Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noahmateen1234

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
I bought my 13" 2012 MacBook Air last July. It's the most current model. I was wondering, in the system information it says my
Full Charge Capacity (mAH): 5811
Cycle Count: 204
Condition: Normal

Is this low for the computer not being that old? I thought brand new they were supposed to have a charge capacity of around 6700mAH. So if that is correct my battery is already worn down to 86% of the original capacity. If it drop below 80% before July, would Apple replace my battery free of charge under the manufacturer's warranty?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I bought my 13" 2012 MacBook Air last July. It's the most current model. I was wondering, in the system information it says my
Full Charge Capacity (mAH): 5811
Cycle Count: 204
Condition: Normal

Is this low for the computer not being that old? I thought brand new they were supposed to have a charge capacity of around 6700mAH. So if that is correct my battery is already worn down to 86% of the original capacity.
If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of battery health and cycles and computer uptime, among many other things. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
If it drop below 80% before July, would Apple replace my battery free of charge under the manufacturer's warranty?
Yes, if they determine your battery is defective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.