Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Taiwanese blog Apple.pro, which has on a number of occasions discovered photos of parts from upcoming Apple products, has shared a new photo [Google translation] of what is claimed to be the front panel and digitizer assembly for the upcoming fifth-generation iPad.

ipad_5_digitizer_rear.jpg

The photo, which was posted to a Photobucket account, shows the rear of the part and includes the ribbon cable for the digitizer. Photos of the front of a similar part leaked last month, and both parts are consistent with claims that the upcoming iPad will see a redesign taking inspiration from the iPad mini with narrower side bezels.

It is possible that this could simply be an iPad mini part, but it does appear to be a slightly larger version of that part, appropriate for the full-size iPad with its 9.7-inch display.

Update 7:37 AM: French site NowhereElse.fr has discovered [Google translation] that the photo is actually an iPad mini part, taken from a Chinese part vendor's website.

Article Link: New Photo Shows Rear of iPad 5's Narrower Front Bezel and Digitizer [Update: No]

KrazyBear15

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
South Dakota
iPad Mini design for the full sized iPad is much needed. iPad needs to slim down and drop some weight, looking forward to purchasing my first iPad!

Nathan20

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
iPad 5 redesign has been rumoured for a while now, i think personally the limitation Apple is facing with releasing it soon is the processor as they only released the A6X late last year.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Well now I'll be torn on whether to get this redesigned iPad 5 or iPad Mini with Retina :(

GunZi

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2012
i'll be buying a new iPad, i currently have iPad 3.

not only will it be faster for me but also much cooler looking :)

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Software is the concern for me. Not hardware.

WWDC is what I'm focused on currently.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
I think WWDC will unveil this device.

I think Apple are just playing down product launches but we have seen these leaks for months and I think it will arrive.

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
i'm really not a huge fan of losing the thumb bezel. The 10" is too large to comfortably hold without some amount of grip.

[edit] typo.

Last edited:

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
i'm really not a huge fan of losing the thumb bezel. The 10" is two large to comfortably hold without some amount of grip.

Maybe it will be light enough to hold with the thin bezel. We will see...;)

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
i'm really not a huge fan of losing the thumb bezel. The 10" is too large to comfortably hold without some amount of grip.

[edit] typo.

Unless your hands are much smaller than mine (which aren't very large), you might even be able to stretch and hold the whole tablet from the back.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK

This is my concern as well, I think Apple have convinced themselves that that 'thumb rejection' software in the mini is good enough to migrate to the full size iPad. I can't say I'm looking forward to covering the screen with my thumb on the new one though.

Having said that, we don't know quite how much weight they are shifting off the new device, perhaps it will be comfortable (light) enough to hold it from the bottom in portrait mode.

TreyCox

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Washington, DC
My 2013 will consist of...

iPad 5
iPad Mini (for fiance')
iPhone 5S/6
Playstation 4 or Xbox One

Oh wallet, how horrible I feel for you this year.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
iPad 5 redesign has been rumoured for a while now,

Makes me wonder which came first, the rumor or the panel

i think personally the limitation Apple is facing with releasing it soon is the processor as they only released the A6X late last year.

I suspect their internal decision was to move all iOS devices to the Fall and that is the bigger factor over processors etc

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012

[edit] typo.

Didn't lose enough bezel if you ask me - the side bezel still looks very thick imho

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
They best cut the weight if they're ridding it of the side bezel. I don't know anyone who doesn't feel the need to rest their thumb on the side to ensure they can support the weight of the iPad while hand-holding it.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
My 2013 will consist of...

iPad 5
iPad Mini (for fiance')
iPhone 5S/6
Playstation 4 or Xbox One

Oh wallet, how horrible I feel for you this year.
Ha! I'm a similar boat:
  • iPad Mini (only if it has Retina; if not, then iPad 5)
  • iPhone 5S/6 (whatever they call it)
  • Xbox One (will probably get the PS4 down the road)
  • 13in rMBP (when Haswell lands)
  • Maybe Mac Pro + Thunderbolt Display (if they both get updated)
... I need a job! :eek:

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
so it's still going to have a normal button at the bottom thats going to break after a while?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.