Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Avid today announced new versions of its flagship video editing and audio production applications Media Composer 7 and Pro Tools 11, as well as two new Mac- and iOS- compatible hardware interfaces for recording audio at home or on the road.

In addition to a number of new features, Media Composer 7 receives a significant price cut, bringing the standard edition to $1000, down from $2500. It will be available in June.

ProTools 11, which Avid says "represents a quantum leap in creative power", gains a redesigned audio engine and 64-bit architecture. The standard edition of Pro Tools 11 is available for $700, with upgrades ranging from $300 to $500 depending on which previous version of Pro Tools is owned. The new version should be available later this quarter.

NewImage1.png
The Avid Fast Track Solo and Duo include Pro Tools Express for recording and editing audio on a Mac, and also connect directly to the 30-pin connector on older iOS-hardware, and to newer iOS devices via the 30-Pin to Lightning adapter.

The Solo provides one mic preamp and one instrument input, while the Duo provides two mic preamp/instrument inputs, and two line inputs.
"Today's aspiring songwriters and musicians want a high-quality, affordable recording solution that's portable enough to let them create wherever they are," said Dana Ruzicka, vice president of Segment and Product Marketing at Avid. "Providing access to the industry-standard Pro Tools family, Fast Track Solo and Duo deliver this capability like nothing else on the market today."
The Fast Track Solo and Duo are available now for $180 and $300 respectively.

Article Link: Avid Announces Media Composer 7 and Pro Tools 11, iOS Compatible Recording Hardware

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Great to see this stuff coming around. Is there any issue with lag using the 30 pin to Lightning adaptor?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Great, now come on Apple give us some Logic Pro love too. Pretty please....

(Those ProTools 11 licences are damn pricy even for upgrade of ProTools 10)

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
FML, this is the EOL for for millions of TDM cards. And if the price wasn't hurting you bad enough for an upgrade, the lack of plugins converting over to the new AAX will be.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
So we now have Digital Performer 8, Ableton Live 9, and Pro Tools 11...

And yet still, Logic Pro X hasn't been released. :mad:

ivanozerov

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
I don't care that my old TDM cards are dead with this version.

I don't mind waiting for updates for some of my favorite plugins.

OFF
LINE
BOUNCING

I have a stiffy under the desk at work just thinking about it.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
to newer iOS devices via the 30-Pin to Lightning adapter

Avid is a bit late to the game with this. There are several other iOS audio options with more to offer. Avid should have gone with native Lightning support to differentiate themselves from the competition.

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
Avid is a bit late to the game with this. There are several other iOS audio options with more to offer. Avid should have gone with native Lightning support to differentiate themselves from the competition.

pretty sure the $599 upgrade for offline bouncing is all anyone who uses this day in day out cares about. everything else is fluff.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC

Unfamiliar with the latest. What are some other reccommended iOS audio recording devices?

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Let's hear it for competition.

I'll admit, I had completely forgotten that the previous version of AVID Protools was still 32-bit.

I'll be interested to see how the speed differences play out in real world scenarios.

DevoAtari

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
Los Angeles
FML, this is the EOL for for millions of TDM cards. And if the price wasn't hurting you bad enough for an upgrade, the lack of plugins converting over to the new AAX will be.

TDM is too old an architecture for 32-bit, even; and there should be a serious overhaul... But I agree there should at least be some support for an exchange or upgrade program. Avid should give incentive for manufacturers of older plug-ins to upgrade to AAX. Like Sonic NoNoise for instance... There's a good chance that will never be upgraded to AAX.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Dear Jeff Beck, Please destroy Glenn Beck. And, if you need to, use your guitar.

I'd be happy for him to ignore Glenn Beck and to use his guitar much more often. Jeff beck is one of the all-time greats on electric guitar.

DevoAtari

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
Los Angeles
I'm glad that they've finally come out with a 64-bit version, but I'm pretty pissed at the cost of upgrade. I understand that it's 100% new code; but back with Pro Tools 7|HD, it only cost $300 to upgrade to 8|HD, which incidentally came with a free upgrade to 9|HD... So, $1000???? I know 7|HD was $800 brand new, and you had to buy HD|Accel card(s), and there is something to say for inflation... But an upgrade... For $1000?? Jiminy H. Criminy!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Nice to see they finally have these features, but they're the last major DAW to go 64 bit (over three years ago for Logic), and all the others have been doing offline bouncing for years. Not much else listed, so this mostly looks like a release catching up to the other DAWs. I guess they also are hyping "more power" but that sounds like they just fixed up the native plugin processing which has never been particularly efficient. And along with that comes loss of compatibility of plugin formats and plenty of hardware - it's a painful and expensive road being a PT user these days.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Nice to see they finally have these features, but they're the last major DAW to go 64 bit (over three years ago for Logic), and all the others have been doing offline bouncing for years. Not much else listed, so this mostly looks like a release catching up to the other DAWs. I guess they also are hyping "more power" but that sounds like they just fixed up the native plugin processing which has never been particularly efficient. And along with that comes loss of compatibility of plugin formats and plenty of hardware - it's a painful and expensive road being a PT user these days.

It does have a sort of Quark Xpress redux vibe to it. ;-)

Poisednoise

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
London UK
I'm not a Pro-Tools user, but to be honest given the way they've treated users of their other software (Sibelius specifically) I wouldn't throw any more money at upgrades to anything Avid still owns at this stage.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
In addition to a number of new features, Media Composer 7 receives a significant price cut, bringing the standard edition to $1000, down from $2500. It will be available in June.
That's one hell of a price cut...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.