Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whocaresit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Think about it.. when he's put in charge of overlooking two entirely separate departments.. wouldn't the quality of work decline? One man should only be in charge of one thing, that is in his area of expertise.

I have a feeling that the quality of hardware is going to decline over the coming years because that is no longer his only primary area of focus due to his new role also as the VP of Software Engineering.
or both Hardware and software (iOS and Mac) are going to take a turn for the worse. :(

A man should only be responsible for one area of work. :eek:
This is basic Business Management 101.

What do you think?

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
More than that, putting a hardware design guy in charge of software sounds like a greater problem. Those two things require vastly different skills and tastes. May be Jony will prove us wrong and iOS 8 will be amazingly more useful and pleasant and iPhone 7 will be put the HTC One design to shame but it will take a miracle.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Given that OS X is stagnating, iOS looks outdated, and Apple's stock prices have fallen 50% from its high, no. Doing nothing would be bad, doing something is good.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
What do you think?

I think nobody will be able to give an informed or intelligent opinion until after we see the product and actually know how it changed.

But don't let that stop anyone.

EDIT
... due to his new role also as the VP of Software Engineering.

I don't think he was given that title, nor that responsibility. It's certainly not on Apple's leadership bios page:
http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/

Ive is listed as Senior Vice President, Industrial Design.

I can certainly see how the visual and interactive design of software might fall under the Industrial Design purview, but those are not at all the same as Software Engineering. I say this as a software engineer and occasional hardware engineer, with many years of experience working with (and sometimes against) designers.

Last edited:

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Did Apple Make a Huge Mistake by Putting Jonny in charge of both Hardware & Software?

No.

Next question.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL

What do you think?

I think that Ive is not the only person designing for Apple...he is the idea guy in charge of of a stable of designers and engineers.

And as Apple has always touted the interrelationship between software and hardware, having one idea guy at the top is not a bad idea (think Jobs).

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
He's in charge of human interface. Craig Federighi is in charge of software.

----------

More than that, putting a hardware design guy in charge of software sounds like a greater problem. Those two things require vastly different skills and tastes. May be Jony will prove us wrong and iOS 8 will be amazingly more useful and pleasant and iPhone 7 will be put the HTC One design to shame but it will take a miracle.

It will take a miracle to put the HTC one design to shame? :confused:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Think about it.. when he's put in charge of overlooking two entirely separate departments.. wouldn't the quality of work decline? One man should only be in charge of one thing, that is in his area of expertise.

What do you think?
First of all, your theory should be one person in charge of one thing - not 'man'. Second of all.... No, I don't think it's a problem at all. Ive has a whole department of designers to work with him. If he is smart some of them are better designers than he is (or will be with more experience). If Ive's 'one job' is to make sure that the HW and SW designs work well together, then he still fits into your narrowly defined "one person - one job" role.
I think nobody will be able to give an informed or intelligent opinion until after w:)e see the product and actually know how it changed.

But don't let that stop anyone.

Though you are right, about waiting... I'm sure we wont' stop anyway....

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
He's in charge of human interface. Craig Federighi is in charge of software.

----------

It will take a miracle to put the HTC one design to shame? :confused:

Why are you reading half the sentence if all it does is gets you confused? :) I wrote if Jony was to look after HI AND HW and radically redo BOTH, that would take a miracle to do it at once with iOS 8 and iPhone 7. I held the HTC One and it is as perfect as any smartphone design could be today - so to surpass it will take radical redoing.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Why are you reading half the sentence if all it does is gets you confused? :) I wrote if Jony was to look after HI AND HW and radically redo BOTH, that would take a miracle to do it at once with iOS 8 and iPhone 7. I held the HTC One and it is as perfect as any smartphone design could be today - so to surpass it will take radical redoing.

The day when Samsung starts copying HTC, we know that Apple has a problem :D

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

I have a feeling that the quality of hardware is going to decline over the coming years because that is no longer his only primary area of focus due to his new role also as the VP of Software Engineering.
or both Hardware and software (iOS and Mac) are going to take a turn for the worse. :(

What do you think?

How could anyone have anything other than an uninformed opinion on this? No one here knows what's coming in the next few months nor do they have any clue as to how Apple works internally. Lastly, I think I'll put my trust in Apple management over you in "basic Business Management 101".

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
I say no.

Attachments

• podcasts.jpg
    podcasts.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 82

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Seems to me.....

not completely bad idea if Apple wants a better integration between interfase and hardware design. Also, we dont know how long this tenure will be or if was prompted by the management shakeup, being only a temporary measure.

Fully agree with another posters when saying we have to wait and see. iOS 7 and the others products coming out the pipeline will show the wisdom or failure in this decission.

:):apple:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

What do you think?

I don't think...I post on MR!!:p

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
you make it sound as if Mr. Ive will be standing there, in the workshop, carving and molding the design for the next Macbook and then run over to program the corners of iOS....but he is so up high he probably never programs a line nor sitting and sketching designs.
He have been through that, now he runs several sub-organizations (who probably hires their own people, without his presence at the interviews) and he makes sure that the people underneath him do good work, having a good insight into design process and knows good design qualities, to make good decisions.

just speaking from experience from large international company, where engineers move up to never touch engineering tools anymore...

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I imagine he has some trusted colleagues who are making day to day decisions. Its a bit like the famous architects. No-one really believes that they get involved in the minutae do they? A few broad strokes with a pen to show a concept and then send the team off to make it work. Then get involved in sifting out the best designs developed from the concepts.

With iOS7, I can imagine Ive outlining the changes he wanted and then letting the team get on with it. Once some ideas were fleshed out, would have focused on the desired "look" and then let them go back an implement it.

He's probably a bit more "hands on" than that but can't afford to be much more involved - the art of delegation and the price of seniority sadly!

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Apple need to hire more people in the USA to solve issues they may face rather that push for profit and kiss china's ass.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
No.

It is worth remembering that Ive's main contribution to the success of the entire Apple product line was in creating devices that were aesthetically pleasing. People bought iPods and iPhones and iMacs because they looked and felt significantly better than any of the competition.

If there is one criticism I'd have for Apple products over the last 4-5 years, it would be that the software sometimes doesn't meet the same aesthetic standard. The much derided skeuomorphism of Notepad and iBooks. (Don't get me started on how garish Game Center looks.)

If Ive can bring the same level of aesthetic magic to iOS and the core Apps, then he will have contributed - once again - to Apple's success.

Ive won't be writing the code, and more than he ran the factories, but his contribution to the way Apple software looks is something he is qualified, like probably no one else in the world, to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.