Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdanser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
My search results weren't promising, so I am hoping to get some help:

I have a mid2012 MBP. I replaced the stock HDD and Optical drive with an SSD in each and striped those together. I also have an external RAID0 setup in a USB3 enclosure.

Ideally, I want one user account(USER1) solely on the SSD striped raid. Then I want a second user account(USER2) with the home folder on the external USB3 HDD setup. (These two external HDDS were part of a RAID setup in an old mac pro if that makes any difference)

I installed this way a few weeks ago and everything seemed fine, except for a few permissions hiccups, until a few days ago. I now get an error when trying to login to USER2 saying an error occurred and login failed. (Can't login to the account because an error occurred). Nothing jumps out at me when I try to think if I installed anything or changed any settings that would cause a breakage.

Is there any reason I am not aware of concerning why my situation above can't be done?

Background: I am using this MBP as a performance laptop for soft synths when I play music live. I want the SSDs solely dedicated to running Logic/Mainstage and AU programs. I want a separate, second user account when I use my MBP at home for general web browsing, email, etc. The external HDD RAID holds my music, photos, videos, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.