Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Back when I was on a previous version of both parallels and Mac OSX (using a legal version that I won in some sort of contest or another), I had the ability to create a virtual machine that was running actual mac osx. It was something along the lines of "install via recovery partition".

The question is, is there a way I can get this for free, using virtual-box, or some other free/open-source software? I don't want to pay to upgrade parallels because I'm short on cash at the moment, and I don't want to pirate it because I honestly wouldn't trust the install.

The point of this is to do some testing and non-intensive basic research on the operating system (to satisfy my own curiosity): and parallels let me install macos inside of macos, which is what I want to do.

I have virtualbox (and parallels 7 still, although this feature isn't supported on the latest version), although I'm not educated as to how to use it like I am parallels.

Is this possible with virtualbox? etc?

Thank you very much for help, I greatly appreciate it. A google search didn't reveal what I was looking for, the results were primarily hackintosh websites.

:apple:

<3 ring

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.