Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cutwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Hi all --

The past few months my iPhone 5 has been shutting down (to the charge screen if I try to turn it back on) when the % meter shows anywhere from 10-20%.

What's even more confusing is that as soon as I plug it in to charge, it turns back on, and may even continue draining normally from there (from the 20% all the way to 0%).

Perhaps a related problem, I've had times where the battery was at 9%, then ticks normally to 8% and then suddenly drops to 4%.

Any ideas? The first problem is more troubling.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Someone I know had an issue with their battery too. I would take it to the Apple Store. They should replace it beforehand. Maybe restore it beforehand and use it, as then you can say you tried a restore because they might want to try and restore it before replacing it. So you would skip that step.

Jul 1, 2007
Indiana
Mine has been doing the same lately, dying at 7-12% and then requires a charge, but as soon as you plug it in it turns back on and is charged to 20%. Let me know if you find anything out. :)

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I've had my original launch day Iphone 5 do this, and pretty much each of the 2 replacements i've got after that. It did it sporadically in the beginning, but after i calibrated the batter a couple times, it hasnt done it anymore.

My 4S also did this about as many times as the 5. Calibrate a few times and it should be fixed.

Cutwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
I mean, technically I guess I calibrate the phone every time it shuts off. It powers off, I plug it in, go to bed, and it's at 100% when I wake up.

The problem still happens though.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Turn your phone off once in a while. I turn it off and back on once a week and the battery level stays fairly accurate.

Cutwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Turn your phone off once in a while. I turn it off and back on once a week and the battery level stays fairly accurate.

Isn't that what happens when it turns off at 10-20%? If that's so, I turn it off daily.

Cutwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Not technically, but if its happening daily, it sounds like you need to calibrate your battery properly.

How can I do that if my phone shuts off before it hits 0%?

Also, it doesn't ALWAYS shut off at 10-20%. Occasionally, it goes all the way to 0 (sometimes in huge 4% increments once it drops below 10%). Those times I charge it back up to 100%. How does that not calibrate it?

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
Try doing a full restore. I'd even set it up as a new phone. But do back up your contacts and pics.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
How can I do that if my phone shuts off before it hits 0%?

Also, it doesn't ALWAYS shut off at 10-20%. Occasionally, it goes all the way to 0 (sometimes in huge 4% increments once it drops below 10%). Those times I charge it back up to 100%. How does that not calibrate it?

Step 1: Charge it to 100%
Step 2: Use the phone until it completely dies. To the point where it will not reboot.
Step 3: Let it sit for several hours, 3-4 hours is a good amount.
Step 4: Charge to 100% without interrupting the charge. You can use it during this time if you want.
Step 5: After it reaches 100% let it trickle charge for 3-4 hours. Once again it can be used just do not unplug.
Step 6: Unplug and restart your phone and you are good to go.

I do this once every 2-3 months and my phone has never died before stating 0%

Goodluck!

Cutwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Step 1: Charge it to 100%
Step 2: Use the phone until it completely dies. To the point where it will not reboot.
Step 3: Let it sit for several hours, 3-4 hours is a good amount.
Step 4: Charge to 100% without interrupting the charge. You can use it during this time if you want.
Step 5: After it reaches 100% let it trickle charge for 3-4 hours. Once again it can be used just do not unplug.
Step 6: Unplug and restart your phone and you are good to go.

I do this once every 2-3 months and my phone has never died before stating 0%

Goodluck!

Thanks, but what I'm tryinig to say is that I have no control over step 2. If it shuts down at 20%, it won't start up again until I plug it into a charger, even if it's at 20%. It just shows me the red battery and plug icon when I hit power.

jackwills

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
New York, NY
Mine did the same thing for the 1st time lastnight, it died at 14% of battery while I was browsing. I thought it cause by jailbreaking it though.

Cutwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Mine did the same thing for the 1st time lastnight, it died at 14% of battery while I was browsing. I thought it cause by jailbreaking it though.

While I am currently jailbroken, this problem was occurring long before the jailbreak.

njain

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
maybe it has something to do with the newest ios update because ever since i upgraded to 6.1.2 this has been happening to my 4s too

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Thanks, but what I'm tryinig to say is that I have no control over step 2. If it shuts down at 20%, it won't start up again until I plug it into a charger, even if it's at 20%. It just shows me the red battery and plug icon when I hit power.

You can still complete step 2. If its completely dead, its dead.

Cutwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
You can still complete step 2. If its completely dead, its dead.

The red battery icon shows the equivalent of 20% charge (or whatever it shut down at) when I try to power it back on when it does this. That makes it doubly weird. It's as if it's realizing it's not completely dead, but behaving as if it is.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
The red battery icon shows the equivalent of 20% charge (or whatever it shut down at) when I try to power it back on when it does this. That makes it doubly weird. It's as if it's realizing it's not completely dead, but behaving as if it is.

What happens when you unplug it right after it booted up? Does it immediately die or can you use it for a little while?

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
my replacement iPhone 5 just did this.
got the replacement about 3 weeks ago due to poor battery. the replacement unit has been very solid on battery life (a few days ago, i managed to have it last a day and a half including 9 hours of usage). Today though, for whatever reason...when i was outside with about 25% battery left taking pictures, the phone suddenly shuts itself off. i immediately tried to reboot the phone, but it showed the no power symbol.

strangely, after a few minutes, i managed to get the phone boot up again without plugging it in and it was right back to 25%. something is very strange about this. maybe because it was cold outside?

Cutwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
What happens when you unplug it right after it booted up? Does it immediately die or can you use it for a little while?

Usually, it then returns to normal (ticks down from 20%, although sometimes with huge jumps (7% to 3% in one tick, for example).

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011

The battery icon on the no charge screen always shows a red bar which covers about 20% of the battery icon on that screen regardless whether you have this "issue" or not.

Cutwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
The battery icon on the no charge screen always shows a red bar which covers about 20% of the battery icon on that screen regardless whether you have this "issue" or not.

You really put issue in quotes?

Whether you like it or not, sometimes Apple products have issues, and it's OK to ask for/receive help for them.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Usually, it then returns to normal (ticks down from 20%, although sometimes with huge jumps (7% to 3% in one tick, for example).

I would then recommend keep booting it up and unplugging it until it is official dead. To the point as soon as you unplug the charger its on a matter of seconds till it dies again. Then do then calibration process.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
You really put issue in quotes?

Whether you like it or not, sometimes Apple products have issues, and it's OK to ask for/receive help for them.

Haha. I know apple products have issues, if apple products didn't have issues I wouldn't have my job. I was purely referring to the fact the OP made an issue about the out of charge screen having a bit of red on the battery icon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.