this buzzing noise coming from it, this other weird ticking noise, that i am currently dealing with apple about..:mad:

kendall69

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2011
What's the problem?

I called the Mac Store, they had a a 27" 3.4 with Fusion 15 minutes later I walked outwith it.

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
All Your Memes Are Belong to US
I upgraded from a 2007 as well. I'm typing this on my replacement, just got a second replacement set up, this afternoon after having this one out of the box an hour last night only to find out the camera doesn't work.
Despite all the frustration that I am having getting a fully functioning iMac I'm impressed with the upgrades, it's a lot faster than the previous one I owned. Now I just want one that works with no issues.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
The worst rollout? When that one CEO said, "Apple is like a ship with a hole in it, and my job is to make sure everyone is rowing in the same direction." Maybe not a product. But it was bad.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
No.

Apple has all the money in the world to build new factories and hire more people to produce their products faster, but they choose not to, because they are greedy.

This is also a strategy, that hurts their customers, but gives their products the "hard to get = very valuable product" image. It´s called scarcity strategy.

http://www.celebritybrandingagency.com/blog/what-can-apple-teach-us-about-branding.php

1) Scarcity = value. Have you ever wondered why Apple always seems to run out of products after a new release? Surely the company that revolutionized the smartphone can figure out how many iPhones are expected to sell in their opening weekend—and can handle the logistics required to ensure that their stores won’t run out of stock. You’re right, of course. Apple could easily overstock their stores to ensure that everyone who wants a product can get one. But by deliberately running out of stock, Apple is able to create a perception of scarcity and value.

While I certainly don't agree with your annoyance and what you perceive Apple to be deliberately doing, I will say this, be honest about it, no BS, you know if you were the CEO of Apple or any company that causes the kind of excitement as Apple does you'd use the same strategy you're accusing Apple of doing.

People salivate rather than ignore when something is hard to get. I see it first hand on this forum. People are crying that their iMac is on backorder for over 2 months. Haven't seen more than 5 people here cancel their order and go somewhere else though.

As soon as something is over-saturated in availability and super easy to get, people tend to get standoffish and bored and find things to complain about it such as lack of innovation, blah blah blah. Trying very hard to talk themselves out of buying it because the company has given them nothing to salivate over.
That's the main reason why people jump through hoops to buy something new is because they want to be first on the block and/or it's in short supply. The latter being the general reason.
If people truly needed a machine now and their work was dependent upon it, they wouldn't be waiting for Apple's latest machine on several weeks of backorder.

yourashero

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2009
They are very greedy and good at it. The hard to get rarity that apple implies is ridiculous. Its definitely not the first time they've done this though, or the worst rollout in history. Its actually par for the course.

The problem for me is that I generally would like a faster computer near when one is released, but I restrain myself and wait for the following one to come out. By that time, my model is archaic and really needs to go. Then I get to wait around for 6 weeks for a new computer and worry if mine will be broke or not and how long will it take for me to receive a replacement. (I played that game with my last imac)

They also want to cut out the middle man and stop resellers from carrying their products. Just like their scarce manufacturing facilities, the apple stores are just as few and far between.

Its so horrible for customer service, but its a cash cow on steroids.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
Umm.. The purpose of Apple is to earn money for its shareholders. It's not to satisfy internet trolls, people who wait too long in between upgrades for their own needs or really anyone else. it is what it is. If you don't like it, buy something else.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
No.

This is getting old...

This is not a new thing. I offer this as it is as current now as it was when first published...

http://www.misterbg.org/AppleProductCycle/

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
No.

Dozens of places you can order 21 and 27 inch iMacs right now..... heck I was in an Apple Store the other day that had several.

Now go do your homework and cry to your mommy :rolleyes:

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2011
...you'd use the same strategy you're accusing Apple of doing.

How do you know what I would do? If you want me to be honest then no, I would not use the same strategies that Apple uses. I would try to make the best possible products and the most powerful from the best materials, so the products would last many many years. Screw the planned obsolescence strategy! Then I would do my best to have the products available asap to as many people as possible. Screw the scarcity strategy!

I´m not a greedy like the people at Apple and their shareholders. There´s actually still some people in this world that want to make it better.

People salivate rather than ignore when something is hard to get. I see it first hand on this forum. People are crying that their iMac is on backorder for over 2 months. Haven't seen more than 5 people here cancel their order and go somewhere else though.

As soon as something is over-saturated in availability and super easy to get, people tend to get standoffish and bored and find things to complain about it such as lack of innovation, blah blah blah. Trying very hard to talk themselves out of buying it because the company has given them nothing to salivate over.
That's the main reason why people jump through hoops to buy something new is because they want to be first on the block and/or it's in short supply. The latter being the general reason.
If people truly needed a machine now and their work was dependent upon it, they wouldn't be waiting for Apple's latest machine on several weeks of backorder.

I thought I already explained this. It´s called scarcity strategy. Why are you paraphrasing me?

They are very greedy and good at it. The hard to get rarity that apple implies is ridiculous. Its definitely not the first time they've done this though, or the worst rollout in history. Its actually par for the course.

Indeed. At least some people understand this.

Umm.. The purpose of Apple is to earn money for its shareholders... it is what it is...

And this is exactly the reason why everything is **** in this world. People with this attitude are the cancer!

Shareholders blah blah blah.... Yes I know it´s all about profit and pleasing the shareholders blah blah blah... And that is plain greed! So at least let´s be honest about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
How do you know what I would do? If you want me to be honest then no, I would not use the same strategies that Apple uses. I would try to make the best possible products and the most powerful from the best materials, so the products would last many many years. Screw the planned obsolescence strategy! Then I would do my best to have the products available asap to as many people as possible. Screw the scarcity strategy!

I´m not a greedy like the people at Apple and their shareholders. There´s actually still some people in this world that want to make it better.

Firstly, you need to take a chill pill, seriously. Yeah, well, with your way of thinking no company would have you as their CEO, you'd run them out of business for sure. You're way of thinking (while it makes sense on paper from a customer standpoint) is so you'll be able to sleep at night, but your company will be going bankrupt during the day. Making sure to build products that will last for several years, keep around plenty of stock would not only end up costing a king's ransom to the customer but it will also keep customers from buying new ones for several years while oversaturating the company inventory. I guess you feel your way of thinking will get you enough business up front so your company can stand on it's feet for several years until customers decide it's time to buy something new. It ain't gonna happen. :p

If Apple makes you this mad, go buy from another company. Why call a company greedy and still buy from them? I certainly wouldn't. If you're not a customer of Apple then creating this thread was nonsense.

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2011
Firstly, you need to take a chill pill, seriously. Yeah, well, with your way of thinking no company would have you as their CEO, you'd run them out of business for sure. You're way of thinking (while it makes sense on paper from a customer standpoint) is so you'll be able to sleep at night, but your company will be going bankrupt during the day. Making sure to build products that will last for several years, keep around plenty of stock would not only end up costing a king's ransom to the customer but it will also keep customers from buying new ones for several years while oversaturating the company inventory. I guess you feel your way of thinking will get you enough business up front so your company can stand on it's feet for several years until customers decide it's time to buy something new. It ain't gonna happen. :p

If Apple makes you this mad, go buy from another company. Why call a company greedy and still buy from them? I certainly wouldn't. If you're not a customer of Apple then creating this thread was nonsense.

What I wrote earlier applies to you as well:

And this is exactly the reason why everything is shait in this world. People with this attitude are the cancer!

Sure I know it´s "utopian wishful thinking and I could never be a CEO in this world at this time", but if every company would have my attitude, the world would be a better place for everyone. Watch the Zeitgeist movies.

The reason why I´m buying Apple products is simple. Is just picking one evil from the multiple evils. Apple being one the most evil and greedy ones out there. Still making nice products, but making me mad with their greedy and stupid business strategies. Who knows, maybe I don´t buy Apple products anymore the next year and in the future... I´m not a fanboy. I can switch as easily to something else as when I switched to Mac.

Last edited:

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
No.

So in other words, Apple should build enough capacity to handle the initial 3-4 months of pent up demand, and then what, idle the capacity the rest of the product cycle for that model? Are you willing to pay even MORE for that shiny new iMac? You'll have to, in order to pay for all that idle fixed cost. This is also the reason that Apple uses outside vendors for its iOS devices - they can quickly bring on hundreds of people to handle the initial demand, then slowly reduce labor to match the steady-state demand. This isn't about corporate greed, it's about necessity. I doubt you'd want to pay $0.01 more if you knew you were paying for factories and people and distribution that is underutilized.

And as far as deliberately running out of stock to create the perception of scarcity and value, THAT would be the Microsoft Surface Pro. Apple would love nothing more than to keep up with their demand, as they can sell them faster than they can make them. They don't need to employ smoke and mirrors to create the perception of value - the products speak for themselves.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
No.

You have no idea what you are talking about.At all.None.

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2011
So in other words, Apple should build enough capacity to handle the initial 3-4 months of pent up demand, and then what, idle the capacity the rest of the product cycle for that model? Are you willing to pay even MORE for that shiny new iMac? You'll have to, in order to pay for all that idle fixed cost. This is also the reason that Apple uses outside vendors for its iOS devices - they can quickly bring on hundreds of people to handle the initial demand, then slowly reduce labor to match the steady-state demand. This isn't about corporate greed, it's about necessity. I doubt you'd want to pay $0.01 more if you knew you were paying for factories and people and distribution that is underutilized.

Why is it that the people always have to pay the corporate losses? Too big to fail? Too big to put few dollars on new factories and workers? Why can´t the rich people take a bit of a loss for once for the good of the people? Oh no, always have to maximize the profit! Gotta have 10 Ferraris and private planes etc... Makes me sick! And then the ignorant fanboys even defend this kind of disgusting greedy behavior, makes me even more sick!

Apple (and many other companies) definitely should open their wallets and take a hit, so we could get freaking computers faster, not wait for over 2 months! In fact, they should pay even more for their slave labor workers in those suicide factories! But oh no, gotta maximize the profit! Can´t let a penny go to the people!

Why do we have to pay more for the products, if Apple takes a hit? They are already swimming in money.

And as far as deliberately running out of stock to create the perception of scarcity and value, THAT would be the Microsoft Surface Pro. Apple would love nothing more than to keep up with their demand, as they can sell them faster than they can make them. They don't need to employ smoke and mirrors to create the perception of value - the products speak for themselves.

In that case, if it´s not a planned strategy, then they are just freaking incompetent and just plain stupid! That´s the only other option. Because THEY DO HAVE THE MONEY AND RESOURCES to build these computers faster if they wanted to.

You have no idea what you are talking about.At all.None.

Wow, there´s an argument! You´re the one with no freaking idea!

Last edited:

jwp333

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2006
"I'm guessing you weren't a Mac user when the Power Mac G4 was introduced."

Never had a Power Mac G4. My first Mac was the original lampshade iMac G4 700mhz which I thought was fantastic. Then came my current aluminum iMac 2.4 core 2 duo. So you can see that I'm not a frequent updater. I use the internet, email, and not much more for home use. Maybe libreoffice for a document or spreadsheet. What I have is all that I really need. But every now and then I get the itch for something new, especially something with a 27 inch screen.

Interesting comments to my original post. My thought is that Apple is not being greedy, they just got severely behind on the imac and weren't ready for release. Somebody miscalculated somewhere along the line in the development process. I still think these delays are embarrassing for them at a point almost 4 months in.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

Honestly, every new iMac redesign has had a back log. When they came out with the Late 2009 iMac's (the first of the 21.5 and 27" screens), I had to wait a month and a half to get my 27" i5 iMac. There were lots of problems with them as well. Trust me, this is par for the course with brand new iMacs.

Billywiz1307

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009
Knutsford, UK
Wow ApplesAOranges, good one. I thought I was the only one out there that thought the way you do.

And when these fanboys talk about "Apple's job is to earn money for its shareholders", WHAT!!! Hasn't Apple only just started paying a dividend to shareholders and it's stock has dropped over the last year, so the muppets that bought Apple stock are sitting on a shrinking $.

Don't get me wrong, I like Apple kit but jeez, get a grip fanboys, it's not that good.

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2011
I actually wish that this would be a planned artifical scarcity strategy, ´cause what I hate more than evil people, is incompetent stupid people.

So guys, which case do you think this is?

1. Planned artificial scarcity strategy

2. Plain incompetence (with a pinch of stupidity and greediness for not willing to hire more people and building more factories).

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011

If it were the worst rollout, then there would be plenty to go and buy at the store. Kind of like the Microsoft surface rt and pro.

Turns out this is probably one of the best rollouts in terms of upgrades. The screen quality is phenomenal, on the pc side you would spend maybe $1200 to get a screen even close to this good, yet there aren't any like this anywhere but from Apple. Then when you get to the graphics, fusion drive etc, it just cant be beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.