Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Quotes like products launch when ready and the reductions to the current Ipads. I genuinely think this Ipad 5 will arrive. We have already seen the leaks of the shell..usually if they are in such big leaks a product isn't months off yet. They may be right about an Ipad in September but for me it's more likely a retina Ipad which they seem to be taking longer deciding on. Ipad 5 has already been slimmed no doubt and maybe they have them ready for sale come end of June?

I really think they will be demoing the IOS7 on the Iphone 5, Ipad mini and Ipad 5.

No doubt it will essentially be an Ipad 4 inside with a slimmer shape but I also expect to see the Ipad 4 drop in price too further.

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Quotes like products launch when ready and the reductions to the current Ipads. I genuinely think this Ipad 5 will arrive. We have already seen the leaks of the shell..usually if they are in such big leaks a product isn't months off yet. They may be right about an Ipad in September but for me it's more likely a retina Ipad which they seem to be taking longer deciding on. Ipad 5 has already been slimmed no doubt and maybe they have them ready for sale come end of June?

I really think they will be demoing the IOS7 on the Iphone 5, Ipad mini and Ipad 5.

No doubt it will essentially be an Ipad 4 inside with a slimmer shape but I also expect to see the Ipad 4 drop in price too further.
That's a nice theory, but Apple has always left 3 months beta time before release. Thus this would place iOS7 release to September at the earliest.

Now, would they release iPad 5 with iOS 6?

To me that doesn't really make sense, but why not?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I highly doubt it. Apple has always used WWDC to promote iOS and the iPhone. People are expecting WWDC to see the release of new macbooks, mac pros, iPhones, iPads, and iOS. They can only cram enough new product announcements into one keynote. I think we'll only see the iPhone and iOS 7.

They may say something about OSX but since they pulled developers off the OSX team to work on iOS 7 I highly doubt much if anything will be said.

Remember its a developers conference and while they have used it as a platform to unveil new/updated products its main focus is to give developers the tools needed to write applications and work with any potential betas.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
They may say something about OSX but since they pulled developers off the OSX team to work on iOS 7 I highly doubt much if anything will be said.
Sinc Apple has stated they will be talking about the next versions of OS X and iOS at WWDC, I think the keynote will have a decent amount of time on OS X. And they probably have enough working new or changed features to show them off.

I'm not sure how much hardware will actually be announced at WWDC if any. MacBooks of some sort seem likely and if they have the new AC WiFi, anew Airport Extreme and Time Capsules.

I expect iOS devices to get updated when iOS 7 is available.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
Wouldn't make sense to release 2 new ipads side by side.

OP is likely correct.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sinc Apple has stated they will be talking about the next versions of OS X and iOS at WWDC, I think the keynote will have a decent amount of time on OS X. And they probably have enough working new or changed features to show them off.

Did they? I completely missed that blurb. That will be great if they do.

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
My prediction: WWDC, iOS and OS X previews (confirmed by Tim Cook), new Macbook Pros, new Mac Pros - manufactured in the US.

iPhones/iPod touches/iPads to be announced and updated in September.

Mac Mini and iMacs to have spec bumps in September.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
That's a nice theory, but Apple has always left 3 months beta time before release. Thus this would place iOS7 release to September at the earliest.

Now, would they release iPad 5 with iOS 6?

To me that doesn't really make sense, but why not?

It's possible they would roll out IOS7 earlier. Apple can be unpredictable these days.

They could turn round and put out this software update weeks after the WWDC.

----------

I highly doubt it. Apple has always used WWDC to promote iOS and the iPhone. People are expecting WWDC to see the release of new macbooks, mac pros, iPhones, iPads, and iOS. They can only cram enough new product announcements into one keynote. I think we'll only see the iPhone and iOS 7.

Remember its a developers conference and while they have used it as a platform to unveil new/updated products its main focus is to give developers the tools needed to write applications and work with any potential betas.

They released the Iphone at WWDC in the past so they could easily swap it for the flagship Ipad. Going by rumours the 5S or Ipad 5 seem more ready to launch than the Iwatch or Ipad mini 2.

----------

Wouldn't make sense to release 2 new ipads side by side.

OP is likely correct.

It would but in another sense they target different markets. Some people might buy the mini for someone in their family who is a more casual tablet user. People can't afford two at once.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I doubt they'll announce the next iPhone.
They've announced it before so I think we'll see the iPhone 5s, though availability won't be until July if prior actions is any indication of future actions.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
They've announced it before so I think we'll see the iPhone 5s, though availability won't be until July if prior actions is any indication of future actions.

Iphone 5S + Ipad 5 June conference

Ipad mini 2 + Ipod touch refresh September 2013

October maybe a new product line like Iwatch.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Quotes like products launch when ready and the reductions to the current Ipads. I genuinely think this Ipad 5 will arrive.

I have to disagree. There was no real point in releasing the iPad 4 in the fall and the 128GB model at the top of the year if it was just to use the new connector and have a bigger model. They could have just waited on both and released the iPad 4 in March like always.

The real reason was likely so that all iOS hardware would release with in a month or so of the new iOS coming out. And although iOS 7 will be previewed at WWDC it won't go live until like August/Sept probably with the new iPhone. and then the new iPads in about a month.

----------

1. The conference is for Mac Developers as well as iOS

2. we don't know how many engineers they allegedly pulled off the OSX team, the state of OSX or iOS at the time. For all we know it was two people pulled over to read through the code and look for careless bugs to avoid another wifi-gate like iOS 6 had. And pulled because their phase of Mac OS was finished until the developers start playing with it

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC

every new iphone unveiling was preceded by a preview of the next version of ios. if prior actions are, indeed, an indication of what's to come, we'll see ios 7 in june and a new iphone 3-4 months later.

Iphone 5S + Ipad 5 June conference

Ipad mini 2 + Ipod touch refresh September 2013

October maybe a new product line like Iwatch.

it doesn't make sense to launch the ipad mini and full sized ipad separately. if they're going to be updated, they'll probably be updated together. further, an iphone 5s isn't going to happen until they show off ios 7 and beta test it a few months.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Im 100 percent sure that you are 100 percent wrong OP. Prepare to be disappointed.

I'm 100 percent sure that you are 100 percent right that OP is 100 percent wrong. :)

No way, Jose. If the iPad 5 were being announced at WWDC, that would mean a release date of a week to two weeks thereafter. Which would mean we would've seen multiple parts leaks already and case manufacturers gearing up with new cases. None of that has happened.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
While I agree with many of you that the iPad5 will likely come later there is something to consider.

Apple likely really wants people to buy the more expensive iPad 5 over the cheaper lower margin iPad mini. If Apple releases a iPad 5 that looks like an iPad mini while at the same time releasing an iPad mini with retina (the feature most often cited for why people don't buy the iPad mini even when they really want to) I think it will lead to some consumer confusion and also less potential iPad 5 sales.

Apple may want to stop the inevitable tide of the iPad mini becoming the main iPad while the iPad 5 is relegated to specialty status. Providing the iPad 5 with its own event separate from the iPad mini may be one way to do this. And presumably it is easier to shrink down the full sized iPad a little rather than getting retina into the iPad mini. But yeah...probably wishful thinking...:eek:

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
I'm 100 percent sure that you are 100 percent right that OP is 100 percent wrong. :)

No way, Jose. If the iPad 5 were being announced at WWDC, that would mean a release date of a week to two weeks thereafter. Which would mean we would've seen multiple parts leaks already and case manufacturers gearing up with new cases. None of that has happened.
While I do agree with you that iPad 5 won't be announced at WWDC there have been several part leaks and case leaks for the iPad 5.

A basic google search:
http://google.com/search?q=ipad+5+leak

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
iOS and OS X will be previewed.

I pray that we'll see a major update to iWork and other pro apps.

I suspect we'll see new laptops and a new Mac Pro (at last). Possibly some new Thunderbolt displays. Outside chance for a new Apple TV which will run apps.

iPads and iPhones will come later in the year, each with their own announcement. These are very important and each deservers the full attention of a dedicated keynote.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
It's possible they would roll out IOS7 earlier. Apple can be unpredictable these days.

They could turn round and put out this software update weeks after the WWDC.

No, they really can't. One simple reason: testing. Once a new OS version rolls round it needs to go out for beta testing both for the OS itself and so that developers have time to prep their applications to take advantage of any new features (and, of course, test they still work).

Sorry but WWDC just isn't the venue to introduce new iOS hardware this year. It's not impossible of course but very, very unlikely. It'll almost certainly be OSX and iOS redesign, maybe revised Mac's with Haswell processors, possibly a Mac Pro. Three months from then to beta test iOS7 with a launch for the next iPhone, iPad and iPad Mini in September / October.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.