Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Hi, since i ve uptated my iphone 4S to the last current version of IOS which is 6.1.2, my wifi has greyed out.
i noticed on the beginning, some difficulty for being connected temporally, wifi gone after some minutes / hours.
lately it didnt work at all and eventually greyed out.
apparently latest ios may cause it or perhaps wifi chip not working anymore
i know Bluetooth is not greyed yet.
i made a full restore, reset general settings, network setting, it didnt work for now.
anyone has met that kind of issue?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
if you have done a restore already and its not working, you can try one more time. if that still doesnt work, it would sound like a hardware issue so yea as stated, i would goto apple and see if they can diagnose or replace it.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
well, i did everything, full restore on itunes etc...
but why hadware has an issue, right now on 6.1.2 and not on previous updates?
its out of warranty and after calling them, i must pay like 250$ to repair it or get new iphone

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
when i reboot iphone, it turned into greyed out, sometimes not, either reset settings, it does the contrary, get wifi button working but still no wifi, i could only see my own home wifi but still connecting forever

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
when i reboot iphone, it turned into greyed out, sometimes not, either reset settings, it does the contrary, get wifi button working but still no wifi, i could only see my own home wifi but still connecting forever

Have you looked at this from the other end? IE: check your modem / routers settings and re-set there...It won't hurt, and you may find that simply re-booting your router and modem will solve the problem.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Have you looked at this from the other end? IE: check your modem / routers settings and re-set there...It won't hurt, and you may find that simply re-booting your router and modem will solve the problem.
i tried it from work wifi, still not working :(
should wait for 6.1.3 and i will get the answer

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
i has cleaned out the phone with wet Kleenex, just little bit wet
it never dropped on the ground or water either

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i has cleaned out the phone with wet Kleenex, just little bit wet
it never dropped on the ground or water either

the wifi antenna, if i recall, is on the top of the phone. you sure no water seeped in through the back glass and shorted out the antenna? you can take the back apart since youre out of warranty and make sure the antenna is connected or maybe replace it.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
You have to go to the service center or store room for the replacement of this.
Tng-design.com

i see what you did there.

OP go to a reputable repair website or brick and mortar store. or scour the web for a possible replacement piece.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
There are some troublshooting steps for this here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1559. If these don't work for you, back up your phone and make an appointment at the genius bar at a nearby Apple store to have it looked at and possibly replaced.
yes i tried it yet.
it didnt work, sometimes wifi greyed out and for no reason, after reboot, reset settings, it comes back but wifi still not working just button has not greyed out.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
iphone has been jailbroken however i came back with ios 6.1.2 without jailbroken when i did full restore
jailbreak may cause wifi not working?

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
thanks you
by the way, should i trust for those online shop that can repair wifi?
i need to send my iphone through delivery post
i dont know, it cost less than 50$, much less expensive than apple official pricing

Niroe

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2013
I couldn't connect consistantly to my home wifi either, never noticed till I went to update to 6.1.2, after searching and seeing no solid solutions I simply tried turning off Blue Tooth and Shazam! I had wifi.... Worth a try goodluck!

gongfirst

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2013
Freeze it

OK this is sound very very stupid way, but it's work! I found on iPhone user website in Thailand. They turn off the phone , put iPhone in zip bag and keep them in freezer for 5 minutes.

at the beginning I really scare of losing my iPhone 4s, but after suffering from this problem for months, So I did it! and it's work!

Try it on your own risk, It's work for me. now my iPhone 4S wifi is working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.