Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2009
I have been seeing this commercial when I am at the gym, and it catches my eye every time.

I think this is a good representation of a modern, flat design, with good color choices.

I like how there is no gloss, and its all just about choosing the right colors to blend together and make it look nice. To me, seeing something like this in iOS 7 could be amazing!

http://youtu.be/ieCJ9UdNizU

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think people are confusing flat with monochrome and boring. To me, flat is exactly what I think you're seeing and that is iOS 7 giving up on all those ******** random glossy glares.

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2009
I think people are confusing flat with monochrome and boring. To me, flat is exactly what I think you're seeing and that is iOS 7 giving up on all those ******** random glossy glares.

Exactly. Flat does not mean boring, by any definition of the term!

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
Nice. I like how all the animations flow together in that video as well. Seeing the flat design w/ these type of animations would be awesome in iOS 7. It wouldn't break my heart if they axe the animations either.

Either way they're doomed cuz it'll look too much like Windows 8. J/k lmao

Can't wait for WWDC

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2009
Isn't Windows Phone 7/8 also an example of flat design?

It is. But the design of windows is what people don't like. Apple will use the flat design method, but it will be on their UI which will make it much more aesthetically pleasing.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I have been seeing this commercial when I am at the gym, and it catches my eye every time.

I think this is a good representation of a modern, flat design, with good color choices.

I like how there is no gloss, and its all just about choosing the right colors to blend together and make it look nice. To me, seeing something like this in iOS 7 could be amazing!

http://youtu.be/ieCJ9UdNizU

Oh and by the way. It was flat but skeuomorphic too.

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2009
Reminds me of the design of this app: http://www.propellerheads.se/products/figure/

iOS 7 would be a winner in my book if it looked like this. Very modern, sleek, colorful, beautiful, and edgy. A lot better than iOS 6's look. I like the way the Music app looks right now though.

Much better than Windows 8/Phone 8!

Agreed. That all looks alot like the commercial. I've see a couple music app mock ups that make me wonder if maybe it's time for a change. I don't mind the current app, but my appetite for change has been challenged.

----------

Oh and by the way. It was flat but skeuomorphic too.

Exactly. Flat doesn't mean anti-skeuomorphic. I think there is room for both. Maybe just less extreme for some of the apps.

Personally, I LOVE the iBooks app and how when I read a book on my phone or iPad it does look like a book. That's an appropriate use of skeuomorphism.

ppeyton1143

macrumors member
May 19, 2013
hmmm...nice, i would like to see it in iOS7. by the way, apple's website is also using a bit flat look, would be amazed if apple brings out something like that in iOS7.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
It is. But the design of windows is what people don't like. Apple will use the flat design method, but it will be on their UI which will make it much more aesthetically pleasing.

I know plenty of people who like Windows Phone 8 design (myself included). You're confusing people who don't like Windows 8's tile design on a desktop which people find horrid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.