Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
My username and home folder name on my old MBP (Lion) were [Forename Surname] and [Forename] respectively.

I then created the same username/home folder name on my new rMBP (Mountain Lion) and used the Migration Assistant to transfer files via a Time Machine backup.

However, it couldn't transfer them onto my new username/home folder account because the new one was the same as the old one, so I just renamed the home folder to [Forename1new] to transfer, not realising it wasn't easy to change back, and now I want to change it back to what it should be, but am unable to.

Can anyone help with this!? Very frustrating.

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
That method no longer works as of ML/10.8.

I have Googled it, but people keep coming up with different methods, which some say work, some say don't, and lots of them involve messing around with the root user/terminal, which I am not confident with, so I am looking for a method that will definitely work and not result in me messing something up, which is why I posted here; I know people on here have great knowledge about these kinds of things.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
That method no longer works as of ML/10.8.

I have Googled it, but people keep coming up with different methods, which some say work, some say don't, and lots of them involve messing around with the root user/terminal, which I am not confident with, so I am looking for a method that will definitely work and not result in me messing something up, which is why I posted here; I know people on here have great knowledge about these kinds of things.

Have you tried this? This method does still work as of 10.8. I have done this with my Macbook Air.

There is no method for completing this without getting your hands a little dirty. Fortunately this method doesn't involve the Terminal.

Very simply:
1. Open the Mac HD>Users folder, find your home folder. Rename it to what you want.
2. Go to System Prefs>Users and create a new user account with the exact same name as what you want (same case and everything).
3. Log out and log in to the account of the username you want to use.

Done! you can now delete the other username folder. Naturally I recommend you have a backup of any data that is involved in this process in the unlikely chance it doesn't work.

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Thanks for your post.

Can't get past step 1:
- if I highlight the home folder (currently Karanupdate1) and press Enter to change name, it doesn't allow it to be edited
- if I right click, get info, the field to edit the name of the home folder is greyed out, so not editable.

Also, my username/account name (just my full name) is already the right one, so I didn't understand why I needed to create a new user account?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
My username and home folder name on my old MBP (Lion) were [Forename Surname] and [Forename] respectively.

I then created the same username/home folder name on my new rMBP (Mountain Lion) and used the Migration Assistant to transfer files via a Time Machine backup.

However, it couldn't transfer them onto my new username/home folder account because the new one was the same as the old one, so I just renamed the home folder to [Forename1new] to transfer, not realising it wasn't easy to change back, and now I want to change it back to what it should be, but am unable to.

Can anyone help with this!? Very frustrating.

If I understand correctly what you did, just changing that name is not going to fix all your problems. By using Migration Assistant to import an account into itself like that causes all sorts of duplicate folder problems.

Dis you just recently do this, and do you still have the good TM backup?

If you do, here is the easiest way to fix this.

Create a new admin account called temp. Login to the temp account and delete all other user account and the data in them. Now from within the temp account run Migration Assistant and reimport everything. You old account and all its data will come in clean.

Now logoff temp and login to your real account and then delete the temp account. That should fix you up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.