Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Hi,

I am unable to charge my iPHone 5 when its plugged in to a wall socket. Tried restarging the normal way and also, the rest option (power/home button).
Also, when connected to power source the screen does not respond.

it charges when connected to a computer so the charging point should be fine.
Anyone else having such issues or know how this can be solved ?

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Sorry, forgot to mention; When the phone is connected to the wall socket, it does make that sound that tells that its charging..but that's it...
its not charged and the screen is non-responsive.

But, nothing of that sort happens when trying from computer usb port.

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Might be a hardware issue or liquid damage.
Did you get it wet by any chance?

Nope, no liquid damage; it worked till yesterday and didn't really do anything after that. Also, just can't seem to understand, how its charging when connected to computer but not to any of the wall socket..

stephenj141

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
Texas
It must be having charger problem or some hardware issue with plug. Just visit to nearest Apple store and solve your problem.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I had a similar problem, turned out to be the plug that came with my iphone, the cord was fine. Got it replaced at the Apple store.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I had a similar issue with my iPhone 5. I would have to wiggle the plug around and re-insert it into the phone several times before it would start charging. And, if I barely touched the cable, it would quit charging. I got two replacement cables and they worked for a little bit, but eventually the phone quit charging all together. Apple sent me a replacement iPhone 5 about a month or so ago and it has worked great until two nights ago. I had to plug it in and unplug it a few times before it would charge. Hopefully that was just a fluke deal...but, if it keeps up, I am going to be calling Apple back.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Using the same cable? Have you tried flipping it over? Have you tried a different wall adaptor from an iPad, previous iPhone or any USB wall adaptor (all the same for the most part) to test the OEM? Tried wiggling both ends to see if its a bad connection?

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Using the same cable? Have you tried flipping it over? Have you tried a different wall adaptor from an iPad, previous iPhone or any USB wall adaptor (all the same for the most part) to test the OEM? Tried wiggling both ends to see if its a bad connection?

This was with 3 different cables, both the iPhone charger and an iPad charger, and two different USB ports on different computers. Apparently, toward the end, it wouldn't make a connection in the iPhone...it would seriously take me 20-30 minutes of messing with the cable before bed to get it to start charging. Then, I would have to put a rubber band around the charger and phone to keep it charging.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Just in case anyone else is having this issue, I figured out what was wrong. Apparently pocket lint builds up in the smaller port much more than the previous 30-pin port. All I had to do was take a paper clip and clean out the ton of lint that had accumulated in the port. Now I feel kind of dumb. :eek:

Reactions: Kelsey97

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Just in case anyone else is having this issue, I figured out what was wrong. Apparently pocket lint builds up in the smaller port much more than the previous 30-pin port. All I had to do was take a paper clip and clean out the ton of lint that had accumulated in the port. Now I feel kind of dumb. :eek:

Be careful with the paper clip. Compressed air will work better without damage.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Be careful with the paper clip. Compressed air will work better without damage.

I tried compressed air a couple of times prior to getting my phone replaced. I don't think the port is big enough to allow the air to blow the lint out. I think it just compacts it inside the port.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
so is this to say that your solution of cleaning the lint out didn't fix your problem like you stated previously?:confused:

No, I mentioned that just using compressed air didn't work. I didn't try the paper clip until I got my replacement phone and it did the same thing a week or two later. Now, when it won't charge, I gently use a rubber coated paperclip to remove the lint and it works fine again for a few weeks.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
iPhone 5 not charging when plugged in

Try a different outlet with the wall charger. One of my extension cord plugs was faulty and made my phone go crazy when it was plugged in. It was charging and not charing with the sound of charging non stop.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

bfhouse

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2013
Lightning only charges one way

Hey has any anyone seen the problem on the lightning only charging on one side? When i first got my iPhone 5, my phone charged reguardless of which way I plugged in the lightning cord (the promise of Lightning, right?). Just lately I have noticed that my iPhone only charges if I plug in the "correct" way... As there is no mark on either side, I cannot tell which is the "correct" way.. I have seen this consistent among the five charge cords I have irregardless of whether I use my computer or a AC adapter. I thought it was REALLY broken!! :eek:

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Hey has any anyone seen the problem on the lightning only charging on one side? When i first got my iPhone 5, my phone charged reguardless of which way I plugged in the lightning cord (the promise of Lightning, right?). Just lately I have noticed that my iPhone only charges if I plug in the "correct" way... As there is no mark on either side, I cannot tell which is the "correct" way.. I have seen this consistent among the five charge cords I have irregardless of whether I use my computer or a AC adapter. I thought it was REALLY broken!! :eek:

Did you buy the cords right after the iPhone 5 came out? I think I remember reading somewhere that the one-sided charging affected some of the early cables.

germaingoh

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2013
Phone charging and stopping

Everytime I charge my iPhone5, it would charge for a few seconds, stop charging, then stop charging again. This becomes very irritating when I am using my phone while it is charging as it would be vibrating non stop. I charged my phone overnight a few days ago. Could this be the reason? Someone help me please

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England

I had the sane problem and used a tooth pick. Less risk of damage

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
No, I mentioned that just using compressed air didn't work. I didn't try the paper clip until I got my replacement phone and it did the same thing a week or two later. Now, when it won't charge, I gently use a rubber coated paperclip to remove the lint and it works fine again for a few weeks.

Man you have a lot of lint in your pants

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.