Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I have a Panasonic, HTIB.

I have a macbook air, ip5 and ipad, I want to to be able to airplay spotify. How can I do it?

What other devices do I need to buy in order to achieve this.

Also, would it be better if I buy a Airplay receiver and ditch the HTIB.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you can get a refurb airport express for $69 from apple.

the airport has a combined analog / optical output, so you can either use a toslink to mini cable, or an analog cable with the red and white plugs, depending on what inputs your HTIB has.

you can either have the express join your existing wireless network, or connect it via wired ethernet.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Install the Airfoil speakers app on the iPad or iPhone. Hook up the iOS device running airfoil to you HTIB ( you can do this a lot of different ways). Send the signal from you Mac to the iOS device that is running Airfoil.

As mentioned, you can buy an Airport Express which would give you the additional benefit of sending audio from the iOS device. Airfoil had that ability at one time, but Apple must have made them change the app.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
you can get a refurb airport express for $69 from apple.

the airport has a combined analog / optical output, so you can either use a toslink to mini cable, or an analog cable with the red and white plugs, depending on what inputs your HTIB has.

you can either have the express join your existing wireless network, or connect it via wired ethernet.

for $30 more wouldn't the Apple Tv be a better option?

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
for $30 more wouldn't the Apple Tv be a better option?

Depends on what you want or need.

ATV offers more video functionality but needs to be connected to a TV to set up and does not have an analog audio output.

APX can serve to create a wireless network, if you don't already have it set up.

If you're planning to connect it to your home theater system via optical audio and you already have a wifi network set up, then yeah, an ATV is probably your better bet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.