Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just two weeks after Sapphire introduced the Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition graphics card for the Mac Pro, EVGA today announced the launch of its GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition. Based on the popular year-old card for PCs, the new GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition carries 2 GB of GDDR5 memory and adds another high-end graphics option for current Mac Pro users.
The EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition graphics card provides many new and key features:

1. NVIDIA GPU Boost Technology - Dynamically maximises clock speeds to push performance to new levels and bring out the best in every game.
2. Support for four concurrent displays; two dual-link DVI connectors, HDMI and DisplayPort 1.1
3. NVIDIA SMX Engine - Brand new processing engine which delivers twice the performance/watt compared to previous generations.
4. NVIDIA CUDA Technology - Unlocks the power of the GPU's processor cores to accelerate the most demanding tasks such as video transcoding, physics simulation, ray tracing and more.
5. OpenGL 3.2 (4.3 in Windows) Support - Support for the most widely-used open graphics standard in the world.
6. OpenCL Support - Supports the latest standards in GPGPU computing.
7. Boot Camp Support - Full support for Microsoft Windows operating system in Apple Boot Camp.
evga_gtx_680_mac.jpg
EVGA did not announce pricing or a launch date in its press release, but Newegg.com is currently listing a $599.99 price tag and a launch date of April 8. The is compatible with Early 2008 Mac Pro (MacPro3,1) and newer models with PCI Express 2.0, and requires OS X 10.8.3.

Article Link: EVGA Announces GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition Graphics Card for Mac Pro

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
That looks an awful lot like the EVGA GTX680 SC card I have in my MP3,1. If this "Mac Edition" has boot support, I wonder if you could copy the Bios across onto PC versions?

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Are those card really PCIe v2, or are they just saying that because current MacPro offer only PCIe v2?

It would be ridiculous for Apple to release a new MacPro with PCIe v3 and have these cards under perform compared to their normal form (PCIe v3 cards).

Also a lot of these cards have standard support since 10.8.3, allowing Hackintosh builders easy installation, what problems are they trying to solve with these cards beside non standard power cables?

evanhindra

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Are those card really PCIe v2, or are they just saying that because current MacPro offer only PCIe v2?

It would be ridiculous for Apple to release a new MacPro with PCIe v3 and have these cards under perform compared to their normal form (PCIe v3 cards).

Also a lot of these cards have standard support since 10.8.3, allowing Hackintosh builders easy installation, what problems are they trying to solve with these cards beside non standard power cables?

I just assume the card is actually PCI-E 3.0, but it's also compatible with PCI-E 2.0 Macs.

Yea, I built a Hackintosh, and using an ASUS GTX680. Zero issue.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Great News! At least there is still renewed interest in Mac Pros and hope this trend continues. Though a bit pricey at $600 for a 2g card, still something to look forward to and smile. :)

PassiveSmoking

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2011
another money grab attempt by a third party hardware manufacturer

Yes, how dare companies try to give us goods and services in exchange for money :)

Seriously though, it's interesting to me that 2 companies released Mac Pro cards in such close proximity. Could this be a sign we're getting an actual new Mac Pro soon?

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
I wonder if this card will work in PCI-E 2 speeds as opposed to what we're all currently stuck with in bootcamp (PCI-E 1 speeds).

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
I don't know either. Was hoping it would be 3g at that price. Maybe the manufacturers are considering the power supply usage.

It's the same on the Windows side for the 680.

Edit:
Okay, it seems there's both 2 GB and 4 GB versions of the 680 card for PC.

"5. OpenGL 3.2 (4.3 in Windows) Support - Support for the most widely-used open graphics standard in the world."

This is quite sad. OS X 10.9 maybe?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.