Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
I use Apple TV to stream my iTunes videos to my TV via home sharing. My iTunes library is on a NAS with the iTunes library set to NAS location. This works fine but after a while iTunes has reset the library to the default means I can no longer watch any of the files on the NAS. I can go back into iTunes preferences, point the library location to the NAS and everything works ok until iTunes decides to revert to the default file storage location again.

I running iTunes on an old C2D mini with Snow leopard and teh laets version of iTunes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I had a similar setup a few years ago and ran into problems with iTunes losing track of the media folder on the NAS. Don't recall the specific problems I was running into, but what I ended up doing was a link -s to make the iTunes Media folder from my NAS mount into ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/ (so iTunes basically "saw" the media as being in the default location). It worked that way for quite a while, until I got a new Mini and moved everything to local storage off the NAS.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
an alias works for this also. (same thing as link -s, but lets you do it graphically)

1. quit itunes
  2. go to the actual folder that your music is in
  3. right click
  4. "make alias"
  5. drag that back to the music/iTunes folder in your home folder
  6. rename it as "iTunes Media"*
  7. restart itunes.

*you'll need to delete the iTunes media folder that's there, so make sure you've got everything out of it that you need.

at the very worst if it looses your libary, you'll need to restart iTunes once you're connected to your library, and it will all be found again.

i do this all the time, i also have a backup copy of my library on an external drive that i take when i travel. I can just replace the alias with one that points to the external instead of the network.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
I had a similar setup a few years ago and ran into problems with iTunes losing track of the media folder on the NAS. Don't recall the specific problems I was running into, but what I ended up doing was a link -s to make the iTunes Media folder from my NAS mount into ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/ (so iTunes basically "saw" the media as being in the default location). It worked that way for quite a while, until I got a new Mini and moved everything to local storage off the NAS.

Thanks. I'll try that as well. I can't remember if that automounts the folder.

I tried setting up a folder that would automount via:

10.0.1.18:/SharedMedia /Users/userid/Test url automounted,url==cifs://usierid:password@10.0.1.18/SharedMedia 0 0

but the folder Test would not be visible until I unmounted it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.