Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With both front and rear casing parts and several case designs for the fifth-generation iPad having surfaced over the past several months, we are starting to get a very good idea of how Apple is drawing on design cues from the iPad mini to design a thinner and narrower full-size iPad.

Building on this concept of an iPad mini-inspired design, several more cases have appeared today offering a additional glimpses at what we might be able to expect from the next iPad.

tactus_ipad_5_4_cases.jpg
iPad 5 case (left) and iPad 4 case (right)

The first set of images comes from case maker Tactus, which shows cases for both the current iPad and the fifth-generation model, with a clear plastic mockup of the fifth-generation model showing how its features would mimic those of the iPad mini.

tactus_ipad_5_case.jpg

Meanwhile, Engadget shares photos of another iPad 5 case leaking out of Hong Kong, with a number of comparison shots showing how the device size and various physical features line up between the fourth-generation and fifth-generation cases.

engadget_ipad_5_case.jpg
iPad 5 case (blue) and iPad 4 case (gray)

With parts and cases already circulating, it can be difficult to tell whether new case leaks such as these are based on genuinely leaked specs or merely on previous information, but the case designs remain consistent with previous leaks and rumors and may offer a decent picture of Apple's plans.

Article Link: More 'iPad 5' Cases Surface Showing Smaller and Thinner Design

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I was more intrigued by the fingerprints and the name Tactus which seemed like fingerprint technology was being promoted. If the phone gets it, then obviously iPads and computers would too.

HadrianM

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2013
most obnoxious watermark ever. Oh.. there is an iPad in there too.

I though the thicker border screen on the iPad - instead of the thin one like the Mini - was a good idea. In many instances you have to hold and iPad with your thumb on the screens edge. This thinner screen and border means my thumb will be on the visible screen and in the multi-touch area. This seems like it would cause problems. Unless they plan on redoing the iOS with a completely horizontal lay out?

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

all I want is for the smart cover to hold when folded around the back instead of flopping around and also the speaker to exit the front so I don't have to cup my hand around it to hear. Doubt either of those things will happen but I will buy anyway lol

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
I though the thicker border screen on the iPad - instead of the thin one like the Mini - was a good idea. In many instances you have to hold and iPad with your thumb on the screens edge. This thinner screen and border means my thumb will be on the visible screen and in the multi-touch area. This seems like it would cause problems. Unless they plan on redoing the iOS with a completely horizontal lay out?

...or if they plan to simply use the technology already plugged into iOS for the past 8 months, which prevents your fingers being recognised as part of an intentional tap or gesture when on the edge of the screen. ;)

Source

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Not so bothered

I've just bought an iPad 4 to replace a gen 1 iPad and while I'm not so interested in thiner and lighter I'm interested to see the direction the platform is going in. iOS 7 is going to have a lot more impact than it being slightly lighter and thinner.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
cases means it's close! Maybe a WWDC announcement?????

Possible but I'd say likely not. As it's a developer and not a hardware event. But Apple has talked hardware in their keynotes there in the past. SO anything is possible.

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Isnt that an odd ratio of height v width? Or is it just the photo making it look that way?

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I've just bought an iPad 4 to replace a gen 1 iPad and while I'm not so interested in thiner and lighter I'm interested to see the direction the platform is going in. iOS 7 is going to have a lot more impact than it being slightly lighter and thinner.

lighter and thinner does matter. Not generation to generation but long term. take an iPad 1 and an iPad 5 and you will surely notice the thinness difference. Little changes over time can make a bug impact.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Looks like a dual speaker to me.

Personally I have been hoping they would have been able to implement one speaker on the bottom and one on the top. Mostly watching videos in landscape mode, I don't see why the speaker(s) should be blasting into one direction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.