Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mars83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Ireland - Poland
Howdy!
I'm from Europe and my friend is going to USA (a student so she has discounts! :D). Currently I have Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 with i7, 8GB, GTX660M and FHD screen. I love Apple's design + OS X but couldn't afford it - agree here sometimes Mac's are overpriced :p Anyways I'd like to know is there any point for me in getting MBP without/with Retina.
So a little about myself: I'm computer studies student so I do programming (at least I try with C and C++ :D), as a student I have to be quite mobile. Also I watch TV shows in HD (so called 720p/1080i/p rips), I like to play some newer games e.g. BF3, SimCity, SC2, GTAIV, D3 etc. so I will have BootCamp and Steam installed. Other things I do are Skyping, messaging via communicators, browsing, music and whatever You have in Your mind :p

EDIT:
I know that GT650M in MBP is roughly 10% slower than GTX660M but I heard that GT650 in Mac is overclocked a little bit.
I have 2 external HDDs in USB3.0 enclosures and they are NTFS formatted - I'd like to keep it this way, so are there ways to have write/read possibility under Mac?
And why are they quite many problems with USB3.0 hubs under Mac? I definitely will get one so I'm curious as I don't want to buy something that won't work

Last edited:

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
No one needs retina. I don't, but I am getting one because I like the idea of a super-high res screen with flexible resolution options. It helps if you will be word processing a lot, as I am. But you have to decide if a super sharp screen is worth a few hundred dollars more to you.

mars83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Ireland - Poland
No one needs retina. I don't, but I am getting one because I like the idea of a super-high res screen with flexible resolution options. It helps if you will be word processing a lot, as I am. But you have to decide if a super sharp screen is worth a few hundred dollars more to you.
Maybe I won't word process but I will write code so it will be quite similar job.
So is Mac worth of getting in my case? :)

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
Maybe I won't word process but I will write code so it will be quite similar job.
So is Mac worth of getting in my case? :)

No. Your machine is totally capable right now, if you want a machine to game on, keep using your laptop you have now instead of paying for a machine that costs that much money to just do the same thing on a different machine.

If you want to do everything else I recommend a MBA 13", if you want to use OS X of course.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
In your shoes, I couldn't justify the retina premium. Try to make the switch to OSX while putting as little money into the process as possible. The proceeds from your Lenovo should get you at least half way there. The student discount or buying refurb will further cut down on out-of-pocket. As has been mentioned, I would look at the 13" models. And yes, you can get drivers like Paragon's NTFS to write to Windoze partitions.

mars83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Ireland - Poland
No. Your machine is totally capable right now, if you want a machine to game on, keep using your laptop you have now instead of paying for a machine that costs that much money to just do the same thing on a different machine.

If you want to do everything else I recommend a MBA 13", if you want to use OS X of course.
In your shoes, I couldn't justify the retina premium. Try to make the switch to OSX while putting as little money into the process as possible. The proceeds from your Lenovo should get you at least half way there. The student discount or buying refurb will further cut down on out-of-pocket. As has been mentioned, I would look at the 13" models. And yes, you can get drivers like Paragon's NTFS to write to Windoze partitions.

Well, I want to switch to Mac completely because I can do everything on it - games are not that important to me especially I play little as 3-4 hours per week and mostly it's SimCity (which will be available on Mac in August). Also I'm planning to get non-Retina 15" MBP as I could modify it as I want e.g throw dvd away and put SSD there or install custom RAM.

I'm confused now :p

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Well, I want to switch to Mac completely because I can do everything on it - games are not that important to me especially I play little as 3-4 hours per week and mostly it's SimCity (which will be available on Mac in August). Also I'm planning to get non-Retina 15" MBP as I could modify it as I want e.g throw dvd away and put SSD there or install custom RAM.

I'm confused now :p
Then get it! The 15" is a great computer and Apple might discontinue it this year or soon, so if you find a good price, you should go for it.

mars83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Ireland - Poland
Then get it! The 15" is a great computer and Apple might discontinue it this year or soon, so if you find a good price, you should go for it.
I'm waiting for Apple conference to decide what to do.
I asked so many people, and I got so many different responses :p

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
I'm waiting for Apple conference to decide what to do.
I asked so many people, and I got so many different responses :p
Right because you ultimately have to make the decision, not strangers from an online forum. :)

mars83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Ireland - Poland
Right because you ultimately have to make the decision, not strangers from an online forum. :)
Well for example my mom (LOL) said to keep the cash for after graduation to have it for start :D
One of my friends told me to get Mac (his gf is doing C++, Ruby etc on it) because it's good and Apple is still quite prestigious so going with it to interview might impress future employer :cool:
Well I wanted to get Apple MBP since I was into computers but now I'm so confused because also Apple is having 2 different MBPs and it's hard to decide what is better. 1) Retina - crisp screen but hard time with upgrades, or 2)"old" MBP with 1680x1050 screen and many different ways to upgrade.

PS. Where in States (Chicago, Il area)/Internet I can get Macs with good prices and chance to change configuration?

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Well for example my mom (LOL) said to keep the cash for after graduation to have it for start :D
One of my friends told me to get Mac (his gf is doing C++, Ruby etc on it) because it's good and Apple is still quite prestigious so going with it to interview might impress future employer :cool:
Well I wanted to get Apple MBP since I was into computers but now I'm so confused because also Apple is having 2 different MBPs and it's hard to decide what is better. 1) Retina - crisp screen but hard time with upgrades, or 2)"old" MBP with 1680x1050 screen and many different ways to upgrade.

PS. Where in States (Chicago, Il area)/Internet I can get Macs with good prices and chance to change configuration?

First, don't buy a Mac to have a status symbol and impress a potential employer. For good stores: Apple store/website, Best Buy, B&H, J&D, Amazon. Go on Applesliced.com for the best prices if you decide to buy a Mac.

mars83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Ireland - Poland
First, don't buy a Mac to have a status symbol and impress a potential employer. For good stores: Apple store/website, Best Buy, B&H, J&D, Amazon. Go on Applesliced.com for the best prices if you decide to buy a Mac.

I would, but only you know what you can afford.
Of course I'm not buying a Mac to impress!. I was just showing some suggestions from friends. For my that just would be normal work tool.

I decided to get it and sell my Lenovo. I'm not hardcore gamer and laptop is not for games. I will save some money to buy m-atx PC for games later :)

I can afford 2000-2500$ must include Apple Care

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.