Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RAWandVITAL

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2013
Howdy everyone,

Glad to finally sign up to this community.

I'm a first time Iphone user since they launched with the 5. Love it. Will never switch as long as they continue to make Iphones.

That being said, I noticed some issues with my battery draining.

When I first purchased my phone I had phenomenal battery life. Then months later, after updating I noticed some hiccups. My battery was draining. I wasn't quite sure it was caused by the updates or some weird apps causing problems in the background.

Today I noticed my battery drained 20% in 4 hours with hardly any use. That just didn't seem right. So I did some digging.

I went into Settings>General>About>Diagnostics and Usage>Diagnostic & Usage Data...

Here you can see a list of crash reports and apps that can be on the fritz. I noticed repeatedly that Siri was showing up. Clicking on Siri and seeing the lines of code I saw that there was error messages and failure messages...

I figured I would try turning Siri off to see how the battery drain would respond. When I turned Siri off I was prompted that it would disconnect Siri from Apples database and if I wanted to turn it back on it may take a while to reconnect, etc? Either way, I turned it off.

It's almost been 2 1/2 hours and my battery only dropped 5%. So I'm not sure what the issue is or was or if turning of Siri was the fix to the battery drain? Maybe Siri has a hiccup with the recent updates pushing out causing constant communitcation between the iphone and Apples database? Dunno, but like I said, it has almost been 2 1/2 hours and my phone only dropped 5%.

Thoughts. Anybody else here try this?

imac275

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2013
I haven't tried it, but a good tip.

I recently had my iPhone 5 replaced (signal problems on the old one), and the battery on the new one is noticably worse.

I have tried restoring it as a new phone, turning on and off all types of apps and services, but no real change. The phone drops about 4% an hour when in standby (twice as much as the old one), but the real concern is that sometimes when I am browsing on 3G it really heats up and uses about 1% a minute!.

Charging isn't a problem, I can do that twice a day if necessary, but I need to know the phone will last a couple of hours from a full charge and it won't always do that at the moment.

Another new one is on it's way from Apple....

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Howdy everyone,

Glad to finally sign up to this community.

I'm a first time Iphone user since they launched with the 5. Love it. Will never switch as long as they continue to make Iphones.

That being said, I noticed some issues with my battery draining.

When I first purchased my phone I had phenomenal battery life. Then months later, after updating I noticed some hiccups. My battery was draining. I wasn't quite sure it was caused by the updates or some weird apps causing problems in the background.

Today I noticed my battery drained 20% in 4 hours with hardly any use. That just didn't seem right. So I did some digging.

I went into Settings>General>About>Diagnostics and Usage>Diagnostic & Usage Data...

Here you can see a list of crash reports and apps that can be on the fritz. I noticed repeatedly that Siri was showing up. Clicking on Siri and seeing the lines of code I saw that there was error messages and failure messages...

I figured I would try turning Siri off to see how the battery drain would respond. When I turned Siri off I was prompted that it would disconnect Siri from Apples database and if I wanted to turn it back on it may take a while to reconnect, etc? Either way, I turned it off.

It's almost been 2 1/2 hours and my battery only dropped 5%. So I'm not sure what the issue is or was or if turning of Siri was the fix to the battery drain? Maybe Siri has a hiccup with the recent updates pushing out causing constant communitcation between the iphone and Apples database? Dunno, but like I said, it has almost been 2 1/2 hours and my phone only dropped 5%.

First thing I would do if my phones battery was draining very fast is to close every app open by double clicking home button and then hitting minus sign. Next I would completely reboot the phone by holding the home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until the screen blanked and Apple :apple: logo appeared.

This seems to resolve any runaway apps that start draining battery.

There is also an app called "System Status", which will show you current cpu usage. (high cpu usage or gps are the two most common battery drainers)

Also, check to see what apps are using your location services, and minimize use of that.

jt2020

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2013
San Francisco
I will try this too, but I don't see how turning off Siri would help if you don't really use it in the first place (in my case).

rizqdan

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2013
Actually you can delete the "Diagnostics & Usage Data" crash report data from your Mac. Connect your iphone to your comp then do this steps;

~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/iDevice_Name/<crash reports>

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.