Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Okay so I receive invites from my partner who uses Google calendar. I receive it at my iCloud.com email address (on both my Mac OSX 10.8.3 and iPhone 5). I know there's currently a bug in the Mac mail app when opening the attached invite.ics attachment it doesn't add the event to the default calendar I have set.... but that's another matter for Apple to fix.

So I open the email on my iPhone and click the invite.ics attachment and that opens my calendar and asks if I want to Add to Calendar. After the event is added to the default calendar, I open the calendar app and select the added event (grayed out). At the bottom there are buttons for Maybe, Accept or Decline.

Here's the problem - after I select Accept (or any of the choices) it never sends an email back to the originator so they know I have replied. On the Mac it does send a response.

Is there something I am missing???

c.ludvigsen

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2013
I have the problem, except it does not work on ANY of my devices, not on my iPad, iPhone or Air..

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I have the problem, except it does not work on ANY of my devices, not on my iPad, iPhone or Air..

Well I can confirm that this is an iCloud calendar problem. I created a gmail account and added it to my iPhone. When my business partner sends me an invite from his gmail account calendar, I open the invite.ics attachment, choose to add it to my gmail calendar and then accept it in the calendar app, it sends the reply back to his gmail account.

I already sent feedback to Apple.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
I doubt it. Can't believe we are the only two in the apple ecosystem that have this issue.

Not sure i call it a bug as you are talking about Gmails calendar protocol interacting with iClouds. Similar to issues of accepting exchange calendar invites in gmail. But anyway, the way I do it is that first, I click to add to calendar and then accept so it goes from gray to calendar color. I then click the link that should be created in the notes section which is to accept or decline the invite. It opens up safari and there you can choose to accept or decline.

Another way to do it is that when you get the original email invite, in the body of the email invite there is a section asking you to accept, decline or maybe. You can click your response and then add the event to your calendar (or not if you are refusing).

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Not sure i call it a bug as you are talking about Gmails calendar protocol interacting with iClouds. Similar to issues of accepting exchange calendar invites in gmail. But anyway, the way I do it is that first, I click to add to calendar and then accept so it goes from gray to calendar color. I then click the link that should be created in the notes section which is to accept or decline the invite. It opens up safari and there you can choose to accept or decline.

Another way to do it is that when you get the original email invite, in the body of the email invite there is a section asking you to accept, decline or maybe. You can click your response and then add the event to your calendar (or not if you are refusing).

Yes I use the latter you described. But that never sends an email to the originator. So they only know my response if they check the event in their calendar.

Tony Tapir

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2014
Calendar invites

No, you are not alone. I have just moved to a mac from a PC and found the calendar process a bit flakey.

I have tested this a lot.

- There is no option to get emailed responses to invitations - pretty dumb!
- If you sit and wait for the confirmations actually made to stack up in the calendar badge icon, or notification bar, you will be waiting a long time. (Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't
- The coloured ticks do stack up though and match the responses. This is good
- Resending an invitation worked in the Apple shop but has not worked since
- not all invitations seem to get through (a bit random as to which work and which don't)
- When you cancel the disastrous meeting, there is no option NOT to notify people (Apple developers have obviously not had to frequently reschedule global meetings)
- When you enter an invitee from your contacts, you have to be quick, since the auto completed address only stays up a second or two.

All a bit pants really, just like trying to stop an email being sent half way though a disastrous spell check! Very nasty Apple!

My advice is to use invitations with caution, manage it manually, or try MS Outlook.

Come on Apple, it can't be that hard.

Tony (OS 10.9.1)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.