Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marhowl

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
Prague
I would like to buy Samsung 840 PRO 256GB for my 2009 17" MBP. Should I wait for something newer? I've read couple of articles which said that prices on SSDs are expected to drop in 2013.

I can wait until late May or early June, but it would be great to get that SSD now. So the real question is, am I going to regret buying that Samsung SSD, when in 2 months there may be something cheaper and faster?

Thanks

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
Mate,

I will not expect the price of the pro to go drastically down and since December last year they stayed the same, so buy now if you like to upgrade.

If you are based in UK you can benefit from a cash back of GBP 50.. just in case you did not hear about..

Marhowl

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
Prague
Not in UK. I'm in Czech Republic but I may go to Edinburgh in 2 years to study there heheh

Anyway, the minimum price of that SSD has been quite constant since the beginning of the year. I don't know what that may signify, but it may either stay that way or suddenly drop again

Well, I will probably end up buying it anyway. My two 7200 are making too much noise and produce vibrations, especially the Seagate Momentus XT which I bought 2 years ago.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
The 840 Pro already exceeds the capabilities of the 2009 MBP. Just get a SanDisk Ultra Plus. In a Mac that's limited to SATA-II, it's as fast as the 840 Pro, but significantly cheaper.

You can always take the money you've saved and put it towards an 850 Pro or whatever their next big thing is. Not that it would be a dramatic improvement over the Ultra Plus for your Mac.

LorenK

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Illinois
I looked at various SSD manufacturers and Samsung with its 840 Pro series is consistently given high marks for quality and speed. Because I have a Mac Pro with a number of Samsung HDDs, which have proven reliable, I chose to go with the Samsung 840 Pro 256 Gb and have no regrets, and I won't be checking cost to see if I made the right choice. The improvement in start-up speed is impressive and much more reliable than the start-up with the old WD that came with the Mac Pro.

Memory prices fluctuate, and I remember what happened to HDD prices after the tsunami took out manufacturing facilities in Thailand. My view is that if you need it, buy it.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Currently, the Samsung 840 is the #1 choice. By that I mean not the PRO. The consumer version is just as good, lasting a decade instead of 2 decades. Do you really need the PRO for 20 years?

Also, speed is just a little slower, but then again, more then what the sata II in your MBP can handle.

Ysulyan

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
Currently, the Samsung 840 is the #1 choice. By that I mean not the PRO. The consumer version is just as good, lasting a decade instead of 2 decades. Do you really need the PRO for 20 years?

Also, speed is just a little slower, but then again, more then what the sata II in your MBP can handle.

Hi all,

I'd like to hear some opinion on getting a 840 500GB ($350) vs. 840 250GB ($150).

I have a 09 MBP and currently using a 1TB HDD, so need to transfer the OS + tons of photo files to the SSD, photo processing is my main job.

What do you say?

samov

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
Get the 500 gb one, once you use something bigger you get used to having everything with you...

250 gb is just so small...

If you want, you can exchange you optical drive for a hdd caddy and move your hdd there and your ssd as the main drive.

You can go further and merge them into a CoreStorage volume, aka a Fusion Drive and have them function as one... most used files are kept on the ssd and the bulk on the hdd. You get the best of both worlds.

Make sure you have a functioning Time Machine backup at all times.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
There is nothing better than the 840 Pro imo.

Wait until you find it on sale. I found mine for 191 shipped. Killer deal.

It happens every few months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.