Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
I've heard and been told its pretty bad. And many people are holding back from buying due to the non-retina screen. I have an iPhone 5 and a 15" rMBP. So I know I will be able to tell the difference but how bad is it?
I've never seen the mini so I'm not sure how the quality is.
For those who may wonder how I haven't seen the iPad mini and I own an iPhone and rMBP. I ordered them online.

fiction2040

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2013
This is the worst place to ask that question. I'm sure the apple retina snobs will be here shortly to complain about how the lack of a retina display has deeply impacted their lives in a negative way.

Richal

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
Although I expect the retina display of iPad Mini very much,I don't think the present screen of iPad Mini is bad.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I've heard and been told its pretty bad. And many people are holding back from buying due to the non-retina screen. I have an iPhone 5 and a 15" rMBP. So I know I will be able to tell the difference but how bad is it?
For those who may wonder how I haven't seen the iPad mini and I own an iPhone and rMBP. I ordered them online.

There is definitely a noticeable difference between my nexus 7 and the minis screen. My friend has both and agrees as well. Text is much sharper on the nexus.

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012

The iPad 2's screen is fine. I have it and use it all of the time. The only time you notice it is when you have the two side by side. Your eyes adjust to both screens.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I've heard and been told its pretty bad. And many people are holding back from buying due to the non-retina screen.

It's the same res as an iPad 2 which was fine for folks until they saw the retina although some say they can't tell a difference most of the time, but squeezed into a smaller display..thus the pixels are smaller and more are packed in per inch. It's like 75% retina already.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California

you should have gone to an Apple store and check it first before ordering online. i have an iphone 4s, iphone 5, iPad 3 (retina), macbook pro and yet the mini's screen did not prevent me from getting one. retina or not i need to have it.

fiction2040

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2013
There is definitely a noticeable difference between my nexus 7 and the minis screen. My friend has both and agrees as well. Text is much sharper on the nexus.

Of course the with the nexus 7 you have to zoom in more on the text, due to the smaller screen size. It all comes down to your own personal preference and what you are looking for in a tablet.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California

The quality is excellent. There's nothing wrong with the display. It's just low resolution & pixelated. I knew what to expect when I made my buying decision. For me it was a matter of not wanting to wait.

Apple was already two years behind Samsung (my first 7" tablet) so I sacrificed. But as soon as they offer retina, I'm dumping this & buying the better model.

----------

Of course the with the nexus 7 you have to zoom in more on the text, due to the smaller screen size. It all comes down to your own personal preference and what you are looking for in a tablet.

You are wrong. I have both the Nexus 7 & iPad mini.

Because the mini's text is pixelated its actually harder to tolerate. No zooming is required on either.

Luckily I have 20/20 vision, otherwise I'd be selling the mini. But it's only temporary since I will buy the retina mini as soon as Apple makes it.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
I switched from an iPad retina to an iPad mini.

Sure, there's no comparison in display quality. But after a few hours use, you readjust to the lower resolution and it's fine.

Don't get hung up on retina versus non-retina. The superior form factor of the mini trumps everything else.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
you should have gone to an Apple store and check it first before ordering online. i have an iphone 4s, iphone 5, iPad 3 (retina), macbook pro and yet the mini's screen did not prevent me from getting one. retina or not i need to have it.
Got it for free :p

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
This is the worst place to ask that question. I'm sure the apple retina snobs will be here shortly to complain about how the lack of a retina display has deeply impacted their lives in a negative way.

Dont forget the mini apologists who claim you actually cant see the diference :rolleyes:

MandyAW92

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2013
There is a difference between the screens but it isn't really that noticable for alot of people until you are using the devices at the same time

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

I sold a ipad3 for a mini and it is great, but after having a 15" mbpr for a few weeks the non retina on the mini is noticeable, but the size is a winner.
But then even my 27" 09 imac looks bad after the mbpr.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Thanks everyone!
Also upon reading a couple of articles, it says that the iPad mini has a higher PPI than the iPad 2. Does that mean the text is a bit sharper on the Mini?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
They are phenomenal. Among the best of their time. Color reproduction, clarity brightness.

Just PPI is on the low side for today.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Better than iPad 2 as the ppi is higher. Not as crisp as the iPad 3/4. But honestly unless you slap them side by side you won't notice.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Some people think that since it isn't retina, it is like using sandpaper on your eyes.:eek: But as others have said, while it isn't as sharp it is still very usable.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
It's not retina (duh) but its more than capable and is superior to the iPad 2. I'd also take it over the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 any day all day.

S

syd430

Just hold the mini four times as far from your face. Problem solved. End of thread.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I use my iPad Mini all the time and I think the screen looks gorgeous. Having non-retina doesn't affect its usage for me and I definitely have no regrets buying it.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Thanks everyone!
Also upon reading a couple of articles, it says that the iPad mini has a higher PPI than the iPad 2. Does that mean the text is a bit sharper on the Mini?

Higher PPI, yes, because it has the same resolution on a smaller display. The text looks a bit sharper on the mini than the 2, but still pixelated if (and only if!) you compare it with a 3 or 4.

So if you do like your mini, enjoy it, and DO NOT EVER try to use an iPad 3 or later, as you don't want to know what you're missing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.