Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
has anyone experienced this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-05 at 17.46.26.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-05 at 17.46.26.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 248

Bammi

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2013
Mail has a new UUID in 10.8.4 so you can manually add it to the plugin's info.plist. This will get the plugin working again, but could run into problems as there is a reason (changes to mail) Apple requires developers to update their plugins.

New UUID's for 10.8.4 :
2183B2CD-BEDF-4AA6-AC18-A1BBED2E3354
19B53E95-0964-4AAB-88F9-6D2F8B7B6037

1) Browse to "~/Library/Mail/"
2) There should be a Bundles(Disabled) folder containing "TruePreview".
3) Browse into "TruePreview/Contents" and open Info.plist in text edit or xcode.
4) Under "SupportedPluginCompatibility UUIDs" add 2 more lines with the new UUID's above. Make sure they match the format of the previous UUID's.
5) Save and Close.
6) Move the "TruePreview" folder back under the non Disabled "Bundles" folder.
7) Relaunch Mail. : )

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Bammi, I was to kiss you. Thank you so much! If this forum had reps, I would pour them on you:cool:

Bammi

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2013
Glad you found it helpful. I really like the true preview plugin. I should have a blog posted soon on blog.macsales.com with the info there too. Thanks for the compliments. :)

-Brian
Macsales.com

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
More support here than from the dev. No updates on his site with plenty of ticket posts asking for this. Hope more people support the dev so he feels its worth updating

rsatria

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2013
Thank You!

Bammi, thank you for the info on how to restore True Preview Functionality. It works perfectly!

Hello Apple - Add this feature to Mail...

eveningclouds

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
SF Bay Area
Fantastic fix! Developer no longer operational?

Your fix for TruePreview for Mail worked great. I have no understanding of what all those numbers mean, and am normally very reluctant to go under the hood. But I did it, and am very happy (so far) as a result.

The developer has been absent now since September. He is still taking donations but certainly not answering his mail or support requests. Code is available online so I guess someone could buy it from him and reissue?

Mail has a new UUID in 10.8.4 so you can manually add it to the plugin's info.plist. This will get the plugin working again, but could run into problems as there is a reason (changes to mail) Apple requires developers to update their plugins.

Virtual Steve

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
Still broken for OSX Mavericks (OS 10.9 DP1).

Any idea as to how to fix this....

OK, let me just state at the outset that I am not a developer, so I have no access to Mavericks 10.9. My guess would be that there is a new version of Mail.app in Mavericks, so the UUID's will not be same as posted by Bammi, since those are the Mail.app UUID's for Mountain Lion 10.8.4.

To find out if there are new Mail.app UUID's in Mavericks, you can try running these 2 commands:

defaults read /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/Info PluginCompatibilityUUID

defaults read /System/Library/Frameworks/Message.framework/Resources/Info PluginCompatibilityUUID

Hopefully that should return two different strings that are the new UUIDs for Mail.app running under Mavericks. You then need to add those strings to the info.plist file found in TruePreview.mailbundle, following the same instructions posted above by Bammi. Hope that helps, but like I said, I have no access to Mavericks, so I cannot confirm whether in fact the Mail.app UUID's have been updated.

gspannu

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
UK
OK, let me just state at the outset that I am not a developer, so I have no access to Mavericks 10.9. My guess would be that there is a new version of Mail.app in Mavericks, so the UUID's will not be same as posted by Bammi, since those are the Mail.app UUID's for Mountain Lion 10.8.4.

To find out if there are new Mail.app UUID's in Mavericks, you can try running these 2 commands:

defaults read /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/Info PluginCompatibilityUUID

defaults read /System/Library/Frameworks/Message.framework/Resources/Info PluginCompatibilityUUID

Hopefully that should return two different strings that are the new UUIDs for Mail.app running under Mavericks. You then need to add those strings to the info.plist file found in TruePreview.mailbundle, following the same instructions posted above by Bammi. Hope that helps, but like I said, I have no access to Mavericks, so I cannot confirm whether in fact the Mail.app UUID's have been updated.

Does not work...

a) The second UUID (Message.Framework) does not exist in OSX 10.9 (Mavericks).

b) Putting the 1st UUID (Mail.app) does allow Mail to load TruePreview, but it does not work.

TruePreview does load, but does not show any accounts. See attachment.

TruePreview.png

So, in effect, TruePreview still does not work.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Better log this with the dev. Seems like a race to see who will get there first: the forum members here or the developer for a fix! :p

davek11

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2013
Having a problem with this., Please help

HI ,

I have tried this fix a while ago and it worked like a charm but recently had to install an update and tried it again and it is not working this time and i don't know why. I checked in the bundles disabled folder and it was empty, then I noticed there was a "bundles disabled folder 1". This was probably due to the fact that I have done this before as previously stated. So I checked the bundles disabled 1 folder and the files and folders i was looking for were in there. I opened the Plist file and went to edit it. I noticed the info (New UUID's for 10.8.4 :2183B2CD-BEDF-4AA6-AC18-A1BBED2E3354 19B53E95-0964-4AAB-88F9-6D2F8B7B6037) in that file was already there and I am assuming it was from the first time I did this fix. I moved this folder to the bundles folder (non disabled) and restarted my email.. but it is not working... can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? did I forget a step? any advice would be great....

see attachment showing a screen shot of the above with highlighted details

oohh BTW I am using Version 10.8.5 build 12F37

thank you

Attachments

• true-preview.gif
    true-preview.gif
    183.7 KB · Views: 268

Virtual Steve

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
@davek11

A couple of things have changed recently. If you keep your version of Mountain Lion updated, you are now on v10.8.5, and Mail.app is now on v6.6. The UUID's you are referring to are only for Mail.app v6.5, so they will not work for the new version of Mail.app.

The good news is, the developer has already updated TruePreview to be compatible with OS X 10.8.5 and Mail 6.6, so this workaround is no longer needed. You can grab the current version of TruePreview (v1.8a7) from the developer's web site here:

http://christianserving.org/project/truepreview.

Hope that helps.

davek11

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2013
that worked!! thank you !!!

do the the old UUID's that i put in there before (work around) need to be removed for any reason?

thanks
davek11

Virtual Steve

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
Nope - those are just UUID's for previous versions of Mail.app. They are also included in the Info.plist file from the developer (his web page lists all of the supported versions of Mail.app going all the way back to v5.0 if you're interested). But there is no need to remove them.

You can delete any /Mail/Bundles (Disabled) folders that you have, as those are no longer needed. Just don't delete the /Mail/Bundles folder!!

nimbusx

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2008
10.9 GM broke TruePreview

Hi Guys,

Same issue as we all face. I contacted the developer but no response yet. I used to be able to use MailPluginFix but the beta for 10.9 did bring back the preference pane under Mail's preferences, but unfortunately the 5 seconds I use are not working.

Hope a fix can be found soon...

shokk

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2008
MailPluginFix worked in getting the Plugin to be 10.9 compatible, but it’s not keeping messages unread when I click on them. I really need that! I see this plugin hasn’t been updated since 2009 so I think we need a new plugin author. :(

jedi-knight83

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2010
Why oh why do apple just not build this into Mail themselves!? Such basic functionality that everyone wants!

sgeorge

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
Not yet. But I am waiting for that. Hopefully it will come soon. I couldn't find any alternatives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.