Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gaidin43

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
I have been a user of TiVo for a couple of years now and love the new stream they just released. However it is lacking Internet streaming which just isn't gonna work for me. I know Slingbox or even HDhomerun would work away from home via their app or vpn to watch TV but the advantage to the stream is it only uses one tuner on the main TiVo and doesn't hijack the TV if someone else is watching it.

So does anyone have ideas or suggestions on how to get the stream to work while away from home? VPN seems to have some issues with bonjour.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Another downside you need to consider is that since the Stream is designed to work on a home network, it doesn't possess the ability to alter the quality of its stream based on your network quality. Either you are going blow through your bandwidth at an alarming rate or (more likely) the video will be extremely choppy.

Gaidin43

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
I have LTE with incredible download speeds on my iphone 5 with unlimited and my FIOS at home I have no issue with bandwidth.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I have LTE with incredible download speeds on my iphone 5 with unlimited and my FIOS at home I have no issue with bandwidth.
I wrote the VPN How-To for the Optimum LiveTV App in the iOS Hacks section. Buy me a Tivo streamer and I'll write a how to for that to. hehe :p

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
This isn't really helpful to you, but my DISH Hopper with Sling Adapter works perfectly for providing this kind of connectivity for both live TV and DVR content streaming.

Gaidin43

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
I'm thinking a 350 Slingbox is gonna be the best way to go. It's $100 more then just the stream and $15 for the app, but for now eh it will work.

I really wish the stream had away from home wifi capability or the VPN hack worked.

Gaidin43

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
The only issue to along box is you need another TV and dvr or need to set it up on the main TV.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The only issue to along box is you need another TV and dvr or need to set it up on the main TV.

Why do you need another TV or another DVR?
When you're not at home you use the DVR box or other box to view your content.
Personally I have cable and all I need to do is plug in a splitter and a cable line going to my slingbox HD and then I can view all my channels live without using another TV's signal or box.

Gaidin43

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
I want to use my TiVo interface and recordings while away not just the basic cable broadcasts. And when the wife is home watching TV and if I'm away I am sure she would not be happy when the TV all of the sudden starts changing channels or playing recording.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I want to use my TiVo interface and recordings while away not just the basic cable broadcasts. And when the wife is home watching TV and if I'm away I am sure she would not be happy when the TV all of the sudden starts changing channels or playing recording.

Sounds like the wife will need to make sacrifices and watch tv in another room when you're slinging:D
Not much you can do about that though. You cant both use the same Tivo box at the same time to watch different content.

Gaidin43

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Oh I know you can't use both and we only have one tivo box hence the issue.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I got the Tivo app working over VPN with a caveat. Open the Tivo app first and have it connect to your Tivo before leaving the house. Then hit the home button. While outside on LTE, connect VPN, then open the Tivo app. It stays connected to the Tivo. I was able to control the Tivo and use the scrubber to fast forward back and forth.

The problem, if the connection is lost and it needs to look for the Tivo again, it will not find it over VPN. That part I haven't figured out yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.