Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxskorpion88xx

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
I wasn't able to find a list of all games that support retina resolutions without scaling.
Is no important if there was a patch after launch that introduce retina support

Word of Warcraft mists of pandaren 20fps ultra settings
Diablo iii
StarCraft ii

Help me to corroborate the list xP if you can indicate fps at Max details playable is better

xxskorpion88xx

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
It's old..as you can see Warcraft is not listed but however is a good starter point..let you write don t be shy

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Here is a list of Feral games that support for Retina resolution right now.

Mini Ninja
Brothers In Arms - Double Time
Lego Batman 1
Lego Harry Potter 1
Lego Star Wars Saga
Lego Indiana Jones 2
Battlestations Midway
Battlestations Pacific
Bioshock 1
Borderlands (Standard and GOTY)
Dirt2
Tomb Raider Anniversary
SM Pirates!

Games not on this list will get retina support the next time they are patched. Future games like GRID or XCOM will have retina resolution from launch.

Edwin

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Any game that doesn't utilize preset resolutions will support it.

Many games have been demonstrated to run on 4k screens. (Not pleasantly mind you due to the GPU demand)

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
None of those games will run at retina res on an hd 4000.

Trying to play retina resolution games on the HD4000 card is not usually a good idea. The HD4000 is not a dedicated graphics card so struggles to play most games at lower resolutions never mind super high resolution like native Retina!

:)

Edwin

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
None of those games will run at retina res on an hd 4000.

I think there's a difference between supporting a resolution and running at an acceptable framerate at that resolution! :p

Actually I would say neither :p

Supported = Game runs (Acceptable performance without side effects)
Runs = The game will run the game (Unknown performance, possibly unplayable)

If something is supported it means in my eyes that the performance is acceptable and the company who made the claim have checked the software is usable. Supported does not mean it won't crash it means the software will behave as expected.

We could say F1 2012 is supported on a 9400M card because we know it draws correctly, however the fact it too slow to be fun to play on even minimum settings means we don't say it is supported.

Cougarcat has a point that none of those games will be playable at a decent frame rate if you select Retina resolution on an HD4000 machine and Harveypooka has a point that rendering a frame does not equal playable.

However I would claim if someone says something is supported at X resolution it means it is completely usable and gives an acceptable experience. That's what supported means in my eyes.

Anyway enough of semantics ;)

Edwin

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Life is only a discussion over meaning!

I guess you'd be OK running something like WoW at maybe ~20fps but something like DX:HR would be painful.

Totally, a high speed racing game like GRID needs a high fps more than a turn based game like XCOM.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Guild Wars 2 will, but is only playable if you turn on sub-sampling and lower some settings. Still looks surprisingly good even with the sub-sampling!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Cougarcat has a point that none of those games will be playable at a decent frame rate if you select Retina resolution on an HD4000 machine

Yes, that's always what I mean by "runs." If a game is "running" at 10 FPS, well, that's more like "crawling," isn't it?

This reminds me, when Apple announced the 13" Retina, Phil Schiller made some comment about how great games are now supporting retina resolutions, and gave Civilization V as an example. Somehow I don't think he actually tried it on the 13" rMBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.