Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinkcoffee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Florida
Hello.
I am using a Mac Book Pro, OSX 10.8.3
Running Remote Desktop Connection 2.1.1

I am trying to connect to my Windows 7 Pro machine at home from work.
When I clicked connect - it just spins - trying to connect and never connects.
Eventually, it seems like it kinda locks up because I can't click cancel or close it out - and I have to force quit the application.

I am running a virtual windows 7 as well, and I can RDP home with no issues from that machine.

Another side note - is when I am at home - the RDC works to my home PC with no issues

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Your work network protocols could be blocking the traffic. It's pretty common practice to ensure a safe environment for you.

Contact your network people and ask them.

I just reread that and it sounds awful. If it works everywhere except at work, then it MUST be your work network gurus locking it out. You can only get it to work by asking them to add an exception.

Or try a smarter tunneling software, something like Teamviewer.

pinkcoffee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Florida
I can connect from my Windows PC from my work.
I doubt it is my office - as we are network people. I remote into many many places all day everyday - just not from my mac.

zanapapa

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2013
I'm currently having the same problem. I am able to connect to my work computer if I use Windows via VMWare Fusion, but not through MAC version of MS RDC. Same symptoms as you, connection hangs with spinner.
Interestingly, I'm also in Florida. My ISP is Cox. I'm working with my Network Admins to figure this out. I will post if I come up with a solution. Can you check if you are able to use RDC through Windows either through Bootcamp or VMWare/Parallels?

ctucci

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Yer Mom's basement.
Hello.
I am using a Mac Book Pro, OSX 10.8.3
Running Remote Desktop Connection 2.1.1

I am trying to connect to my Windows 7 Pro machine at home from work.
When I clicked connect - it just spins - trying to connect and never connects.
Eventually, it seems like it kinda locks up because I can't click cancel or close it out - and I have to force quit the application.

I am running a virtual windows 7 as well, and I can RDP home with no issues from that machine.

Another side note - is when I am at home - the RDC works to my home PC with no issues

Under security, did you happen to click "Always connect, even if authentication fails"?

pinkcoffee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Florida
I have mine to connect regardless of authentication and it still fails.

Yes. It is set to connect even if auth fails.

----------

I'm currently having the same problem. I am able to connect to my work computer if I use Windows via VMWare Fusion, but not through MAC version of MS RDC. Same symptoms as you, connection hangs with spinner.
Interestingly, I'm also in Florida. My ISP is Cox. I'm working with my Network Admins to figure this out. I will post if I come up with a solution. Can you check if you are able to use RDC through Windows either through Bootcamp or VMWare/Parallels?

i can connect through my windows pc just fine via rdp

zanapapa

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2013
The only thing that seems to have changed is updating to OSX 10.8.3 a couple of days ago. How does one report a bug to Apple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.