Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yustas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Hello,

In Safari, when I select a word and do a "right click," one of the options is "Search with Google." To open it in a new tab, I need to hold the Command key, but is there a way to set it to always open in a new tab without pressing the Command key?

Thanks.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Well... sort of.
When you right-click, don't select "Search with Google," instead go to "Services" and select the "Search with Google" there. That one will open in a new tab.

Not much of a solution, but it's the best I've got.

yustas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Well... sort of.
When you right-click, don't select "Search with Google," instead go to "Services" and select the "Search with Google" there. That one will open in a new tab.

Not much of a solution, but it's the best I've got.
I wonder why the "services" path opens it in a new window, but the shorter path does not. Strange.

DJDeals.com

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2014
Simply hold Command when you click Search With Google in the right click menu to open the results in a new tab.

MLinneer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
Sherman, TX
My installs may be different but I have 2 "Search with Google" entries in the right click popup menu on both Safari 7.01 on my MBA and in Safari 6.1.1 on my iMac running 10.7. The top one opens search results in the same tab and the bottom one opens in a new tab.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-04 at 10.09.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-04 at 10.09.28 PM.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 294

MLinneer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
Sherman, TX
I should add...

Both my installs are updates, not clean fresh installs. I had Lion when I bought the Macbook Air and imported everything with Migration Assistant. Then I just did the upgrades to Mountain Lion and Mavericks rather than reinstall everything. I also used to run Glims on both machines and I think it adds some search features. Maybe the 2nd search menu item is an artifact from when I removed Glims? It works though so I've never done anything about it.

IndyBob

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Indianapolis
My installs may be different but I have 2 "Search with Google" entries in the right click popup menu on both Safari 7.01 on my MBA and in Safari 6.1.1 on my iMac running 10.7. The top one opens search results in the same tab and the bottom one opens in a new tab.

This is the way mine is also.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services and check "Search with Google"

It creates a new menu command to open in a new tab, but you will still see the old one at the top which is kind of annoying. I don't know why they didn't just make it the default behavior to begin with, Apple can be so difficult at times.

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
Alternatively, look at Popclip? Costs a few $$, but brings plenty to the table. It has a Google search option, which opens directly in a new tab - with a search of the selected text.

Barhen

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2013

Sorry for bumping an old thread BUT I am wondering if anyone figured out how to remove the top google search, I never use it and its annoying seeing 2 of them in the right click menu. (I prefer the one that opens in a new tab on the bottom)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.