Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vercingetorix

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2007
Atlanta, USA
I downloaded NNW the day I got my first Mac over 10 years ago. Today I downloaded the beta for a quick look, and then deleted both the beta and the old (current) version from my machine.

Presumably no statement on sync (other than that it's "coming") means that they're going to roll their own service rather than use one/some of Feedly/Feedbin/Feed Wrangler etc. But I need to do something this week, and I've never liked any of the NNW iOS apps. I've held out as long as possible to see what Black Pixel were going to do about NNW on the Mac, but now it's time to move on.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
I downloaded NNW the day I got my first Mac over 10 years ago. Today I downloaded the beta for a quick look, and then deleted both the beta and the old (current) version from my machine.

Presumably no statement on sync (other than that it's "coming") means that they're going to roll their own service rather than use one/some of Feedly/Feedbin/Feed Wrangler etc. But I need to do something this week, and I've never liked any of the NNW iOS apps. I've held out as long as possible to see what Black Pixel were going to do about NNW on the Mac, but now it's time to move on.

is there any info on NetNewsWire's own service?

Vercingetorix

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2007
Atlanta, USA
is there any info on NetNewsWire's own service?

Nothing. I wrote them to ask and they replied:

We're still not ready to provide any details on our upcoming sync solution

....which strikes me as an oddly empty statement to make during RSS Decision Week. About the only way I can parse it is "We're not planning to support any of the existing third-party sync services, but we don't want to come out and say so and drive any potential customers away."

No choice but to move on in some other direction. Bummer.

flight

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Nothing. I wrote them to ask and they replied:

....which strikes me as an oddly empty statement to make during RSS Decision Week. About the only way I can parse it is "We're not planning to support any of the existing third-party sync services, but we don't want to come out and say so and drive any potential customers away."

Thanks for bringing up that point. I was just about to pre-order for $10, but I think I'll switch to either Reeder 2.0 or Vienna. What I'll miss are the keyboard shortcuts and the combined/unified layout which Vienna is still sorting out.

I use RSS for many things: Keeping track of my favorite YouTube channels, new posts on my subreddits, downloading podcasts, and of course, news. The current version of NNW is great, as I can keep some folders synced with Google Reader and other folders local. Google really shook things up when the decided to shut down Reader.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Yep... I was watching this also and feel the same way. It would take a lot of faith to pay for an app with an as yet unspecified sync method and no info on what it might cost.

Sticking with Feedly for now.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Feedly has no app so i might bite the bullet for netnewswire IF they support feedly and coloured icons in the sidebar

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Feedly has no app so i might bite the bullet for netnewswire IF they support feedly and coloured icons in the sidebar

I believe they (NNW) already said they only plan to use their own sync setup, so I don't think you will see Feedly sync in NNW.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
2 email and no response. I guess NetNewsWire doesn't want my money

A company trying to get a hold on the market not answering emails doesn't look like a good bet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.