Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

chrome.jpg
Google has updated its Chrome browser for iOS to version 26, adding full-screen browsing on the iPhone and iPod touch, new printing options, and the ability to save webpages as PDFs to a Google Drive account.

When scrolling down with full screen browsing, the toolbar at the top of the screen will disappear for more reading real estate. Scrolling back down will cause the bar to reappear.

Printing webpages via the Chrome app can be accomplished via Google Cloud Print or Apple's AirPrint, and PDF versions of websites can be saved to Google Drive.
What's New in Version 26.0.1410.50
Fullscreen for iPhone and iPod touch
-Scroll the toolbar off the screen to enjoy the full page of content.
-Quickly re-access the omnibox by scrolling back down.

Printing
-Print web pages with Google Cloud Print or AirPrint.
-Save any page as a PDF to Google Drive

Stability / security improvements and bug fixes
Chrome is a universal app that can be downloaded for free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Chrome for iOS Updated with Fullscreen Browsing on iPhone and New Printing Options

otggamer

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2009
Now if only Apple would let me set Chrome as my default browser w/o having to jailbreak...

UnseenLlama

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Printing just needs to die.

It can be very useful when printing postage labels. Buy postage online, print it thru Google Print if I'm not at home. Now I have the ability directly from my iPhone/iPad, even away. I find this very convenient. Airplay is restricted to being on the same wifi.

gloryunited

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
I've been using Chrome as my primary browser on iPhone.

Safari is lacking, 8-tabs limit, still no omni-search bar, although it got snappier. :p

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City
the only thing lacking in Chrome iOS is the reader feature like Safari has. Cant live without it

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I'm not sure I understand Google's "Cloud Print"-thing...

This is what is lists as my Printers:

VdkOl9P.png

How do I remove these "devices" from the printer selection?

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Save any page as a PDF... why can't safari do this!!??

----------

I've been using Chrome as my primary browser on iPhone.

Safari is lacking, 8-tabs limit, still no omni-search bar, although it got snappier. :p

i had no idea there was an 8-tab limit...

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Printing just needs to die.

I agree in theory, just not practical at the current time, at least for me. If only to print my son's school stuff to put on the fridge to let me know when is what in the morning.

It's hard to pin a pdf on the fridge... And no my life doesn't revolve around an iPad, which I don't need to make sandwiches for my kids... :D

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
love chrome on my iphone, dont remember the last time i used safari. this new zoom feature is neat! it works by itself unlike on safari where u have to tap it and only works holding it to the side which i never do if im not mistaken

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Save any page as a PDF... why can't safari do this!!??

----------

i had no idea there was an 8-tab limit...

Most people don't....generally because most people don't have that many tabs open on a mobile browser.

----------

It would be nice if they let it run on its own engine.

They aren't going to open up the OS to Google.....just isn't going to happen.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
best experience you can currently get with chrome is when iPhone is jailbroken. Set chrome as default, and download Nitrous!!!!

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Now if only Apple would let me set Chrome as my default browser w/o having to jailbreak...
And enjoy all your personal data being taken and used by Google.

Do we really need copy/pasted patch notes of programs by Apple competition posted here?
There's nothing rumourish about this article all. Smells like MacAdvertising to me.

ar3ar2

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
That is very dangerous. Giving them access to Nitro is also dangerous. Both allow you to run unsigned code.

Please don't tell me you actually believe a theory made by some random developer.

The reason Apple does not allow access to Nitro is not to protect you, but to protect iOS from you. That is, they don't want to make it make it easy for you to jailbreak your iPad or iPhone.

Apple does not care about security as much as you think. Just look at the vulnerabilities they fixed in 6.1.3. I quote

1. A local user may be able to execute unsigned code
2. A local user may be able to determine the address of structures in the kernel
3. A local user may be able to change permissions on arbitrary files
4. A local user may be able to execute arbitrary code in the
kernel

4 out of 6 vulnerabilities deal with local users, as in the owner of the device, getting higher privileges or running code. That's not a security threat, unless you consider the owner of the device to be a malicious hacker.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Is this the first release without WebKit?
No, browsers on iOS have to use Webkit.

@ar3ar2: It is not the end user that they are really afraid of but rather the sites that end user might be tricked into visiting through social engineering. That is what makes it a security vulnerability.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Chrome for iOS is great. Continuing to put Safari to shame.

As others said, if only you could set it as the default browser. It's going to happen, Apple will have to add default app switching sooner or later!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.