Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The publishing company behind a number of popular Dr. Seuss iOS apps has put most of its collection on sale in celebration of Theodore Geisel's birthday -- the real Dr. Seuss.

The sale runes through March 7th, cutting the prices for all the Dr. Seuss digital books and offering the Dr. Seuss Cat in the Hat camera app free.

catinthehat.jpg
"We're delighted to tip our hats to Dr. Seuss and say 'Happy Birthday' with a huge app sale," said Michel Kripalani, president of Oceanhouse Media. "Dr. Seuss fans look forward to this time of year as a great opportunity to expand their Dr. Seuss digital library. Plus, now all iOS versions of our Dr. Seuss book apps include a fantastic record and share feature that lets you be the narrator of your favorite Dr. Seuss story and then share your reading with friends and loved ones."
The company says all 44 of Dr. Seuss' books will be available as iOS apps by the end of the summer.

Books on sale include The Lorax, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish, Hop on Pop, The Sneetches, Horton Hears a Who!, The Cat in the Hat, If I Ran the Circus, and more.

Article Link: Over 40 Dr. Seuss Apps on Sale for Theodore Geisel's Birthday

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
My 4-year old son loves Cat in the Hat, Cat Comes Back, Green Eggs and Ham, and The Lorax. The app faithfully reproduces the book with excellent voice narration, with tasty retina graphics.

Having said that, these books are very frequently on sale, about once every 3 months.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Nothing was better than the Living Books versions of these. The Oceanhouse Media iPhone/iPod/iPad versions are shocking in comparison. Everything you touched would come alive - talk, dance, run, etc. There were some really cool mini games in there too (the later titles in the series had them anyway). They used to occupy me for hours and hours everyday as a kid. Green Eggs and Ham was particularly really good.

And actually now that I'm Googling, I just found out that Wanderful has just released iOS versions of a few of the old Living Books! :D Here is the sampler:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/storybook-sampler-wanderful/id583696319?mt=8

It doesn't get better than that IMO, and is a reason why I still have my CDs in a drawer. Educational software was miles better in the 90's and I've dug them up a few times for my brother to use when he was younger.

And yeah, these are always being discounted. Google Play always sticks a few for 10-25 cents whenever they have a sale. They're not very interactive, and they would be better as ebooks.

Aries326

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
I got all of these books for my kids. They love them.

Too bad Shell Silvertein's publisher hasn't translated "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and "Light in the Attic" into interactive books, I'd definitely get those for my kids.

I think the industry is still lagging when it comes to putting out books for kids. It's a shame. I'd rather see kids use the iPad for books than games.

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
I was, am, a huge lover of 'GO DOG GO'. I would look at those pictures over and over again. A friend next door was an only child who had the entire collection. My brother and I spent many a day over there, he playing with Hot Wheels and I reading from his little library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.