Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmrahGS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2013
Hi all,
I am new to the mac world (for 6 months using a macbook now), and I am having the following issue. Hopefully someone will be able to help fix this as I'm going crazy because of this :)

I have got a Dune HD mediaplayer with a internal HDD in it. When connected via USB I can read/write/delete to the HDD without any issues. I managed to connect to the HDD wireless via the network (smb), but the problem I am having is that I can only read the HDD when I am connected via the network (as admin)!

When I click on Get Info, it says I have Custom Access and I cannot change anything (connected with USB it says that I have read/write access).

The issue is the Untitled volume. I also dont know what all those numbers behind the name are. Connected with USB the name is just Untitled, without those numbers!

drwxr-xr-x 36 root wheel - 1292 17 mrt 20:44 ..
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin - 1 17 mrt 20:47 Macintosh HD -> /
drwx------ 1 admin staff - 16384 19 mrt 20:01
Untitled_78571f31_b025_33c3_8c82_ceb5a2ad75a7

Does anyone know where this issue might come from and how to solve it? I really want to be able to write to that disk over the network.

Thanks!

Last edited:

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Apple's newer implementation of SMB doesn't support writing (yet).

cbott

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2012
Michigan
I'm running 10.8.3 in a Windows enterprise environment and can read and write to SMB without any issues (have been able to with 10.6.x through current OS - I wasn't using SMB prior to 10.6.x). I'm not saying that SMB works well but you should be able to read and write.

I think the issue is file permissions. The default behavior in OSX for all locally connected nonsystem volumes is to assign full permissions to all users. If you have the OS X Support Essentials Mountain Lion book you can reference Lesson 12.3: Managing Permissions. As soon as you disconnect the locally mounted volume (USB drive in this case) OSX will revert back to "normal" file permission rules.

My suggestion is to connect the drive via USB again and create a new user with read/write access in the Get Info window, eject the drive and then connect wirelessly via SMB as a registered user with the credentials you just created.

The only other issue would be if the drive is partitioned with NTFS. OSX can only read NTFS drives unless you download and install a third party program (NTFS-3G + Ntfsprogs). This holds true when connected via USB so I don't think it's the case with your issue.

Hopefully this helps.

Chris

assembled

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
London
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Apple's newer implementation of SMB doesn't support writing (yet).

hahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

The Apple SMB implementation is "interesting", but it certainly has write capability.

This is probably an issue with the Dune Player.

I would suggest copying anything off it that you want and formatting it via the Dune player, then trying to copy onto it over the network.

The account you are using on the Mac is irrelevant, what matters are the credentials that you are using over SMB to the Dune player,

EmrahGS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks all. Formatting the drive in Dune (NTFS) solved the issue :) I can now write over the network, but can not write when I am connected with USB!! :eek:

Thats why I formatted the drive via my macbook in the first place as Mac Extended. Is there any way of formatting to use it over the network and USB?

jhiesey

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
You could try formatting it as FAT32, which is called MS-DOS (FAT) in Mac Disk Utility. Unfortunately, you can't have files over 2GB (iirc) in size, and FAT32 is also not very good at recovering from crashes/power loss/etc., so that probably isn't a good solution for a media server.

A better option might be to install software that lets you write NTFS from your mac. I know of two programs for this:

http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

I have used the Tuxera software and it seems to work.

akshay.thakker

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
You could try formatting it as FAT32, which is called MS-DOS (FAT) in Mac Disk Utility. Unfortunately, you can't have files over 2GB (iirc) in size, and FAT32 is also not very good at recovering from crashes/power loss/etc., so that probably isn't a good solution for a media server.

A better option might be to install software that lets you write NTFS from your mac. I know of two programs for this:

http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

I have used the Tuxera software and it seems to work.

Hey, I just bought the Dune HD Max 3D & a WD 2tb 3.5 SATA to put it in the Dune (I use the MacBook Pro with all the movies on it)

However, I am facing serious problems getting any of the Dune file systems to work - when I put the new HDD into the Dune, it told me format it and gave me options for file sytems - EXT2, EXT3, & NTFS.

I have the paragon sw to read/write all three of the formats. So I picked NTFS in the Dune options. After formatting, I took the internal HDD out of the dune and connected it with my MacBookPro using a dock via USB. However, this is where the problem started. The MacBook Pro could mount & read/write the main HDD but not the partition dune had created on it. Which meant that I couldnt put any of my movies on it & insert it back into the Dune. Faced the exact same problem if I picked EXT2 or EXT3.

Any help will be appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.