Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Question below

• Yes

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 30 63.8%

• Total voters

yth

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
Does the downgraded screen experience detract from the overall love towards the Mini after owning a high resolution MacBook and iPhone?

I just posted on this, but here's my 2 cents. I recently went to the Apple Store and tried out the iPad mini (reading PDFs, taking notes, etc.) Although I am *very* interested in buying something like the mini, the screen is just really bad compared to the MBP Retina. I decided that I wouldn't use the Mini very often. I thought the screen was even worse than the iPad 2, although I'm not sure if the specs are actually worse (it could be the difference in screen size, etc)

Of course, other people will have different opinions. I am mostly interested in reading PDFs and taking handwritten notes on the Mini, so your mileage may vary depending on what you want to do with it.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
I just posted on this, but here's my 2 cents. I recently went to the Apple Store and tried out the iPad mini (reading PDFs, taking notes, etc.) Although I am *very* interested in buying something like the mini, the screen is just really bad compared to the MBP Retina. I decided that I wouldn't use the Mini very often. I thought the screen was even worse than the iPad 2, although I'm not sure if the specs are actually worse (it could be the difference in screen size, etc)

Of course, other people will have different opinions. I am mostly interested in reading PDFs and taking handwritten notes on the Mini, so your mileage may vary depending on what you want to do with it.

Yeah this is why I've been in and 'looked' about 5 times and never come away with one.

The resolution in terms of PPI is actually higher on the mini than the 2 but I did find it a little grainy and the brightness was quite low.

yth

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
Yeah this is why I've been in and 'looked' about 5 times and never come away with one.

The resolution in terms of PPI is actually higher on the mini than the 2 but I did find it a little grainy and the brightness was quite low.

Yep, one of the bad things about owning a MBPR... The display is so good, it makes other displays look really bad. I have trouble using other computers because the screen looks so pixelated to me

bri1212

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
The answer to your question is IMHO "no".
I have an Iphone 5, Ipad 3, a Mac Book pro, and an Ipad mini.
I use the ipad mini to do a lot of reading (Ibooks) and viewing of videos, because of the form factor. I use my ipad 3 for work, I like the big screen for typing out orders and letters. Mac book pro, is only for those things an Ipad can't due well ( Adobe CS6, World Of Warcraft ).
I don't really notice the screen difference ( I rarely use them side by side ).
That's not to say I don't notice the better screen, but that when I am using the ipad mini, after the first paragraph, I rarely care about the difference.

yth

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
I use the ipad mini to do a lot of reading (Ibooks) and viewing of videos, because of the form factor. I use my ipad 3 for work, I like the big screen for typing out orders and letters. Mac book pro, is only for those things an Ipad can't due well ( Adobe CS6, World Of Warcraft ).
That's not to say I don't notice the better screen, but that when I am using the ipad mini, after the first paragraph, I rarely care about the difference.

You guys who have 1,000,000 Apple devices crack me up. How you can possibly use an iphone, ipad, ipad mini, along with a mbp retina computer boggles my mind, lol

kzhlin

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2012
Los Angeles
I have a rMBP and an iPad Mini (and maybe 1,000,000 more Apple things :p) and while the screen resolution on the mini isn't as great as the rMBP or iPhone 5, it is certainly acceptable. I'm assuming you don't read with the iPad mini a few inches from you face, and from a regular distance there's not much difference. Sure the text looks slightly sharper on my regular iPad retina, but it's not a big deal. Mini's size and weight wins. I bought my mini a few days ago, and I've completely stopped using my ipad retina for reading. Mini seems to have the ideal book reader size.

----------

It seems like once we're spoiled by the rMBP screen, many of us don't want to look at any other screens... lol.

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I seem to be full of apples these days, too, but it wasn't planned. App dependence led me from one device to another.

I have a MacBook Air from 2011 that doesn't get much attention, but I use it for when I need to do more complex things than my iPads can do. I have an iPad 4 and a Mini, each with its own purpose: the iPad for everyday things and media, the Mini for editing texts on the go. I decided to have separate iPads because I feel I can focus better on writing with a dedicated device and I need to finish a couple of books by 2014. However my case is probably not common.

I won't be upgrading any of these devices for some time, but with the money I've invested in apps I won't be buying Android or Microsoft either, despite the temptation to try something different.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

You guys who have 1,000,000 Apple devices crack me up. How you can possibly use an iphone, ipad, ipad mini, along with a mbp retina computer boggles my mind, lol

I think Bri1212 justified the use of each device pretty well.

I have a MBP, iPhone and iPad Mini.... Can't personally see the use for an additional iPad but different folks have different needs.

I use my iPhone when I'm outside the house this one should be obvious

iPad mini when I'm laying around the house watching tv, or laying in bed to surf the internet, check emails, use apps

and the MBP for heavy lifting like photoshop, rendering video and other things the ipad can't do

yth

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
please don't take offense! :D i'm just saying, 4 apple devices sounds crazy, but i do understand you use all of them! they just find very specialized uses

JohnIrvine

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2003
Northern Virginia
Nope.

I've got an rMPB, an iPhone 5, and I never go anywhere without the iPad Mini. Do I notice the screen resolution difference? Sure. Who wouldn't? Does it bother me? Not a bit.

Different devices have different characteristics. Either you like them or you don't, but comparing one different device to another is kind of silly to me. If the lack of a retina display bothers someone THAT MUCH, then go with the fourth-gen iPad. If you want the iPad experience anywhere you go, then forgive the pixel density and enjoy the device.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I always find this question mind boggling. I have the retina MBP and love it, and I love my mini. Though no one seems to ask, why do you use that macbook, it's so heavy in comparison to the mini. They don't say that because it is obvious that they are two very different computers, and should not be compared.
Would I like there to be a retina screen on the mini? If it could maintain the same weight and battery life, yes. But I don't compare it to my macbook.

TaylorMatsu

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Does the downgraded screen experience detract from the overall love towards the Mini after owning a high resolution MacBook and iPhone?

My first iPad was the iPad mini and I definitely liked it. I have an rMBP and tbh the resolution differences didn't bother me much at all. I didn't use my ipad mini for PDFs but I would occasionally read and I was always on twitter or viewing webpages with a lot of text.

I'm not sure what is up with the people who claim that the screen and PDF reading is a dismal experience, it is certainly not that bad

I currently use the iPad 4 (not to view PDFs and see things on the retina display) but because I preferred the larger screen

bri1212

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008

Suffice it to say, I use each device for different uses. And although I could do all of these things on my MBP, Why should I? When I have other devices which are better and easier and more comfortable to use for the task.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
I have a rMBP and an iPad Mini (and maybe 1,000,000 more Apple things :p) and while the screen resolution on the mini isn't as great as the rMBP or iPhone 5, it is certainly acceptable. I'm assuming you don't read with the iPad mini a few inches from you face, and from a regular distance there's not much difference. Sure the text looks slightly sharper on my regular iPad retina, but it's not a big deal. Mini's size and weight wins. I bought my mini a few days ago, and I've completely stopped using my ipad retina for reading. Mini seems to have the ideal book reader size.

----------

It seems like once we're spoiled by the rMBP screen, many of us don't want to look at any other screens... lol.

+1. i have macbook pro, iphone 4S Ipad 3 and never noticed any difference when using my Ipad Mini. Not a big deal to me. that's one reason i decided to buy one instead of waiting for mini with retina display. i had a Nexus 7 before and being that it has a higher resolution than a mini, i was surprised that the video i had on my itunes are better viewed on the mini than on the Nexus 7.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
I have an iPad 4 which for all intents and purposes is just as high resolution as the Retina MacBook and no, it didn't ruin the Mini for me.

The Mini is still awesome.

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
I have a 15" rMBP and an iPad mini.
I'm very contented with both devices, but they are each for very different uses since they have a totally different formfactor.

Well I chose the rMBP as my "workhorse" over the classic one because of the screen and design. I chose the mini as my ipad for its smaller lighter formfactor, because I carry it with me almost everywhere I go, sometimes I even use it in the car for it's GPS (I have a cellular model).

Yes ofcourse I see the difference in PPI, but I really do not care at all!
Both very different devices, thus for me very different uses.

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
I have a rMBP and I've used my mother's iPad Mini several times. To me, the screen resolution is absolutely dreadful.

That said, the device is otherwise quite nice. I'm fairly confident I'd buy a Retina Mini.

MasterRattler

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
I have an rMBP and a Ipad4. My daughter has a mini, so I have had all three side by side. The screen on the mini is a significant downgrade. But, if I didn't have the rMBP or Ipad4, I would think it was great. Same as with this Dell I'm typing on at work. It's ok, but I feel like its terrible coming from my personal rMBP. With that being said I love the form factor of the mini much better than my Ipad even with my daughter having a clunky otter box on hers.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Of course you'll use the mini, the rMBP does not travel with you to the bathroom well!!

All kidding aside, I've bought and returned the mini twice now, and finally bought one again when I got a deal on a new one I couldn't refuse. I went from being a hardcore hater to loving my mini. I also have a 15" rMBP I got about a month ago.

The mini is just SO convenient, I use it for twitter, Facebook, and streaming on Twitch. You have to just give the screen a few weeks and you'll stop noticing or worrying about the difference. I'd definitely recommend the mini as a companion device.

Gator Bob

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011

No, I rarely notice the mini's non-retina display, exactly the same as above.
I love the mini for times and circumstances in which its smaller size and considerably less weight make it my ipad of choice, MUCH easier to use than my iPad 3 or my Retina MacBook Pro.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
I, too, fail to notice the non-retina after a few paragraphs in iBooks. I can't tell much difference with movie watching either.

But with PDFs, I do notice it, (especially with scanned PDFs) which is why I'll be jumping to the retina mini whenever it comes out.

But form factor and weight are perfect. I can't see myself going back to 9.7.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
I have an rMBP, iPad 3, and an iPad Mini. I do UI work.

Screen quality is terrible on the Mini is terrible, but I get my work done on it when on the go, so it's not a show stopper.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I used to have a MacBook Air 11, iPad Mini LTE, and an iPhone 5. Now I've consolidated down to a rMBP 13 and a Galaxy Note 2. Suits my needs perfectly and I don't have to juggle and extra device like I used to when I had an iPhone and then needed to do something extra on the larger screen.

But when I did have the iPad Mini, I got used the non retina screen and the portability factor was more beneficial for traveling purposes rather than carry another larger device around. However, if you need something that just stays home to watch movies in bed, couch surfing, or do some reading on, then the retina iPad is the way to go.

Like many others, I am anxiously waiting for the Retina iPad Mini!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.