Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelfields

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
I've seen posts talking about the possibility of live icons but I installed beta 2 and my clock icon is definitely live.

If someone has posted this then mods please delete.

Here are two screenshots so you can see that it moved (look at the red seconds hand)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 196

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I've seen posts talking about the possibility of live icons but I installed beta 2 and my clock icon is definitely live.

Here are two screenshots so you can see that it moved (look at the red seconds hand)

This has been a feature since beta 1 was released. Probably was one of the first points in the All The Little Things thread :)

michaelfields

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Posting from my phone and had to post once for each attachment.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 136

michaelfields

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
This has been a feature since beta 1 was released. Probably was one of the first points in the All The Little Things thread :)

Oops my mistake! I'll try to delete the post from my phone. If not hopefully the mods can. I just noticed it today haha ;D

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Really hope it leads to live weather icon.

Clock is local, and can be continued internal to the iPhone.

Weather, requires data, and location.
1. polling data and location use more battery.
2. data uses up limited data plans
3. if data not available, does it show inaccurate old data?
4. current weather is not useful, should it show next 4hrs, next day, etc?

Want to know the weather is now? Glance up at the sky, instead of fishing into your pocket for your smartphone, unlocking it, and looking for the icon. :GENIUS:

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011

Want to know the weather is now? Glance up at the sky, instead of fishing into your pocket for your smartphone, unlocking it, and looking for the icon. :GENIUS:

Condescending people are so awesome. I wish I were as cool as this.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Looking at the sky won't tell the ambient temperature from my office.
They did add weather information to the Today tab in the Notification Center. Not sure how often it updates or if it shows exactly the current temp./weather information, or just a generic one for the day overall (as I have it turned off so that it doesn't keep on updating in the background consistently).

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Looking at the sky won't tell the ambient temperature from my office.

According to him it will. Looking at the sky from your office window will easily tell you if you should wear your jacket when you walk to lunch.

Jazz Cameron

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013

Yet in the settings theres an option for data to be refreshed in the background, if people didn't want that or had limited data plans they could turn that off. Surely they can use that to update the icon too. Oh and lose the attitude.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009

He raises some interesting points, but this is true he is definitely condescending...

Windows Phone 8 does this just fine.

1. Pulling Data would be set to update once every hour or when unlocked
2. Include Option to update only on Wifi
3. If data is not available, replace temperature with generic weather icon
4. Current weather is useful. If the user wants more info, then they would launch the app (that's why it's there in the first place).

As someone who has limited data (200MB), I wouldn't be worried about data usage for this as it would be negligible.

NiKeZz

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Topeka, Kansas
I don't see what's so difficult about pressing the app and loading the weather. You already had to unlock the device, one finger wag isn't too much to ask is it?

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ

Agreed. For me, the extra data and battery drain (as minimal as it might be) isn't worth it.

An on/off option for a static/dynamic icon would be a nice compromise, but I don't know how feasible that idea is?

A live weather widget that could sit on the lock screen would be another nice option and could be more useful than a tiny icon simply showing the temp., but I doubt they would want to clutter the lock screen with widgets considering how much of an effort they are making for a clean/minimalistic overall design.

Localized live icons like Clock and Calendar (I could see Calendar being truly useful to glance at, whereas the Clock icon is more of a gimmicky thing) make sense (for me), but something that requires data and location and only provides fractional value, isn't worth it to me. I would rather just tap the Weather icon, open the app, and get the forecast for the next few hours or the entire day. That's just me though.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Oddly enough in Beta 1 my "live" clock was displaying the wrong time and I never did figure out where it was getting that info. Oh well Beta 2 fixed it.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I don't see what's so difficult about pressing the app and loading the weather. You already had to unlock the device, one finger wag isn't too much to ask is it?

You could say the same about anything in iOS...It's just convenient.

aldoF

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
According to him it will. Looking at the sky from your office window will easily tell you if you should wear your jacket when you walk to lunch.

it actually does, just gotta look at the people out there and you'll be able to tell if it's hot, how hot, raining or windy...quite amusing. :D

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast

Hopefully, more developers decide to create live icons for their apps. I would love to see my homescreen filled with animated icons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.