Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Hello,

I bought a new Samsung smart TV which is LED/LCD . While the tv is great I noticed some sort of white spots on my tv when the screen is dark being played in a dark room . Look at the picture I provided below.

Is this an issue? You really dont see it except when lights are off and on a black screen otherwise its hard to notice. It gets a bit on my nerves because while watching a movie it has black horizontal bars above and below the picture . That means i can notice the bottom lights all the movie. Is this repairable ? Should I take back? Or all TVs are this way?

To be honest , by this time I thought tv manufacturers had perfected the manufacturing process and there should be no such issues , especially on an expensive set like this one
bNfcwbu.jpg

dantelo84

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2013
That´s clouding, I had that on one of my screens, and it never went away, well annoying... For me it started after warranty ran out so I could not return it.

Mine was LCD, my new one is LED (samsung series 5) and the blacks are amazing, should not be looking like that at all (unless its the media you are playing, try a blueray movie).

As you just bought it, I would return it and get a replacement while you can.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
To be honest , by this time I thought tv manufacturers had perfected the manufacturing process and there should be no such issues , especially on an expensive set like this one

You realize that everything is mass-manufactured these days right? QA means only pulling something like 1 out of every 100 made to check to see if that ONE has an issue. The other 99 go as they should. Anything you buy (whether electronics, cars, etc.) have a failure rate. That's why we are provided warranties. I get you are frustrated, but to somehow believe that "by now everything should have been perfected" is just silly. Remember, that TV's are constantly evolving. That means new and different manufacturing techniques and techologies. If you want a perfect TV, then go buy an old Tube based. That technology is decades old.... Just sayin.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
see if you have an option for local backlight dimming, that should take care of most of that.

otherwise, if it bothers you, take it back.

You could also go into the store, and check out the floor model of the same tv see if it has the same problems.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
Happens a lot on LCD screens. If it is something that bothers you a lot, take it back and maybe get a plasma tv. They do not suffer from this issue.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Thanks for everyone's input. I will try to see if it can be fixed or replaced. I am so tired of having to research every product we buy now days. Why cant it be like before when u buy a quality brand everything works as advertised

You realize that everything is mass-manufactured these days right? QA means only pulling something like 1 out of every 100 made to check to see if that ONE has an issue. The other 99 go as they should. Anything you buy (whether electronics, cars, etc.) have a failure rate. That's why we are provided warranties. I get you are frustrated, but to somehow believe that "by now everything should have been perfected" is just silly. Remember, that TV's are constantly evolving. That means new and different manufacturing techniques and techologies. If you want a perfect TV, then go buy an old Tube based. That technology is decades old.... Just sayin.

I am sorry but this is false . Now days a lot of products got issues. My ipad 3 has greenish hue to one side. My iphone has a quick battery drain. My tv has white spots. My xbox RROD. even cars has so many issues. Manufacturers no longer care about quality, now they want a product with issues so u can replace as fast as possible . To buy a TV for $1000+ with 1 year guarantee is a joke. The manufacturer actually tells u it wont last much longer than that. TVs live a long time its not something u replace every 3 years. Plus we are talking about multi-$100 products here , not a USB stick. Such products should be manufactured with some care not mass production.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Thank manufacturers of disposable TVs for driving margins down and encouraging the better TV makes the crank out junk.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Thanks for everyone's input. I will try to see if it can be fixed or replaced. I am so tired of having to research every product we buy now days. Why cant it be like before when u buy a quality brand everything works as advertised

I am sorry but this is false . Now days a lot of products got issues. My ipad 3 has greenish hue to one side. My iphone has a quick battery drain. My tv has white spots. My xbox RROD. even cars has so many issues. Manufacturers no longer care about quality, now they want a product with issues so u can replace as fast as possible . To buy a TV for $1000+ with 1 year guarantee is a joke. The manufacturer actually tells u it wont last much longer than that. TVs live a long time its not something u replace every 3 years. Plus we are talking about multi-$100 products here , not a USB stick. Such products should be manufactured with some care not mass production.

So what's false from my statement?!? Seems you made my point. Everything has issues so why you expected your new tv to be devoid of problems was ludicris is my point and you made it well....

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I thought u were defending the manufacturers and that my TV was supposedly the faulty one out of the millions produced, meaning that I just have bad luck.

I am pretty sure they wont take it back here where I live, customer service sucks

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Hello,

I bought a new Samsung smart TV which is LED/LCD . While the tv is great I noticed some sort of white spots on my tv when the screen is dark being played in a dark room . Look at the picture I provided below.

Is this an issue? You really dont see it except when lights are off and on a black screen otherwise its hard to notice. It gets a bit on my nerves because while watching a movie it has black horizontal bars above and below the picture . That means i can notice the bottom lights all the movie. Is this repairable ? Should I take back? Or all TVs are this way?

What model TV did you buy, and how long ago did you buy it?

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Cheap TV's use white-LED backlights on the edge. The spots are probably on the places where the LED's enlighten the diffuser panel on the back of the screen.
It is the fate of the race for the thinnest. Get a CCFL doorstopper model with 8-10cm depth if this is not your liking.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
There is nothing wrong with your tv. That is just the LED backlighting that is projected behind the pixels.

Every LED tv except the high end (read $$$) models suffer from this.

I was so annoyed by this actually that I returned my LED for a Plasma a few months back. That turned out to be the best choice I ever made.

If you don't like Plasma, you may want to hold out and wait until OLED becomes mainstream.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
@irishman
i just bought this new , I paid $1380 for it. its serial is UA46ES6200 .

@cloudsurfer

I am sorry to hear about this. I have been waiting out to buy an HDTV since the Gears of War days (2006). when the time finally came , everyone was so amazed by how beautiful and sharp these new led/lcd tvs are . When I finally bought my tv , I hear they suffer from issues. All my life I have been hearing the issues were with the plasma tvs where they get picture burn-ins . I never heard there where issues with the LCD ones , at least not after 2010 .

As for me , Plasma tvs are a lot less in variety (at least around here) so choihce will be limited , and in the shops the LCD ones always looked more beautiful or vibrant. Thats how I made my choice .

I really am starting to hate todays culture of having to research everything you buy from USB sticks to home building material. Why cant we buy stuff that works as advertised

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
I think that is what is called Localized Dimming. There are an array of LED's behind the screen and the TV is supposed to turn off the LED's if it does not need them. This is all about saving electricity. It also helps the TV produce blacker blacks, contributing to a supposed better picture quality. My old LG LED TV had that setting. I disabled it because when I was watching a dark movie at night, the whole screen was cloudy and made the picture quality very poor. I understand the reason behind Localized Dimming, but it just does not work correct. This is why I got rid of the LED and purchased a plasma. Untill they fix the pixelation, motion blur, and localized dimming, I will always buy a plasma. LED/LCD TV technologically will never have a better picture quality than LCD. LCD's cannot open and close fast enough to make a good picture quality. This is why I am waiting for OLED to come to the mass market. I have not seen an OLED set in person, so I cannot judge. If I were you, take back the Samsung and get a plasma. LG and Panasonic make an excellent plasma.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
I really am starting to hate todays culture of having to research everything you buy from USB sticks to home building material. Why cant we buy stuff that works as advertised

Capitalism baby!

But ya, if you have OCD and this bothers you, I guess you could always pack it up, drive it back to the door, carry it to the counter, and get a new one.

Then again, I guess if this bothers you enough to prompt you to post, you really should bring it back.

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Capitalism baby!

But ya, if you have OCD and this bothers you, I guess you could always pack it up, drive it back to the door, carry it to the counter, and get a new one.

Then again, I guess if this bothers you enough to prompt you to post, you really should bring it back.

LOL! Capitalism! Where the rich get richer and the poor....well...get poorer. I actually like reserching products before I spend my money. It is called being an informed consumer. Big corporations do not like people like me because I vote with my wallet. Most big corporations are hoping people just spend their money on what is advertised. Most big corporations want dumb consumers, so the core-political can run to the bank.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
All my life I have been hearing the issues were with the plasma tvs where they get picture burn-ins . I never heard there where issues with the LCD ones , at least not after 2010 .

As for me , Plasma tvs are a lot less in variety (at least around here) so choihce will be limited , and in the shops the LCD ones always looked more beautiful or vibrant. Thats how I made my choice .

The burn-in problem is almost non-existent on modern plasmas. The technology has come a long way. You would really have to abuse your tv for an image to persist forever.

LED appears more vibrant because it has a brighter light source. With plasma, the pixels themselves light up which results in much dimmer light. This could affect viewing in bright rooms, but in dark rooms plasma has the advantage as the dimmer screen is much easier on the eyes. In my experience however, plasma is bright enough even during the day.

Plasma choice is limited for two reasons: on store displays a LED appears more vibrant and vivid because a store setting is always bright, and a Plasma consumes about twice the amount of energy of a LED set. So, the consumer will almost always go for LED, and the industry makes what the consumer wants...

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
@irishman
i just bought this new , I paid $1380 for it. its serial is UA46ES6200 .

@cloudsurfer

I am sorry to hear about this. I have been waiting out to buy an HDTV since the Gears of War days (2006). when the time finally came , everyone was so amazed by how beautiful and sharp these new led/lcd tvs are . When I finally bought my tv , I hear they suffer from issues. All my life I have been hearing the issues were with the plasma tvs where they get picture burn-ins . I never heard there where issues with the LCD ones , at least not after 2010 .

The brighter haloing effect around the perimeter is normal for an edge-lit LED/LCD TV. The blobs of light in the middle is not normal, however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.