Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you care about the cosmetic condition of your Apple products

• Yes

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I'm curious whether anyone else feels this way. On most of my products, I don't care about cosmetic condition unless its very obvious as all products scratch with use but with Apple products, I'm very anally retentive about the slightest scratch which develops. Why?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'm curious whether anyone else feels this way. On most of my products, I don't care about cosmetic condition unless its very obvious as all products scratch with use but with Apple products, I'm very anally retentive about the slightest scratch which develops. Why?

Because you're anally retentive, silly person!:p

BTW: Milk of Magnesia or Dulcolax might help.

OK, so I don't get in trouble for being a wise ass, and in the name of being a good neighbor...your name is Legion when it come to concerns about the appearance of you devices. I would suggest that you not worry about it so much...but I know that won't help much. Write it off to enjoying seeing your devices in pristine condition...and don't pathologize it...unless seeing a little scuff causes you to scream, pull your hair out, and weep uncontrollably. Should that occur...seek help!;) :D .

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Because you're anally retentive, silly person!:p

BTW: Milk of Magnesia or Dulcolax might help.

OK, so I don't get in trouble for being a wise ass, and in the name of being a good neighbor...your name is Legion when it come to concerns about the appearance of you devices. I would suggest that you not worry about it so much...but I know that won't help much. Write it off to enjoying seeing your devices in pristine condition...and don't pathologize it...unless seeing a little scuff causes you to scream, pull your hair out, and weep uncontrollably. Should that occur...seek help!;) :D .
But why do I only feel that way about Apple products. I don't care when it's any of my other products, even more expensive ones.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I don't care. I bought a used 2010 MB that had two cracks around the hinge and minor scratches on the lid. No one will ever see it but me so who cares?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
But why do I only feel that way about Apple products. I don't care when it's any of my other products, even more expensive ones.

It's a special new diagnosis...Apple-itis! It's manifested by excessive concern about the appearance of Apple products!

Truthfully...I have no idea why your concern seems to be exclusively associated with Apple stuff. Maybe it's because your read MacRumors, and so many people are fussy about their stuff.

Really, I don't know. All I can suggest is that you quite literally say to yourself..."It's just STUFF, not a wound on a person...not that important!"

:D

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
It's a special new diagnosis...Apple-itis! It's manifested by excessive concern about the appearance of Apple products!

Truthfully...I have no idea why your concern seems to be exclusively associated with Apple stuff. Maybe it's because your read MacRumors, and so many people are fussy about their stuff.

Really, I don't know. All I can suggest is that you quite literally say to yourself..."It's just STUFF, not a wound on a person...not that important!"

:D

Are you actually a shrink?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I'm not anal about if my devices get scratches. But obviously, I do my best not to get them. Does that mean I use an otterbox on my laptop? Nope.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I become a little flustered when I notice the first scratch(es) on any expensive device, but get over it after a couple days.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I definitely care about the cosmetics, but to an extent. All my iDevices (MBP, iPhone 5, iPad Mini) are naked and I don't mind the little imperfections that come from it. Dents, screen scratches, etc. would rattle the cage.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Resale value.

It holds it's resale value, that is why some are really overly concerned with keeping their macbook pros pristine. I have been able to sell my macbook pros to resellers and gotten 1100 - 1950 for my pristine machines. So I am always buying new and upgrading as I go, the previous purchases pay for my future purchases in a way or simply - that I save up to 1000 on my next purchase because I kept my previous machines pristine...

So baby them people, there is no harm in that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.