Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pegatron, a contract manufacturer for Apple that makes the iPad mini and the iPhone 4S, among other products, said today that its second quarter consumer electronics revenue will drop 25 to 30 percent from the previous quarter, reports Bloomberg.

The company says there is a decline in revenue from iPad mini production is "more on demand, while price has been stable", but CEO Jason Cheng also noted that "almost every item is moving in a negative direction" for the quarter. "Not just tablets, also e-books and games consoles".

ipad_mini_white_side-800x109.jpg
The iPad Mini accounts for more than half of Pegatron's consumer-electronics revenue, and the iPhone 4S contributes a majority of sales in the communications division, Cheng said.

"This is a bigger drop than we'd expected," said Vincent Chen, who rates the company buy at Yuanta Financial Holding Co. in Taipei. "We're seeing strong indications from the supply chain that demand for iPad Mini will now fall 20 percent to 30 percent from the first quarter, instead of an earlier 15 percent estimate."
In its quarterly results report in April, Apple issued guidance for expected revenue for the June quarter of $33.5-35.5 billion, a drop in revenue of some 20 percent from the prior quarter.

Reports have indicated that mass production of the display for a Retina iPad mini should begin in June or July, for a planned release well into the third calendar quarter of 2013.

Update: Fortune reports that Pegatron CEO Jason Cheng has clarified the situation, noting that in no way did he indicate weakening iPad mini demand was responsible for the company's projected revenue decrease. The association with iPad mini demand appears to have simply been speculation by Bloomberg based on the device being responsible for a significant portion of Pegatron's consumer electronics division revenue. In an email to Fortune, Cheng wrote:
After the meeting, one reporter from Bloomberg approached me, trying to dig out detail numbers about some specific product. I clearly refused to comment on specific products, nor customers, even though he continued with other questions. I did say those words that he quotes me in the article "more on demand, while price has been stable"..., "almost every item is moving in a negative direction"...; "Not just tablets, also e-books and games consoles". But I did not say anything associated with any specific products.

"No indication, nor hint for specific products or customers" has been our principle and guideline for any public events such as investors conference. There are always speculations after these meetings.

Article Link: iPad Mini Manufacturer Sees Weaker Demand for the Tablet This Quarter [Updated]

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
Bloomberg

The executive does not actually say the cause is the iPad. Curiously, Bloomberg left "iPad mini" out of the specific quote attributable to the executive

Why is that?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
So Apple posts guidance that show a 20% decline and analysts are surprised when the drop looks to be about 20% instead of some arbitrary 15%......

Good heavens....

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
Also

Also, it would be vendor suicide for Pentagron's CEO to specifically call out Apple and falling demand. He runs the risk of Apple significantly reducing future business

I'd like to see some non-Bloomberg confirmation that the CEO actually said this. If he did do it, it calls into question his judgement in running the company

nunomoreira10

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2013
By now almost every family has a tablet, most people are upgrading instead of buying for the first time, demand is going to be less, i guess.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Could it be that people are waiting for the next iPad/iPad Mini? Also, how saturated is the market? If everyone has an iPad already and don't need the brand new gear, of course demand's going down!

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
If they released the retina mini today, I'd buy two without blinking an eye. I'm waiting. (and hopefully with A6)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The executive does not actually say the cause is the iPad. Curiously, Bloomberg left "iPad mini" out of the specific quote attributable to the executive

Why is that?

Stock has been on a nice run, time to bring it down again with misleading reporting.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Likely a huge pent-up demand for the retina mini, and also for the updated big model. Bet it will take awhile to get one after they are announced.

And of course the mac pro, the device Apple would pay to go away, never to be heard from again.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It's because people want retina iPad mini.

No, I'd say it's because the demand for every Apple product starts high and then decreases until it's replaced. (Not sure why this is a story at all, actually.)

I'd expect the same exact thing will happen to the Retina iPad Mini too. When its sales start to slip a half-year after it comes out what do you think the reason for that will be? "Retina" has nothing to do with it.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I've immensely enjoyed my time with the mini and cannot wait for the Retina, it's the only Ipad I have an interest in, my Ipad 4 will be with me for a while to come, it does everything I need and has a fantastic screen.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Is the "planned release" of a retina Mini for real? We know of those plans in a reliable way?

Or is that just unsubstantiated claims getting reported as fact? What about the claims to the contrary... do we know those ones are false?

I smell fictions being repeated... and the repetitions being called "confirmation." The distinction between news and rumor is important--and all but forgotten.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
have we reached a level of temporary saturation perhaps? Perhaps momentarily high on consumerism?

Indeed. The iPad is not the only flat piece of hardware with a sheet of glass on top any more. Although I am sure there will still be people blaming TC, arguing it would not happened under SJ and Safari is all but snappier.

----------

Or is that just unsubstantiated claims getting reported as fact? What about the claims to the contrary... do we know those ones are false?

I smell fictions being repeated... and the repetitions being called "confirmation." The distinction between news and rumor is important--and all but forgotten.

Was posted on the internet, of course its fact ;)

netvvork

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
nonsense

i personally know 3-4 people that are holding out for the retina mini. this thing will sell like hot cakes!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.