Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Citing supply chain sources, Digitimes reports that Apple is expected to see only modest "single-digit" shipment growth for its notebook lineup in 2013, with the 13-inch MacBook Pro in particular seeing weaker-than-expected sales.
Apple was confident about its 13-inch MacBook Pro performance for 2013, but the device's actual sales turn out to be weaker than expected, leaving the company still digesting its inventories in the first quarter.

The sources pointed out that Apple's MacBook Pros have strong attraction to consumers, but the devices' high prices are instead pushing consumers away.
The report also claims that Apple will be refreshing its notebook lineup "at the end of the second quarter", which could mean an introduction at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference expected in June.

apple_notebook_lineup_feb13.jpg

Digitimes had reported in late December that Apple was planning a June refresh for its notebook lineup, and similar timeframes have been claimed by reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and Taiwanese newspaper Economic Times.

Back in mid-February, Apple released a surprise minor update for the Retina MacBook Pro, including a significant price drop for the 13-inch models. Apple also dropped pricing on the high-end MacBook Air at the time, a move that had been at least in part predicted by Digitimes in its late December report.

Apple is likely to use Intel's forthcoming Haswell processors in its next-generation notebooks, and Intel will reportedly be releasing the first mobile Haswell chips in late May or early June.

Article Link: Apple Notebook Refresh Expected Late This Quarter, But Only Modest Shipment Growth for 2013

Last edited:

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
We used to see a lot more Macbook Pro 13" at uni, now more and more people are getting the Air. I would expect that the 13" gets pulled in the near future to simplify the product lines and make the pricing structure more flexible.

XtraSmiley

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
We used to see a lot more Macbook Pro 13" at uni, now more and more people are getting the Air. I would expect that the 13" gets pulled in the near future to simplify the product lines and make the pricing structure more flexible.

Well as long as the Air gets retina, I think I would agree with that.

Also, I'm waiting on Haswell before I take the plunge. Performance has not been up to par for me at the current price.

macus3r

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
Yea whatever

Just some FUD (fear uncertainty doubt) news piece by the fine folks at digitimes. :rolleyes:

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
If :apple: adds discrete GPU to the 13’ Retina, they could gain more attention since people can buy a Windoze PC for cheaper price with better specs these days. Also if they can throw in a SUPER cheap external optical drive as a freebie, it might help. Grandmothers and teenage girls these days are asking "Where's the Disc Drive?" when all they do is check Facebook. :(

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
I believe how it can be hard for consumers to justify paying in the $1400+ range for notebooks, especially if they are switching over from Windows. Being accustomed to the Windows world, the problem I always had with Apple was how expensive their RAM prices & HD prices (ie, you want to upgrade from a base config, but after you add it up it's well beyond your expectations, making you re-think things or hesitate).

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
Agh! June had better really mean June. I was going to buy this month, if the next refresh was expected in august or September, but June is probably worth the wait.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Can't wait for the Haswell refresh of the 13" rMBP and Mac Mini, plan to get both this year once they're released.

agalenko

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
I'd get apple laptop if there was a model with retina display, fusion drive and swappable ram and hdd. Hopefully will happen this year.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Ah, it's called the 13" Retina MacBook Pro with about 3 extra millimeters and a smaller footprint.

Keep waiting though I guess, but don't expect a Retina Air for $1,199.
I hope the future of their laptop line is just one type of machine:
- Air body
- Pro features (external optical if needed)
- Retina display
In 11, 13, 15 & 17" sizes. Add an Apple-designed discrete graphics card (so it'll fit in the Air's body) as a BTO option.

One model. Four sizes. Keep things nice and simple. :)

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
I hope the future of their laptop line is just one type of machine:
- Air body
- Pro features (external optical if needed)
- Retina display
In 11, 13, 15 & 17" sizes. Add an Apple-designed discrete graphics card (so it'll fit in the Air's body) as a BTO option.

One model. Four sizes. Keep things nice and simple. :)

A marketing team's dream.

yearofthe

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
Earth
I just bought the 13" 256GB Macbook Air Friday; should I return it back and wait, or it's not really worth it?

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
The prices need to drop on all the rMBPs. They're too expensive, and I think the numbers are showing it.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Apple was confident about its 13-inch MacBook Pro performance for 2013, but the device's actual sales turn out to be weaker than expected, leaving the company still digesting its inventories in the first quarter.
Confident in the 13" MacBook Pro only to choke on the sluggish inventory? Upgrade the screen to 1440 x 900. You will get SALES from that alone. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.