Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At today's WWDC keynote, Apple introduced a new Maps app for the Mac. The app, which is similar to the iOS version, supports Flyover and points of interest. Users can add directions and locations to their bookmarks, which can then be sent directly to the iPhone as the two apps are able to sync with one another.

The new Maps also allows for better system wide mapping integration. For example, the redesigned calendar app incorporates maps, allowing directions to meetings to be inserted directly into calendar events.

apps.jpg
Apple is also planning to bring iBooks to the Mac with a new dedicated app. On stage, Craig Federighi demoed textbooks in the new iBooks app on the Mac, showing full screen videos and demonstrating the note taking capabilities of the app.

The app incorporates study cards that are drawn from notes taken while reading, in order to facilitate better studying habits. Both of the new apps will be available with the release of OS X Mavericks. Mavericks will be available for developers today and will be released for the general public this fall.

Article Link: Apple Announces New iBooks and Maps Apps for OS X Mavericks

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The most annoying part about it are the sheep that clapped about iBooks. Again, there is no reason why this shouldn't have been here all along.

uttamo

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
Why does an operating system need Maps? If you have internet access surely you'd use Google Maps or something else that's reliable.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
The most annoying part about it are the sheep that clapped about iBooks. Again, there is no reason why this shouldn't have been here all along.

Maybe that's why they clapped? I've been wanting it since I don't think I can stand reading a book on an iPhone long term. I hope reading on a 13" MBP will be pleasant.

Why does an operating system need Maps? If you have internet access surely you'd use Google Maps or something else that's reliable.

Apple fans that are wanting to stay in the Apple ecosystem. When I'm at home I've looked up stuff on Google Maps and then had to search again on Apple's Maps when I'm in my car. Being able to sit at home, plan my stuff, have it sync with iCal (Calendar??), then just push it all to my iPhone makes everything so much nicer. I'm not sure if you can do that with Google Maps, maybe if you have an Android device.

caf9128

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2007
Anyone else get the preview invitation in the last week or so for the new Google maps? It's very, very good. I really like how when you search maps the results show up on the map itself, with the font size indicating relevance.

I'll try Apple's new maps, but Google is going to be extremely hard to top.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
that's my feeling about it as well. Seems like Apple could have just created maps.apple.com to serve the same purpose. A standalone application for Maps just seems odd.

My video stream started messing up right before they announced this and there wasn't much detail on here or Engadget, but isn't Maps a bit more integrated into OS X than just a website? That's what I gathered at least.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010

Maybe because of the one click built-in sharing of maps and directions from the Mac to the iPhone?

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010

So that someone can put their 17" Pro on their dashboard and drive.

Or someone more sensible can plan or look up directions to some where on their computer. Sending them to a phone makes it even better.

Deedlez

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
UK
The maps app was obvious, but hadn't occurred to me that there'd be an iBooks OSX app. Despite my Apple devotion, I do my e-reading on my Kindle. Can't see that changing.

Maps looks good, liked the integration with Calendar in one of the screenshots. It's all being cleverly woven together. And it all just works!

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Anyone else get the preview invitation in the last week or so for the new Google maps? It's very, very good. I really like how when you search maps the results show up on the map itself, with the font size indicating relevance.

I'll try Apple's new maps, but Google is going to be extremely hard to top.

It's pretty but the routing can still be flaky
I used it last night to drive home avoiding highways. It took me on a longer route than I found myself.
Same last week. It routed me through the most traffic infested route instead of a faster route

caf9128

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2007
It's pretty but the routing can still be flaky
I used it last night to drive home avoiding highways. It took me on a longer route than I found myself.
Same last week. It routed me through the most traffic infested route instead of a faster route

Google maps wasn't updated for mobile devices, just the desktop version, and that's still in preview mode. Mobile version update coming soon, I'm guessing. Regardless, as you may have heard, Google is rumored to be buying Waze in a billion dollar deal. That should make mobile G maps even more awesome once integrated.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
that's my feeling about it as well. Seems like Apple could have just created maps.apple.com to serve the same purpose. A standalone application for Maps just seems odd.
Some of these apps are to demonstrate how to take advantage of specialized APIs for third party developers. It'd be nice if there was a companion website along with the apps and APIs though.

----------

Regardless, as you may have heard, Google is rumored to be buying Waze in a billion dollar deal. That should make mobile G maps even more awesome once integrated.
I wonder if FTC will approve the acquisition.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa

I hate it when I'm at a concert and people cheer when the band comes on stage. I'm always like "About time, my ticket said they were going to start 10 minutes ago!"

Personally I think iBooks is silly. Papers is much better for what Apple seems to suggest people will be doing.

Last edited:

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota

You are completely missing the point. The biggest part is providing a Map SDK for developers. Right now there really is no native way to provide mapping solution for Mac OS X apps unless you use a Web View which does not provide nearly the same experience.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Deep OS integration. Apple aren't just interested in showing maps; they're interested in using this information throughout the OS. For example, the new Calendar integration that automatically shows you the travel distance by car or foot to whatever you've added in it. Or the new OS X feature to share the driving directions to someone's iPhone on the road via iCloud. Google Maps hasn't got a clue on how to do that.

While Google Maps does have a public API, I doubt they're willing to support the rather large user base of OS X with API access. It's not really the intention with it.

Because Apple now has an own map service, they're free to use it however they wish. We're only now starting to see the fruits of this effort; I'm sure there is more to come in the future. It's being used for non-obvious things too, such as the new automated "moments" display in iOS 7. It uses the geographic metadata to map the coordinates to locations in their map service (reverse geocoding).

Last edited:

caf9128

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2007
Google Maps hasn't got a clue on how to do that.

Well, obviously, they do have a clue as to how to do that; they already do that and more, just on Android devices. Android devices can not only send maps to phones, they do it automatically if you have Google Now, along with offering turn by turn navigation as soon as your phone starts moving. It's really already way beyond what Apple is offering.

Obviously, I'm a Google Maps fanboy...

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I sent a bitchy e-mail to Tim Cook quite some time ago complaining about the ridiculous situation where you could buy an iBook on a Mac, but not read it. There you go - he listened to me! Ha ha.

While I was at it, I had a bit of a gripe that ML zealously prevents you from taking a screen grab of an iTunes movie (when no such restriction exists on an iPad). I'm not so hopeful that they will reverse that bad idea, though.

stormj

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
California
I sent a bitchy e-mail to Tim Cook quite some time ago complaining about the ridiculous situation where you could buy an iBook on a Mac, but not read it. There you go - he listened to me! Ha ha.

It's not in the first beta. Maps is. It's OK

----------

Well, obviously, they do have a clue as to how to do that; they already do that and more, just on Android devices. Android devices can not only send maps to phones, they do it automatically if you have Google Now, along with offering turn by turn navigation as soon as your phone starts moving. It's really already way beyond what Apple is offering.

Obviously, I'm a Google Maps fanboy...

Why is every other post on this thread one simultaneously bragging about a feature another company has and at the same time complaining that Apple added it?

Is there some rule that only the first person to have something can ever have it that I'm not aware of? Are we all patent trolls now?

Personally, I'm glad when Apple adds things that others have that are nice. No one (rational) is saying that Google doesn't have good stuff. And, please, it's not like everyone hasn't borrowed a thing or two from Apple....

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Google maps wasn't updated for mobile devices, just the desktop version, and that's still in preview mode. Mobile version update coming soon, I'm guessing. Regardless, as you may have heard, Google is rumored to be buying Waze in a billion dollar deal. That should make mobile G maps even more awesome once integrated.

the routing is still done behind the scenes, not on the client

so even if the desktop version is prettier and faster the routing is still so so. OK for when you don't know the directions, but you are better off finding your own faster way in a familiar area

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.