Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidstokes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2013
Hi,

I have an iPhone 5 with free data, and i've a Macbook pro. Normally i setup a hotspot from iPhone to Mac when i'm not at home.

Is there a way to have it always on, at the moment even tho my hotspot is always switched on the mac doesn't see it until I turn the hotspot on and off and refresh the wifi list on the mac.

thanks.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Do you mean when youve been away from the mac phone in pocket so to speak? If so this is normal as hotspot powers down when not in use and required a refresh to come back. If it were to stay on your battery would die quickly.

davidstokes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2013
yes and no.

I use this mainly in the office, I have my normal work PC but my mac is not connected to the network as it's my personal Mac. The only internet is my phone.

I switch the hotspot on and after a while it just goes off. it might be that i way away from my mac and bring my phone with me.. so i drop out of range.. but when i come back the Mac doesn't connect back to the iphone even when the iphone hotspot is still switched to on.

I keep my phoned plugged in while in work so the power won't go.. So thats not a issue.

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
What I want to know is where do I sign up for free data for my iphone?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
What I want to know is where do I sign up for free data for my iphone?

And I'm in the uk and three offer it here to. Unlimited data and tethering for £25 on a one month rollin contract.

----------

yes and no.

I use this mainly in the office, I have my normal work PC but my mac is not connected to the network as it's my personal Mac. The only internet is my phone.

I switch the hotspot on and after a while it just goes off. it might be that i way away from my mac and bring my phone with me.. so i drop out of range.. but when i come back the Mac doesn't connect back to the iphone even when the iphone hotspot is still switched to on.

I keep my phoned plugged in while in work so the power won't go.. So thats not a issue.

Yes as I thought if your device goes out of range hotspot powers down after five minutes or so and requires a refresh toggle off on to bring it back. If it was to keep listening for your mac to come back in range your battery would suffer.

davidstokes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2013
And I'm in the uk and three offer it here to. Unlimited data and tethering for £25 on a one month rollin contract.

----------

Yes as I thought if your device goes out of range hotspot powers down after five minutes or so and requires a refresh toggle off on to bring it back. If it was to keep listening for your mac to come back in range your battery would suffer.

Ok cheers. Sometimes i'm at my desk in work and it goes off.. but i suppose turning it on and off is not the worst thing to do to have internet access.

Cheers.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Ok cheers. Sometimes i'm at my desk in work and it goes off.. but i suppose turning it on and off is not the worst thing to do to have internet access.

Cheers.

Set a smtp email account to check mail every minute it should keep it live

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.