Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which hardware will Apple release during WWDC 203?

• retina MacBook Pro

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • non-retina MacBook Pro

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • retina MacBook Air

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • non-retina MacBook Air

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Mac Pro

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • Other

Votes: 9 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
At this point, we all know that Apple is going to reveal iOS 7 and OS X 10.9 at WWDC. It's right on Apple's announcement (http://www.apple.com/wwdc), so it's pretty much a lock at this point. No surprises here.

But then, what everybody is wondering is: will there be any surprises at WWDC? What will they be? In April 23 Q2 earnings call, Tim Cook hinted that new amazing hardware would be unveiled in the fall. He said nothing about summer. That doesn't necessarily mean that new products won't arrive during the summer, but we should not expect something groundbreaking. The conclusion is that there might be some new product unveiled during WWDC 2013, but it probably won't be the iPhone 5S, the iPad 5, or the iPad Mini 2.

There are rumors that Apple may release the next-generation laptops during WWDC 2013, following the release of Intel Haswell processors, a few days earlier. But reports are confusing. We don't know for sure which processors will be released in June, and the exact roadmap of release of Haswell processors. And we also don't know if Apple will use the first Haswell processors that will be available due to the existence of the USB 3.0 glitch Intel reported.

If new laptops are released, what will they be? Will Apple choose to refresh the cMBP line or will it discontinue it? Will the MBA get a retina display?

Besides that, other hardware may be released. The Mac Pro doesn't get a real upgrade in years. The iMac and the Mac Mini might also get an update, but that's more unlikely because the latest versions have been released more recently.

So, what will it be? What do you realistically THINK Apple is going to release this WWDC in terms of laptops?

multitor

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
I could not see how Apple could ultimately discontinue the classic MBP line, it would have disappointed many fans.

Personally, I expect that classic MBP and retina MBP lines will merge in to one,
which would have the best of two worlds: both upgradability and nice screen ;)

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
In addition to iOS 7, I'm hoping for at least an announcement (and a release date if not immediately) of the iPad 5 and iPad mini 2.

As for laptops, I have doubts about retina MacBook Air. New MacBook Pro with Haswell processor is more realistic.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I'm surprised to see as many votes for a non-retina MBP. My best guess is that if anything IS actually announced as a product then the Pro will be the one. It's quite likely that we won't get any actual product details though.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
my money on the MP ... to give the developer and designer a new system to develop all the "amazing" apps under 10.9 for 7.0 , something like that :D shippment 3 month later in small dose

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro.

I really want a new Mac Pro. Just as long as they haven't focused on how to make it thinner.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro. Mac Pro.

I really want a new Mac Pro. Just as long as they haven't focused on how to make it thinner.

:D A super thin tower?...:) I always said that if Apple release a significant upgrade to the Pro ( I wanted one as a replacement for my 2011 iMac) then I might sell my brand new 2012 iMac and grab one....I guess we will have to wait and see.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva

That would be awesome. Especially if they make it thinner. (joke) :p

i know many folks how would be very happy about this. I was re-introduced to the Mac world* when I worked part-time at uni with a department who made documentaries and used Macs for film editing. Come on Apple.

*I had an Apple II growing up and my sis had a Mac in the early 90s, went PC and still use one at home, but do like Macs enough I might get one for my next computer with win 7 and bootcamp.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I'm hoping for a new Mac Pro as well. If the entry level price is affordable I might have to make that my next big purchase!

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
My bet is, Mac Pro or bust.

There is either going to be an update or this is venue where they kill it.

I don't see how they could really just flat out kill it without offering some type of other expandable system. Maybe something like a beefed up iMac with an external thunderbolt expansion card/drive chassis.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
My bet is the Mac Pro, otherwise it will become the most outdated computer still in production in world history. In a way that's a prestigious honor I suppose. Kind of like my Arco Flos floor lamp that was originally produced in 1961 in Italy, and its still made today without a single change, and in resides in the New York Museum of Modern Art. :D

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Wow a lot of expectation for the Mac Pro. I really,really hope people aren't disappointed .

I'm totally prepared for disappointment.....I really hope I'm wrong, butif I'd had confidence that Apple were going to re-design and re-spec the Pro, I would still be running my 2011 27" iMac....I just couldn't wait...needed to get the best re-sale on it, so now have a Maxed out 2012 27".

I would seriously consider selling it if the Pro is properly refreshed though...It's brand new, so won't lose much on it.....Trouble is that if it is a major and comprehensive re-design, it's looking like £4K for the top end....:eek: I'd add 3 27" Ultrasharps to the setup, and the numbers start to get crazy.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I would like to see refreshes for all the MacBook lines. But I really doubt that will happen.

I also understand that people want a Mac Pro. I don't, as I would never buy one of these machines, as it would cost me about US$ 4,500 here in Brazil at the lowest end configuration, and could reach over US$ 20,000, even without the monitor. However, I sympathize with those who live in a country with a less greedy government and that are waiting to buy a new Mac Pro. But I also doubt that it will get a release...

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Criswell Predicts:

There will be a bunch of Devs and Press in attendance.

The words "amazing","fantastic", and "magical" will be horribly overused.

An incredible number of people will follow the live blog.

An even more incredible number of people will watch the video, when released.

A large number of people will be amazed and thrilled by what is presented.

An even larger number of people will bitch and moan about what was NOT presented.

A large number of people will complain that Tim Cook is not as good as what's-his-name was.

I know more, but i'm not telling...

:rolleyes:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Criswell Predicts:

There will be a bunch of Devs and Press in attendance.

The words "amazing","fantastic", and "magical" will be horribly overused.

An incredible number of people will follow the live blog.

An even more incredible number of people will watch the video, when released.

A large number of people will be amazed and thrilled by what is presented.

An even larger number of people will bitch and moan about what was NOT presented.

A large number of people will complain that Tim Cook is not as good as what's-his-name was.

I know more, but i'm not telling...

:rolleyes:

You seem to have a magically fantastic foreknowledge of things to come. Are you an amazing time traveler?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
lol... u lot are all betting on Mac Pro..

Allot of sad faces will be that's for sure since it won't come true....

I bet here, we will not see a Mac book Air Retina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.