Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsusser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Medellín, Colombia
I have a very large library, nearly 1TB and 80,000+ songs. One recent iTunes upgrade (11.0?) basically disabled the search function and I had senior support and engineers looking at the problem for over a month. I never got an answer. Then they came out with an upgrade, 11.0.1?, that seemed to fix the problem. But I'm back to having the same problem, though not as bad. One odd thing - searching with anything starting with the letter "T" rarely works. All I get is the spinning ball.

With almost every search, I get the spinning ball for up to 30 or 45 seconds... sometimes, as with T, the ball disappears but doesn't do the search.

Is it possible this is a memory problem? I have 8GB and you I would think that's sufficient and a third party utility tells me I have half my memory available.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I don't have as much in my library as you do, but iTunes takes up 600 to 1GB of RAM and it does act weird most of the time.

You MIGHT try filtering it by clicking the magnifying glass and see if that makes any difference. At least by song.

Animalk

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Montreal Canada
I think the simple answer is your library is quite large and it will take time to query an itunes database of 80k+ songs.

I would opt to simply be patient with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.