Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Good day.

Ever since I updated to iOS 6.1 a few months back, I've been getting lousy 3G reception. In places where I used to get around 3 bars of 3G, now I cannot even get 3G at all and the phone switches to 2G. Also, in places where I used to get around 4 bars of LTE, I can only get 2G signal now.

Is there anyway I can disable 2G and force my iPhone to use 3G or LTE only? Without a jailbreak.

Thanks in advance.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Make sure you have 3G and LTE turned on. Possible that setting got switched off.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
You might be misunderstanding what's happening.

Your iPhone isn't picking up a quality 3G/LTE signal and is grabbing the only consistent signal it can which is EDGE in your case.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Make sure you have 3G and LTE turned on. Possible that setting got switched off.

It's always on.

----------

You might be misunderstanding what's happening.

Your iPhone isn't picking up a quality 3G/LTE signal and is grabbing the only consistent signal it can which is EDGE in your case.

In the sweet days before iOS 6.1, I could get 4 out of 5 bars of LTE and full signal strength on 3G in my area. Ever since going to 6.1 (now 6.1.4), it's been crap all the way.

So I know that my area has good LTE and 3G coverage. And now I wonder why does my iPhone keep using 2G in my area.

Hopefully this'll get fixed in iOS 7 :D

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It's always on.
So I know that my area has good LTE and 3G coverage. And now I wonder why does my iPhone keep using 2G in my area.

Hopefully this'll get fixed in iOS 7 :D

Your area might have HAD good LTE and 3G coverage, but something change in the network or environment such that the coverage is no longer good at your location.

Can you receive LTE/3G elsewhere without issue?

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Your firmware update didn't cause you to loose service. That's ridiculous to even assume.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
In order to actually answer the OP's question...

Can't be done without jailbreak. Assuming you are jailbroken, download something like SBSettings. There should be an Edge toggle. If it's not there by default, mess around inside the settings (of SBSettings under more) and you should find it there.

HTH!

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Sounds like the towers in the area are having problems. The problems may have started coincidently with your update. I would call your carrier.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Your area might have HAD good LTE and 3G coverage, but something change in the network or environment such that the coverage is no longer good at your location.

Can you receive LTE/3G elsewhere without issue?

Your firmware update didn't cause you to loose service. That's ridiculous to even assume.

Well, my classmates that are still on iOS 6.0.2 can get full 3G and LTE while I can't. And besides, I'm not the only one complaining about this. I've gone through the Apple Support Community forums and there's lots of iOS 6.1 users that complain about loss of 3G reception after updating to 6.1.

Kevin813

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
Yup, this happened to me on my unlocked iphone on tmobile. On ios 6, I could 2-3 bar 3G, and it would be really easy to reconnect if I wash kicked back to edge. Once I got to ios 6.1, I was ALWAYS on edge, and could not establish a stable 3G.
A temporary fix is to go to settings->carrier->automatic off. Then wait for it to load (about 1-2 min) then Click your carrier. It should work, but would need to be done every time you got kick back to edge
This was way to much of a hassle for me, so I sold that iphone and picked up the new aws one when it came out.
Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.