Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The New York Times reports that a working Apple 1 computer has sold at auction in Germany for a record $671,400, breaking the previous mark of $640,000 set last November at the same auction house. That November record has eclipsed an earlier record of $375,000 set less than six months earlier.

apple_1_breker_may13.jpg
The high prices paid for the machines seem to be explained by the combination of scarcity, a fascination with the early history of the computer age, and the mystique of Apple and its founders, Steven P. Jobs and Stephen G. Wozniak. And some irrational exuberance in the prices, for a machine that can do very little and originally sold for $666 (about $2,700 in current dollars).

"This really confirms the value of Apple-1's," Uwe Breker, the German auctioneer, said in an interview on Saturday.

The buyer, Mr. Breker said, was a wealthy entrepreneur from the Far East, who wishes to remain anonymous.
The Apple 1, one of only a handful working units remaining in existence, carries the signature of Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak and was originally owned by Major League Baseball player Fred Hatfield. The auction included a letter from Steve Jobs to Hatfield offering a trade-in deal on an Apple II board, an offer Hatfield declined for unknown reasons. The identity of the owner who put the item up for auction has not been disclosed.

Update: The New York Times now notes that the Fred Hatfield who was the original owner of the machine was not the former Major League Baseball player and instead was a New Orleans resident who sold the machine in non-working condition to a private buyer for $40,000 earlier this year. The buyer repaired the machine and flew to California to have it signed by Wozniak before placing it up for auction.

Article Link: Working Apple 1 Computer Sells for Record Auction Price of $671,400

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Mmm....

If I had way too much money to the point it has no value for me... I could buy it IF I was a programmer.

What ever, people are people.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
That's almost a $1 million. Pretty crazy. That computer could buy me a couple of nice cars! :D

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Macs have always been expensive, but this is ridiculous, that's it, I'm getting a linux PC! It doesn't even run Mountain Lion! :p

In all seriousness it's almost certainly a fine investment given the historical impact Apple have had and are still having on the world.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Spend your money on what you like, but I can think of a few better things myself.

Whatever. Happy days

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Had they bought this a few years ago, when Apple was on its way up, it would have been a good investment. But now? While Apple's cache is fading? Not so much.

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
Had they bought this a few years ago, when Apple was on its way up, it would have been a good investment. But now? While Apple's cache is fading? Not so much.

Apple doesn't need to be successful in order for these computers to remain valuable. They have a very important place in the history of computing regardless of Apple's continued success.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
...working Apple 1 computer[/url] has sold at auction in Germany for a record $671,400

It would have been $666,666 in keeping with tradition if the buyer hadn't let the auctioneer persuade him he needed the Monster RS232 cable...

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Macs have always been expensive, but this is ridiculous, that's it, I'm getting a linux PC! It doesn't even run Mountain Lion! :p

It's not a Mac.

It is an Apple computer. I'm not sure if it was ever really called an Apple 1 computer, just like the very first Macintosh is just called Macintosh and nothing else, the first iPod is called iPod and nothing else, the first Pentium processor was called Pentium and nothing else.

Apple's cache is fading? What cache are you talking about? The cache in my MBP seems to be working just fine, not "fading" at all if you explain what it would mean for a cache to be "fading".

Amadeus71

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2013
Question about the letter in the video

Does anybody know what the bottom letters mean?

They read:

SJ: ck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.