Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I'm getting impatient waiting for the 32gb S4. AT&T has confirmed the 32gb, but who knows how long that will be. I'll probably wait 3 more weeks at the most, if I don't hear any confirmation on a date, I'll just pick up a 16gb. I've done just fine with 16gb and 64gb card on my S3, but I really wanted 32gb this time as I plan to keep the phone for at least close to two years.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I read that usable space on the 16GB is 9-ish GBs. That's quite little, but there's expandable storage, so that's nice.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I read that usable space on the 16GB is 9-ish GBs. That's quite little, but there's expandable storage, so that's nice.

On the 16gb S3 it's about 12gb. 12gb down to 9gb on the S4 is a huge difference. I guess all those new features add up to 3gb more. :eek:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
On the 16gb S3 it's about 12gb. 12gb down to 9gb on the S4 is a huge difference. I guess all those new features add up to 3gb more. :eek:

Aye. Here it is from Android Police's S4 review:

"Storage: 9.6GB of usable internal storage. OK, so you get a microSD card slot, and that's great and all, but I can't put apps or games (or Google Music, or Play Movies, or some other content-heavy services) on that, and there's no sign of an impending 32GB S4 coming to the US. What gives, Samsung?"

johnjefferson

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
Aye. Here it is from Android Police's S4 review:

"Storage: 9.6GB of usable internal storage. OK, so you get a microSD card slot, and that's great and all, but I can't put apps or games (or Google Music, or Play Movies, or some other content-heavy services) on that, and there's no sign of an impending 32GB S4 coming to the US. What gives, Samsung?"

Yes you can put apps and games on a card. App2sd

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
How long you plan on waiting?

I asked the local AT&T stores here in Boston. They expect them in the next few weeks. I'll give it like 2 weeks. If that doesn't work, I'll just go to Wal-Mart and pick up the 16gb S4 for $168

johnjefferson

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
As far as I'm aware, App2sd doesn't work on ICS or JB.

Looks like you might be right. Says on XDA Google stopped allowing it starting on 4.1. Oh we'll, another reason I'm not missing leaving Android. Between Google, the manufacturers and the carriers, its getting awfully limited these days on Android. I will still never forgive them for taking out the native tethering in non Nexus devices.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Looks like you might be right. Says on XDA Google stopped allowing it starting on 4.1. Oh we'll, another reason I'm not missing leaving Android. Between Google, the manufacturers and the carriers, its getting awfully limited these days on Android. I will still never forgive them for taking out the native tethering in non Nexus devices.

The tethering decision was more likely the carrier and not Google.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
So what exactly is the SDCard slot for if you can't put apps, music, games or videos on them?

The tethering decision was more likely the carrier and not Google.

His point is still valid though.

pdauser92

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
London, UK
So what exactly is the SDCard slot for if you can't put apps, music, games or videos on them?

His point is still valid though.

SD cards are intended to be used mainly for media files, i.e. music or video. There has been a lot of misinformation spread online about the advantages of having an SDCard slot. If you have a large music/video collection and want to have it with you at all times then that would be a good reason for insisting upon being able to use SD cards in your device. Otherwise in daily use plenty of onboard memory is preferable as it can be used to store any kind of file or app. Also, some games are 1GB+, and will only install to internal memory.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I never tested this and wonder how true it is. This is about the S3, but should apply to the S4 as well if the comment is correct.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/355282-cant-move-apps-to-sd-card/

steelfighter said:
don't cry, samsung did this on purpose and it is a very good thing. You all are very very wrong and take the wrong conclusions. Did one of you actually put the main memory 16GB to the max and saw what happened after that??? Noooooooooo, just bashing on Samsung without knowing that if the main memory is full, it will automaitically store your data to the external SD card. The option to choose to put pictures, video and music right away on the external card is because you can take it out and use it in another device. Apps are mostly device specific. The main memory will also be the fastest to run data from it, so Samsung made the right decision to put everything on the main memory first

So crying babies, wipe your tears. Apps2SD is not a neccessity anymore, Samsung renovates stuff, so' don't cry if you have only 1 kb of your main memory left... run to buy a Sandisk micro Sd at your local store and you will be fine. You don't have to root your Sammy

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I'd like a 32 also, but ATT wasn't able to give me any kind of window. I really don't like using external storage.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I was going to go ahead and get the 16gb version, but I'm being held over nicely by the LGOG I picked up used, so I may wait for the 32gb to show up now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.