Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The CW has struck a deal that will bring the network's content to the Apple TV, reports Deadline. At the company's annual Upfront Presentation in New York today, CW president Mark Pedowitz announced that the CW's TV Now applications, which are currently available on Xbox 360 and Windows 8, will be coming to the Apple TV as well.

"This year we're reaching more viewers on more platforms," said Pedowitz, speaking of the deal. "We are reaching our audience everywhere they are, and we want you to be with us everywhere we go," he went on to say to advertisers at the event.

cwtvnow.jpg
The CW told MacRumors that the app will function similarly to the company's Xbox and mobile apps and confirmed that it will indeed be an app located on the Apple TV's home screen.
It's a dedicated CW app that will work like our Xbox and mobile and tablet apps - no cable authentication required, full episodes of our shows available next day after air, ad-supported.
The CW's TV Now app for the Xbox offers free full streaming episodes of network shows like The Vampire Diaries with limited advertising. The app also includes additional content like previews and cast extras. Currently, Apple sells CW content through its iTunes store.

While the Apple TV offers apps and digital content from sites like Netflix and Hulu, it does not include apps from television networks. The partnership between the CW and Apple will mark the first network television app available via the Apple TV.

It is unclear if the CW's app is part of a larger initiative by Apple to bring additional apps to the Apple TV. The CW is a joint venture between Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS, one of the biggest U.S. broadcast networks.

According to the CW, the app is set to launch in the coming weeks, though no exact release date was given.

Article Link: CW Strikes Deal with Apple to Bring Content to Apple TV

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
I guess if I were a teenage girl this announcement would have interested me.

Since I'm not, I don't find this announcement enticing.

Nonetheless, it pretty cool that I'll be getting a new icon on my Apple TV (it just blows that none of their shows interest me)-even better still is that a network station has signed aboard!

Now I'm just hoping that this brings forth other network stations to the Apple TV.

Last edited:

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
nice...Apple struck a deal with the red-headed stepchild of the cable networks.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
So what kind of programming does CW have to offer? I mainly watch C-SPAN

The programming is here. It looks like it's for a younger audience.

Does The CW have original content? I thought that it was just The Big Bang Theory and King of Queens reruns.

Regardless, more content is never a bad thing.

I don't see either the Big Bang Theory or King of Queens in their listings.

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
My husband and I enjoy Arrow, which is a CW Network show, that we discovered on Hulu. CW is the only network that we don't receive OTA on our antenna

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Now work on getting more apps please.

Pandora, Spotify, Rdio, MOG, CBS, ABC, HBOGo, NBC, are just a few that come to mind.

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
Anywho, this is good news. I like Supernatural and Arrow. I've been meaning to check out Nikita.

Last edited by a moderator:

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I'd be a lot more excited if I watched shows off CW but this is better than nothing at this point.

Why doesn't Apple have any content from Disney/ABC on the TV at the moment? They are practically joined at the hip.

Also, I see the app getting added to the TV at WWDC.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
cool if this means more apps are coming to my apple tv. first on my wish list would be a NFL networks app.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Apple really needs their own Fiber-to-the-home distribution network. There is absolutely no other way they're going to be able to compete as a media company when Comcast/Verizon/Terrerstrial/Satellite TV is in their way.

They simply will not be able to provide this service without a properly functioning network.

Google is already setting the stage for this battle with their fiber network. Apple will have to do the same, or get out of the content business.

Max E Verde

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
New Jersey
Well, news that "Whose Line is it Anyway?" is coming to CW and that CW will be on my Apple TV within 2 days. I can't wait.

Not that I'll watch anything else on it but it's nice to see this kind of app come to the Apple TV.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Apple really needs their own Fiber-to-the-home distribution network. There is absolutely no other way they're going to be able to compete as a media company when Comcast/Verizon/Terrerstrial/Satellite TV is in their way.

They simply will not be able to provide this service without a properly functioning network.

Google is already setting the stage for this battle with their fiber network. Apple will have to do the same, or get out of the content business.
They are not exactly idiots over at Apple.

kimble3

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
The news in this story is that Apple may be close to opening up the Apple TV to app developers. Also, it may be the first step in having non-broadcast cable channels delivering their programming without having to have a cable subscription.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Anywho, this is good news. I like Supernatural and Arrow. I've been meaning to check out Nikita.

This is sort of a tangent, but you might consider first checking out the original "La Femme Nikita" TV series that ran on USA network (IIRC) almost a decade ago. It took about a season to really get going, but once it did - it was fantastic. The current Nikita seems to be more of a typically mainstream reinvention of that show (not that there's anything innately wrong with that - but Nikita hasn't really pulled me in).

I still remember one reviewer's comment about the older show: "La Femme Nikita makes 'The X Files' look like a hugfest."

(I'm sure someone will want to point out that the whole thing started out with Luc Besson's film "Nikita", which was also great).

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
never heard of CW.

he only app announcement i want to see on ATV is for Plex.

You can get that today with a jailbreak. I run XBMC on mine.

CW carried the "Smallville" Superman series. They currently carry the "Arrow" series about DC Comics' "Green Arrow" character. My wife and I watch "Arrow" as well as the new version of "Beauty and the Beast" (a remake of the series by the same name from the late 80s). They have some soap-opera-type shows that I don't watch like the new version of 90210 and the the horror thriller "Supernatural".

All in all, this is a step in the right direction for Apple. I want every major network to have their app on Apple TV. Looking forward to ABC, Fox, and CBS. Oh, and NBC too if they can get a few more decent shows (used to be my favorite network 20-30 years ago).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.