Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVH-UD04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
Not a techie but into playing/listening to music and looking for some advice here on a new surround sound system that will leverage itunes library from my imac. Also have an ipad, iphone. Not as concerned w streaming video capability but would be nice. We are finishing our basement so wiring is not an issue. I am looking to answer the following questions:

- Best receiver for this situation?

- Abt 7-8 speakers will be wired in ceiling in varying spots, sub on the floor or in wall, should the brand/type matter?

- best apps for this? Id like to be able to control it via my ipad or tv(apple tv?). Dont want to do ipod hookup w aux cable

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Budget, Budget, Budget. It's nearly impossible to give you recommendations for anything if we don't know how much you are willing to spend.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
most of the A/V receivers from major manufacturers (onkyo, denon, pioneer, and more) have airplay built into them now.
as long as your iOS device or computer running iTunes (or airfoil) are on the same network, you can send audio to the receiver over the network.

the computer has the advantage of being able to send to multiple locations at the same time all in sync with each other. iOS will only send to one at a time.

you can control iTunes on the computer from the apple remote app on iOS.

I'm using a Denon AVR-1912 from a couple years ago, and it works well for me. most "base level" receivers should run you about $500.

decent speakers will cost some $$.
I was using a set of 5 yamaha speakers that came with a sub that i bought several years ago. I just updated my front 3 speakers to ones from Polk (TSi200 and CS20, about $550 for the 3) and the difference is pretty dramatic. really don't use the sub anymore as the fronts have good bass (and i live in an apartment) The sound is much cleaner and fuller. and i've moved the old front speakers to the back to get 7.1 surround.

and as general note, when buying AV cables and basic gear go to monoprice.com, you'll save big $$. HDMI cables there are a couple bucks vs $20-30 as best buy, and you'll get the same signal quality.

DVH-UD04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
Thanks for the info. Budget:

Receiver: up to $600
Speakers: up to $1,000

Rough estimates without knowing exactly what I need. Id probably go up to 2-3K total if need be including tv.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Home Theater Suggestions

I would suggest the Denon 7.1 Receiver.
It has an input for an iPod Touch...shows songs on screen
HD-FM Radio
Ability to play internet radio stations on receiver through interface with modem
Can play XM radio
Plus about 4 or 5 HDMI inputs
Video Processing and more
AVR 4310 CI is the model number, hard to find now days but try Amazon.
I would never put speakers in the ceiling unless you just want background music but if you must...go with Martin-Logan.

jlehman

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2013
Receiver: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JOO4YS

Speakers: This is assuming just speakers and no sub (which is highly recommended)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290272 (x2)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290274

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290269 (x2)

Please remember that speaker are VERY subjective, so whatever you buy, go to a shop and listen to them before purchasing.

Polk Monitor Series make a decent starter system. The Onkyo Receiver is decent as well. My Father has the 818 and it's pretty powerful. I have the Monitor Bookshelf Speakers running into a Yamaha Receiver at my house and like them.

As Basesloaded already said you need to go to a speaker shop or BestBuy or some place and compare speakers. They all sound different. I'd say for a basic straight forward beginner system I would start with Polk Monitors. Since you're getting the house wired you can easily swap in for better speakers at some point or maybe the Polks will be just fine. I really wouldn't recommend ceiling speakers because you probably won't get the performance you're looking for in the price range you have. They don't seem as loud and don't have much stereo imaging at all. They might be nice for Surrounds though. But i wouldn't go with in-ceiling speakers at all really they are decent for music but not for movies. Go will wall mounted bookshelf speakers. Maybe consult a Home Theater / Speaker Shop. For more ideas or opinions.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
instead of getting a cheap(er) system, id start with a basic system and work your way up overtime. ie. get a good woofer and some towers to start and then work your way up. since you're finishing you could have the wires run for a later date. this way you will end up with an amazing system that will last you for many years, instead of a cheap(er) system which you will want to upgrade soon

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
I would suggest the Denon 7.1 Receiver.
It has an input for an iPod Touch...shows songs on screen
HD-FM Radio
Ability to play internet radio stations on receiver through interface with modem
Can play XM radio
Plus about 4 or 5 HDMI inputs
Video Processing and more
AVR 4310 CI is the model number, hard to find now days but try Amazon.

Any Onkyo like the 717 or above can do all that for a fraction of the cost of the 4311 or 4310.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Any Onkyo like the 717 or above can do all that for a fraction of the cost of the 4311 or 4310.
Those are old Denon models people are referencing, of their fairly high-end line, which I think were the only ones with built-in wireless at the time. You can find the 21xx/23xx models that are far cheaper with some of these abilities, too.

Or, the newest Denon line just came out (like, a month ago) with more modern capabilities, and they are a completely new model number scheme: AVR-X1000 is the bottom, 4 models up to 4000. The 1000 is $450, the 4000 is $1300, very similar to Onkyo's lineup in features and price. Although Onkyo's is older atm, and being discounted. Should actually be updated soon, itself.

I like both Onkyo and Denon, so I'm not really advising either way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.